BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2014 10:41 pm  #1

Did Sherlock miss him?

The name is Theodore. Hi.
First of all let me say that im not here to tell you some amazing theory on how Sherlock and Moriarty faked suicides at each other. Now that we got that out of the way i can tell you my opinion.
First of all let's go back to the roof. Sherlock and Moriarty are on top of it and they are talking about something ( for me to make this point we do not need to say here what they are talking about we all know what it was ), so let's look at this logically, they are both very smart people, neither of which would come there without a plan or a purpose. So we know that they both had something planned out, for Sherlock we found out what it was and for Moriarty we only had a glimpse of his plan in the end of "His last Vow". So knowing this we can say:
1. Moriarty faked his suicide and it is all part of his game.
2. Moriarty is dead but his plan lives on.
3. Moriarty is just dead. But wait, this doesn't just make sence like that. We said earlier that they both probably had a plan. Well knowing Moriarty he could have predicted that his death would be too simple for Sherlock and everyone else since he had a reputation of a very nasty unbeatable spider, and that that reputation would start to confuse them and that they would start making irrational thoughts, especially when someone uses his face after his "death" to scare the crap out of the British government. So basicly 3. Is Someone else is using Moriarty's face.
4. Moriarty isn't who we think he is.
5. Mycroft made all of this up so he would keep his little brother from taking drugs and going mad.
These 5 possibilities are the most popular among all the theories.
But of course im not here to tell you something that was already predicted and what was already told.
Im here to tell you the 6th.
So let's start by saying Moriarty and Sherlock have showed equal intelligence and potential and maybe Moriarty showed even more than Sherlock. But that isn't the topic here.
We have been informed that Sherlock doesn't like riddles and games. Well i can say that that isn't true based on everything that has been happening through all the episodes. Psychologically knowing Sherlock he would do anything just to have a very puzzling crime to solve, and puzzling crimes are a lot like games which Moriarty enjoys playing (which are basicly crimes that are brilliantly done). So why stick to the basic mind pattern "Sherlock VS Moriarty" if we know all of this. Sherlock isn't really known for respecting the law too much and he wouldn't even care for the police and the safety of the government if there weren't any cool puzzles around. So why not start thinking that it is Sherlock and Moriarty playing the game. What better way to play the game than to confuse everyone into thinking that it is over. We all know that Sherlock would have gone on that mission in the end of His last Vow if there wasn't for that clip "Did you miss me?".
So if they are both addicted to the same thing and + are the only two people able to entertain each other, why the hell would they want to eliminate each other?! Why not just play the game on a different level. This to me makes a lot of sense and i really can't figure out any better way to continue this series than going with Sherlock and Moriarty not wanting the game to stop. Which would also make us fans really happy since there would be Sherlock forever and ever and ever and ever. Ok maybe not but you get the point. So i say in the end here for those who didn't want to bother reading this biggish text and just skipped to the end to see the point, "Sherlock AND Moriarty not Sherlock VS Moriarty", The only one who can fool Mycroft is Sherlock Holmes, even Mycroft said it.This is why i think Sherlock won't be so suprised about Moriarty's return. And i think he missed him. So tell me what you think of this i would love to hear your opinion. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.
PS. my e mail is tek363@gmail.com if you want to message me about something that is related to this topic i can encourage you to do it.

-I owe you-

Last edited by teodortosic (March 1, 2014 11:40 am)

Jim Moriarty

February 28, 2014 10:50 pm  #2

Re: Did Sherlock miss him?

Miss me?

March 2, 2014 4:35 pm  #3

According to canon Holmes clearly missed Moriarty. But maybe not actually the person Moriarty, but the cases he provided for him. Really interesting cases. Not just domestic problems or such.
The best cases Sherlock got were those in TGG in my opinion. I missed these kind of cases, too.
The "Who is Mary-case" is not a complete substitute. The poison giant and the elephant in the room can't compete with Moriarty's puzzles either.  Although they are funny.

March 5, 2014 1:17 pm  #4

Well said, Theodore! 
Sherlock & Moriarty seem to be above the law & get away with murder (heh).  I think they do enjoy playing with each other.  I think Mycroft tries to guide Sherlock the best he can maybe.   Maybe we haven't learned all the details of Sherlock's "death" because it ties in with Moriarty's fake death.  Sorry if I keep repeating this!  It's my latest thought on the matter! 
When I saw the end of Last Vow, I too, thought Mycroft or someone else set it up to get Sherlock back & didn't believe Moriarty was still alive, but then I heard Mofftiss interviews & about the threads they weave through the stories, to pull the rug out from us in the end!  Lol!  Clever! 
And I started watching the old Holmes fims.  Moriarty seems to be a thread throughout, even though he's not always there.  Must be his links in his chain of contacts/threads in his web!
This is the best I can describe it.
I sure missed him!

March 5, 2014 1:28 pm  #5

To be honest, I do not like the idea of Moriarty and Sherlock playing an elaborate game over the whole series just to keep themselves entertained. Because - and I may be a bit old-fashioned - this would mean that Sherlock willingly sacrificed all those lives just for the sake of keeping himself not bored, away from drugs, whatever. 
Of course there is a part of him which is drawn to and fascinated the challenge Moriarty presents but if your theory were true his whole friendship with John and the others and his progression towards humanity would be worthless. 

Last edited by SusiGo (March 5, 2014 1:53 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 5, 2014 1:43 pm  #6

elaborate game
just to keep themselves entertained

March 5, 2014 5:30 pm  #7

I would say its entertaining me too

Jim Moriarty

March 5, 2014 5:33 pm  #8

OnlyinWestwood wrote:

Well said, Theodore! 
Sherlock & Moriarty seem to be above the law & get away with murder (heh).  I think they do enjoy playing with each other.  I think Mycroft tries to guide Sherlock the best he can maybe.   Maybe we haven't learned all the details of Sherlock's "death" because it ties in with Moriarty's fake death.  Sorry if I keep repeating this!  It's my latest thought on the matter! 
When I saw the end of Last Vow, I too, thought Mycroft or someone else set it up to get Sherlock back & didn't believe Moriarty was still alive, but then I heard Mofftiss interviews & about the threads they weave through the stories, to pull the rug out from us in the end!  Lol!  Clever! 
And I started watching the old Holmes fims.  Moriarty seems to be a thread throughout, even though he's not always there.  Must be his links in his chain of contacts/threads in his web!
This is the best I can describe it.
I sure missed him!

That's a very nice thought, "We do not know the details of Sherlock's death because it ties to Moriarty's." It is very likely i would say.

Jim Moriarty

March 6, 2014 2:31 pm  #9

SusiGo has already pointed out the moral problem with this; I would merely add that Moftiss are ACD fanboys who would not write something so entirely contrary to canon as this hypothesis.

It would get boring very, very quickly as well, which is another reason why Moftiss would be uninterested. 

March 6, 2014 5:31 pm  #10

So by now have we all heard the comments from the recent Q&A?
A tease that Moriarty could be alive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 6, 2014 5:37 pm  #11

No, I haven't, could you post a link?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 6, 2014 5:40 pm  #12

That would be a no...doubt I can find it! Sherlockology had something on the site about it, I think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera