BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2013 6:41 pm  #1

John saves Sherlock's Life?

When they're in Soo Lin Yao's flat and Sherlock is attacked from behind, getting strangled etc. He quite possibly would have been killed...

Except, this is also the point that John shouts through the letterbox "I'm Sherlock Holmes and I always work alone because no one can compete with my massive intellect".

Do you think, at this point, the assassin genuinely thought he'd got the wrong man, and that he was in the middle of killing Sherlock's assistant NOT the real Sherlock Holmes, which is why he abandoned the idea and ran away? Otherwise, why would he leave Sherlock alive and not make sure he'd finished him off?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 28, 2013 6:45 pm  #2

Re: John saves Sherlock's Life?

Intriguing idea. I think I'll have to watch that scene again. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 28, 2013 7:55 pm  #3

Is it really the exact same moment? I think I'll have to watch it again, as well...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 30, 2013 8:06 am  #4

This is quite an interesting theory. I will definitely pay more attention to this scene next time I watch the episode.
But on reconsideration, I think he probably just assaulted Sherlock to knock him out and then get away unhindered (and also to leave a warning for Sherlock Holmes/John Watson behind, regardless of who they took to be Sherlock Holmes at this point). 
Also, they seem to have actively used Sherlock and John to help them retrieve the lost treasure as general Shan said herself when she talked to John after his capture, so it wouldn't have made much sense to kill either of them before they had served their purpose. What was it that she said "If an assassin can't shoot straight, what do you think it means?"
So, I'm not so sure if John saved Sherlock's life there.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

September 30, 2013 3:50 pm  #5

Let's also keep in mind that Moriarty seems to be involved. If he has anything to do with the whole thing, he probably would have to be the one to give the order to kill Sherlock and/or Watson. As long as he doesn't want Sherlock to be killed, it won't happen.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 30, 2013 4:39 pm  #6

the_dancing_woman wrote:

This is quite an interesting theory. I will definitely pay more attention to this scene next time I watch the episode.
But on reconsideration, I think he probably just assaulted Sherlock to knock him out and then get away unhindered (and also to leave a warning for Sherlock Holmes/John Watson behind, regardless of who they took to be Sherlock Holmes at this point). 
Also, they seem to have actively used Sherlock and John to help them retrieve the lost treasure as general Shan said herself when she talked to John after his capture, so it wouldn't have made much sense to kill either of them before they had served their purpose. What was it that she said "If an assassin can't shoot straight, what do you think it means?"
So, I'm not so sure if John saved Sherlock's life there.

I agree with this.  The General clearly says they weren't actually trying to kill either of them, because if they were trying, they would be dead.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

March 9, 2014 7:37 pm  #7

as for the topic of this tag, yes john did save sherlock's life, three times. first was when sherlock was at sin's house, and the intruder was starngling him. by hearing john making fun of hserlock, her heard john call himself sherlock which made the intrudder think he was killing the wrong man, so he let sherlock live. the second time was at the museum, when the murderer was shooting at sherlock, he knew that sin was being protected, so when john ran after sherlock, the intruder went in for the kill on sin loo, so he gave up trying to kill sherlock. the third time was in the tunnle, again being strangled. but when john kicks the giant crossbow, it hits the person who is strangling sherlock, saving his life again.
john doesnt get much credit for helping sherlock, or any credit at all.

March 9, 2014 7:41 pm  #8

the_dancing_woman, if you watch carefully, when sherlock tries to call for john, directly after, you see the person strangling sherlock pull harder on the scarf, definatly a sign that he wants to kill him. after john exclaims that he is sherlock holmes, you can see the person strangling sherlock tenses slightly and lets go of the scarf.

July 24, 2014 10:23 pm  #9

I think it's all about the warning. I don't think the strangling is an attempt to kill Sherlock - obviously the guys can shoot if they want to (Soo lin's death), so why take the trouble with the strangling, when they're fine with shooting the guy in the appartment and later Soo Lin. I agree they want to keep Sherlock in the game at this point. I think John shouting just tells the attacker that there is somebody else around and that it's time to leave unseen.

"It is what it is."

July 30, 2014 12:03 am  #10

Wow, you guys raise some interesting points.  Christine, you're right about John's role, I think.  I hadn't really analyzed it from that perspective.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Board footera