BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2014 11:17 pm  #41

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

I was so sad after watching TEH tonight, so I thought coming to the forum for a while would help.....
Fine, so group crying it is.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 7, 2014 11:17 pm  #42

So how many are we? Mattlocked, Solar, QE, yours truly - anyone else? *sniffle*

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 7, 2014 11:20 pm  #43

The more, the merrier... NOT.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 8, 2014 3:43 am  #44

*joins circle of tears*

YES!  After HLV I was so irritated at those who made so much of the fact that "John wasn't in Sherlock's mind palace"!  I wante to yell "you see but you do not observe"!

*sobs in to WatsonBear*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 8, 2014 9:53 am  #45

I may have found a little thing they missed in their list. 

Remember ASiP?
Sherlock: What happened to the lipstick?
Molly: It wasn't working for me. 

A woman applying lipstick to attract the man she loves. When he does not react as expected, she wipes it off. And then we have this:

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 8, 2014 9:55 am  #46

haha, can we really compare a lipstick and a horrid moustach? What a terrible idea Watson had 

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 8, 2014 10:05 am  #47

Oh, I think we can. Of course we don't know what would have happened if Mary had told John months ago that she hates the moustache - would he have shaved it off, too? We can only speculate.
But Mary says it herself, and I think she's right: Sherlock turns up and only one day later John shaves off the damn thing because Sherlock doesn't like it. Well.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 8, 2014 12:25 pm  #48

Great catch on the lipstick Susi!  It never dawned on me that John says the exact same thing Molly did!

I read the essay last night before going to bed and they did a very good job of collecting evidance.  Also appreciate the point that rarely is anything on screen/in the script "throw away."  Film cost money and screen time is limited so everything has to count,.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 8, 2014 1:06 pm  #49

Of course it all counts, it's what it counts for, that is the question;
It can be for humour, plot development, character development, to build up tension, for back story, for explanation...any number of reasons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 8, 2014 2:42 pm  #50

besleybean wrote:

Of course it all counts, it's what it counts for, that is the question;
It can be for humour, plot development, character development, to build up tension, for back story, for explanation...any number of reasons.

Or it can count to show that deep in their hearts John and Sherlock are madly in love and made for each other!

Sorry BB.  I'm a bad girl!!!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 8, 2014 3:22 pm  #51

Nothing bad at all.
I agree with you on one of the points.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 8, 2014 6:31 pm  #52

SolarSystem wrote:

........But Mary says it herself, and I think she's right: Sherlock turns up and only one day later John shaves off the damn thing because Sherlock doesn't like it. Well.

"His Nibs."
bwahahahahaha!  I love it.

I've read a few johnlock fan fics where the author has someone refer to Sherlock as "that posh bastard." heh  I see John as someone who 100% has his eyes open about who and what Sherlock is, loves him anyway, not just in spite of it, but also BECAUSE of it. Everyone knows that love is blind. He might be a posh bastard, but he's MY posh bastard.

March 8, 2014 6:33 pm  #53

tonnaree wrote:

Great catch on the lipstick Susi!  It never dawned on me that John says the exact same thing Molly did!

Same writers. *shrug*  And they undoubtedly don't have the time, money or energy to pay attention to continuity to the same degree as us crazy fans.

March 8, 2014 7:49 pm  #54

I think that the three episodes we get every two years are very well-planned and that there are so many connections and allusions and that this is no coincidence (the universe is rarely so lazy).  
It is not that they use the same sentence twice but that they use it in a similar context that makes it interesting. There are many examples of that.
Just think of Mycroft's and Sherlock's respective "How would you know?" Both are crucial situations for the characterisation and they use the same words. 

March 8, 2014 10:10 pm  #55

I agree with you, Susi
Oh, and I love that scene where Sherlock finally gets his "revenge". How would you know? 

March 8, 2014 10:14 pm  #56

Yes, it is great scene. As are all their scenes in HLV. It is beautiful to see how they go from the angry confrontation in 221B to Mycroft's "Oh, Sherlock. What have you done?"

March 8, 2014 10:22 pm  #57

And Mrs Hudson has her part in that, too. 

April 20, 2014 7:24 pm  #58

I was not sure where to put this so I posted it here.
John likes to wear checkered shirts. So do Sherlock's father and David, Mary's ex-boyfriend. Sherlock, however, never wears them, let alone shirts as casual as this one. So what do we make of this? I think there must be an idea behind this because the style is so totally unlike Sherlock. (And in TEH we see John in turn wearing a coat and his scarf tied the way Sherlock does).

Last edited by SusiGo (April 20, 2014 7:26 pm)

April 20, 2014 8:02 pm  #59

Sherlock in a chequered shirt and John in a coat and scarf maybe means mutual (unconscious?) approach between them - expanded even to outwardness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 20, 2014 8:16 pm  #60

Let's just hope then that Sherlock doesn't decide to grow a moustache in S4... on the other hand, John then could ask him to shave it off while sitting on Sherlock's bed... and I know, I'm mixing various things now, but well... 

Board footera