BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2014 6:57 pm  #61

Re: Mary's Death

Willow wrote:

I agree that people with dangerous jobs are not precluded from family life, but our John is less likely to be able to persuade a friend to take over his practise for a few days than the original; it's difficult to see how they would work out the mechanics.

He could work part time or even better locum. This days many GPs have portfolio careers combining some ad hoc clinical practice with other pursuits. Granted it's usually management, public health or academia, not chasing criminals.

March 6, 2014 9:40 pm  #62

belis wrote:

Willow wrote:

I agree that people with dangerous jobs are not precluded from family life, but our John is less likely to be able to persuade a friend to take over his practise for a few days than the original; it's difficult to see how they would work out the mechanics.

He could work part time or even better locum. This days many GPs have portfolio careers combining some ad hoc clinical practice with other pursuits. Granted it's usually management, public health or academia, not chasing criminals.

I don't know why they didn't stick him in as an A&E locum; perfect opportunity to work when he wants to and go off on adventures when needed. Now they've lumbered him with a practise and a wife who works for him at said practise, so there's the problem of selling his practise and rather less chance of the canon solution - Sherlock Holmes ruse of a relative buying Watson's practise.

They should have consulted you in the first place!

However, I suppose Moftiss don't realise that it's pretty common for medics to get desperate texts pleading for them to do even half a shift, so our John may be condemned to suburbia for a while...

March 6, 2014 9:52 pm  #63

Willow wrote:

However, I suppose Moftiss don't realise that it's pretty common for medics to get desperate texts pleading for them to do even half a shift, so our John may be condemned to suburbia for a while...

I agree that AE would suite him perfectly. Regardless of what exactly he did in the army (surgeon, medic, GP) he could walk straight into a middle grade in AE. No need to suspend disbelief. Plus I think it would suite his temperament  much better. With the current recruitment crisis they would love to have him.

March 7, 2014 3:31 pm  #64

I see a problem with Mary being moved to the background, because "Sherlock", as a show, is not just about nice little adventures John and Sherlock have: there is always a higher game on stake. So it is ok in ACD canon to have Watson occassionaly go with Sherlock to solve some crime when his wife is conveniently otherwise occupied (but even ACD tired of this and killed Mary, ) but I cannot see it in the series. Also, John's and Sherlock's relationship is the core of the show and all too intense for it to be retrograded to just John or Sherlock popping up now and then in their respective friend's place, IMO.

March 7, 2014 3:59 pm  #65

miriel68 wrote:

I see a problem with Mary being moved to the background, because "Sherlock", as a show, is not just about nice little adventures John and Sherlock have: there is always a higher game on stake. So it is ok in ACD canon to have Watson occassionaly go with Sherlock to solve some crime when his wife is conveniently otherwise occupied (but even ACD tired of this and killed Mary, ) but I cannot see it in the series. Also, John's and Sherlock's relationship is the core of the show and all too intense for it to be retrograded to just John or Sherlock popping up now and then in their respective friend's place, IMO.

Well, that summarises the reasons why I assume Moftiss have plans for Mary to go out with a bang, rather than a whimper; I can't see any way of making suburban John fit into the Sherlock Moftiss have created, nor can I see them coming up with a ludicrous 'Sherlock, John and Mary go on adventures together', leaving the baby with a live-in nannie, and, finally, I really cannot see Mycroft as a child minder

Of course, it's always wise never to say never, particularly when Moftiss are involved, but my instinct is that Mary's past includes some villains past and present with links to Sherlock; the last shot of her at the airfield looking scared and clutching John, with the repetition of the line she used at the very beginning about Sherlock, but now about Moriarty, is, presumably, intended to hint at that fact After all, she's a (possibly) retired assassin; why is she all of a sudden doing the scared little woman bit?

March 7, 2014 4:08 pm  #66

You know as much as it makes sense that Mary won't stay in it forever, every time I read a Moffatt/Gattiss interview I go back to this niggling feeling I have that they are toying with the idea of a John/ Mary spin off.
I know people say it's not canon, but how do we know what adventures Mr and Mrs Watson might have had when Sherlock wasn't around?

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 7, 2014 4:10 pm  #67

Tinks wrote:

You know as much as it makes sense that Mary won't stay in it forever, every time I read a Moffatt/Gattiss interview I go back to this niggling feeling I have that they are toying with the idea of a John/ Mary spin off.
I know people say it's not canon, but how do we know what adventures Mr and Mrs Watson might have had when Sherlock wasn't around?

uahhh, nononono!!!
*runs away *don't want to know!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 7, 2014 9:24 pm  #68

Tinks wrote:

Don't think we need to worry...remember...Mary as the horned devil..cuckold figure.
All bad guys branch off Moriarty and the baby isn't Johns.

March 7, 2014 11:21 pm  #69

lil wrote:

Tinks wrote:

Don't think we need to worry...remember...Mary as the horned devil..cuckold figure.
All bad guys branch off Moriarty and the baby isn't Johns.

No, a thousand times no!  No spin off since if they do I shall switch off 

March 8, 2014 3:39 am  #70

OK, someone needs to monitor the casting calls when they start casting the new series to see if they're looking for cute little girl toddlers. That could give us a clue to the direction they're heading in. *Ugh*.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

March 8, 2014 12:40 pm  #71

Swanpride wrote:

What for? They are so sneaky, they will either do a secret casting, or do one either way even though they don't plan to have a baby girl in the story.

Yeah, you've got a point - although apparently they did publish casting calls for some of the folks we saw in this last series - the little girl at the bonfire, the train guy - who turned out to be real characters.  But a toddler for #4?  Yeah, they would probably hide that or fake it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

March 9, 2014 6:23 pm  #72

I really don't know what to think about Mary's "future".

At the end of TEH, I was practically convinced she was a "bad guy" and so I haven't been surprised to see her shooting at Sherlock in HLV.

But I never imagined they would make her pregnant.

Moftiss obviously have a very good reason for that, something they may have planned from the beginning, yet I still have no idea what they're going to do with a pregnant Mary.

Although it would be the closest thing to canon, I can't see them killing both her and the child while giving birth (ie. between S3 & S4 and barely mention their death in S4), that would be too "easy" and I can't imagine them "wasting" that much energy on her character in S3, having a whole episode about her wedding with John, and having her pregnant if it was to kill her and the baby first thing after S3.

I think she's gonna stick aroung for at least one more season, but I really don't want to see a kid around, I don't know, I just don't like the idea. So there's still the "problem" of the baby.

I think her character was interesting in S3 and did bring something into the plot, but even if she repented for good, I still wouldn't be able to like her, to trust her. And as long as she'll be around, she'll remain between the boys and it could never be like before (well, ok, even if she hadn't been around, things could never have been like before between John & Sherlock, because TRF has affected them both in different ways, but still). So I want her out out the story (yes, well, blame it on my Johnlocked perverted mind )

But how? 

Killing her? Then she'll have to do something very bad before which would help John grieve (just a little...) easier. If she died while giving birth, or in an accident, or to save either John or Sherlock, John will be too broken (even worse if the child dies too). The guy has already suffered enough when he thought his best friend was dead. You can't have him grieve a second time, can you? There would be a feeling of déjà-vu. Unless that bad fate would increase his taste for danger, but still...

Having her out of the storyline through a divorce or a change of identity (again!) [ie. make her live with the child under protection somewhere)? I still can't see that working.

So I really don't know...

And I share the same opinion as Willow. When I saw HLV, and when I saw how Mary seemed panicked at the mention of Moriarty, I thought it really wasn't a coincidence.

She's linked to Moriarty in some way. Either she has worked for him (and so she's afraid he --or whoever's behind the whole "miss me" thing-- will go after her OR she's going to work for "him" again --can't really see that happen as she's pregnant, she will want to protect her child at all costs-- OR she's afraid John discovers the connections she may have had with Moriarty --maybe she's got something to do with TRF-- and this time, doesn't forget her), either she has worked against him (and again, is afraid that he'd go after her)

Just like old times...

March 9, 2014 9:42 pm  #73

I think it′s time for John′s sister Harry to appear.
She will seduce Mary with her charm (since she is probably similar to John) and Mary will abandon John and settle down with her eventually.
They will bring up John′s daughter together.
It wouldn′t be such a loss to John then – everything stays in the family.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 9, 2014 10:54 pm  #74

nakahara wrote:

She will seduce Mary with her charm (since she is probably similar to John) and Mary will abandon John and settle down with her eventually.

That is deeply twisted.

It's also hilarious, which probably means I'm twisted as well, but, having watched Mary transformed into a scared little woman on the news of Moriarty's apparent return, I doubt that Moftiss are going to go for something as innovative as your solution. She is, after all, eminently capable of killing him, so it is likely to be about what Moriarty knew, rather than worrying about him going after them.

Incidentally, I'm wondering if Sherlock's deduction regarding the woman married to 3 identical triplets is a harbinger of Moriarty's identical twin brother...

March 9, 2014 11:32 pm  #75

nakahara wrote:

I think a female client being attracted to Mary (as reported in John´s blog) might be a foreshadowing of your scenario. And we also have a live-in nanny for little Sheryl that way, so.. perfect! 
But.. but I kind of settled for the Tardis-solution now! They could all still travel through time together, couldn´t they?

(Time to go to bed now I guess..)

March 10, 2014 6:05 am  #76

Zatoichi wrote:

nakahara wrote:

I think a female client being attracted to Mary (as reported in John´s blog) might be a foreshadowing of your scenario. And we also have a live-in nanny for little Sheryl that way, so.. perfect! 
But.. but I kind of settled for the Tardis-solution now! They could all still travel through time together, couldn´t they?

(Time to go to bed now I guess..)

Ha!   Don't go to bed yet!
The Tardis solution is very gratifying. 

But I do so love the idea of Harry returning.  Maybe even with her
new 'partner' in tow,  (in disguise of course,  though we may just
recognize her, fresh from Karachi via a witness protection program
perhaps, in full battle dress...)

And heaven help Mary against those odds.  

March 18, 2014 8:01 am  #77

Swanpride wrote:

I thought about it...and it occurred me that it would be no problem at all to keep Mary away from the action. In the first episode she will be most likely still be pregnant and giving birth. Which will effectively put her out of the picture. And after that it might be necessary to leave her and the baby (if it survives) in a safe house.

Seriously? Victorian time is over. A woman (an ex-assassin) will not stay at home feeding the baby while her husband is happily running down the streets of London to catch bad guys with Sherlock Holmes. I would personally hate that, it doesn't make sense to show Mary like a unconventional woman (BAMF) and to make her suddenly a housewife?

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 18, 2014 9:14 am  #78

Ozymandias wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

I thought about it...and it occurred me that it would be no problem at all to keep Mary away from the action. In the first episode she will be most likely still be pregnant and giving birth. Which will effectively put her out of the picture. And after that it might be necessary to leave her and the baby (if it survives) in a safe house.

Seriously? Victorian time is over. A woman (an ex-assassin) will not stay at home feeding the baby while her husband is happily running down the streets of London to catch bad guys with Sherlock Holmes. I would personally hate that, it doesn't make sense to show Mary like a unconventional woman (BAMF) and to make her suddenly a housewife? 

Most women need at least a few weeks recovery time after childbirth, before they do something besides try to survive and keep the baby alive. Mary won't be an exception to that. So when we see her again, I don't think it'll be unbelievable if yes, they do keep her at home for a few weeks in their timeline. ???

It'll be easy to kill Mary off, when the time comes, either in childbirth or at the hands of some Bad Guy.  I think everyone likes AA, though, and I don't think the showrunners will be in any hurry to kill off her character. In fact, my opinion is that we won't see her die in season 4-- it'll take longer than that. As to what TPTB will do with the baby, I have no idea. Maybe it'll end up not being John's and it'll go live with its real father? Who the heck knows.

March 18, 2014 10:34 am  #79

Oh. I thought you were talking on a long time perspective. 
Of course I know that she'll be probably at home if she gives birth to a infant.
I just don't want to see in a long way a ACD version with Mary at home, happily married to John who continue to catch murderers with Sherlock. It would be really a regression. She deserves a better role (and we deserve a better plot!!)

Sorry just read your post too fast ;-)

Last edited by Ozymandias (March 18, 2014 10:47 am)

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 18, 2014 8:29 pm  #80

Swanpride wrote:

I agree, Mary deserves better...though I don't see why she should tag along with John and Sherlock on their standard cases. If we see it was John's hobby, it would be totally normal for him to peruse it alone. It's different in situations in which it is clear that it will be dangerous...I have a hard time to believe that she would not want to protect John.

I'm going to agree with you here with the caveat that the baby won't be an infant by the time the new season airs, am I correct? 

On the other hand, it seems a shame to , well-- kinda waste her skills-- shouldn't she be going along as backup for John? They may need to get a sitter. :-) 

Board footera