BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2014 1:31 pm  #21

Re: Occupation

Harobed wrote:

Wow, Ozymandias, must be a brainiac!
I mean, law by itself is quite involved, detailed & complex & you've added political science to that?!
You write what kind of novels in your spare time?!
*(If I had your studies, I wouldn't HAVE any spare time!)...ha!

Actually I don't have time (32 hours course per week + homework). It's a combined honours so I'm gonna be graduated in law and in political science at the end of the semester. I just can't wait my graduation!!! 

So I don't hang out a lot, I just go drink a pint once in a while and read news/Sherlock forum/some fanfics... Oh my god, I just made a mistake, of course I mean short story (and not novel > in French, we say "nouvelle" for a short story). I just take my time, I don't write that much this year Hopefully, I think I'm gonna take a break next year. I apply to become a French teacher assistant in United Kingdom for 2014-2015.I would certainly have more time to write ! 

Last edited by Ozymandias (March 2, 2014 1:31 pm)

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 2, 2014 2:38 pm  #22

I am a PA to a Headteacher, school administrator, receptionist and all round go-to for all administrative functions in school.  It's busy!!!  Means I don't get quite enough time to spend on the forum unless it's holidays when I spend half my life here!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

March 2, 2014 2:43 pm  #23

I've become a delegation host for Ireland during the Eurovision Song Contest.

My first job is on the 16th where I'll collect the Head of Delegation at the airport and transport them to a hotel! 

It's unpaid work, but I'm so proud about this! I'm a HUGE fan of the Eurovision and I have always loved Ireland; so what could be better? 
I pretty much have to be their assistant and make sure they make it to their meetings, press conferences, rehearsals and shows on time! 

And I'm still freelancing as a Mystery Shopper *puts finger on lip* Just don't tell the shops in my area! 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 2, 2014 2:47 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 2, 2014 7:35 pm  #24

I own my own pet care company. However, I'm currently in the process of handing that business over to my spouse, so that I may start a career in the culinary food. I've managed to snag a job in a kitchen. Yay, for career changes! Double yay for graduating with a degree that has nothing to do with either of these career choices! Please excuse my sarcasm, it gets the better of me more times than none!

March 3, 2014 7:14 pm  #25

I am a lawyer. And today was my 1st day at work after three years of maternity leave 

March 4, 2014 1:22 am  #26

SHERlocked33 wrote:

I am a lawyer. And today was my 1st day at work after three years of maternity leave 

Congrats! :-)

March 4, 2014 8:37 am  #27

I hope your first day back went well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 27, 2014 11:02 pm  #28

I am currently a SAHM *stay at home mum* little one has recently started nursery onceshe is  there full time I will look for a job but she is only there 2 hours a day so its pointless.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

March 29, 2014 5:54 am  #29

Harobed wrote:

Dang, am I the only "blue-collar" of this bunch?
I've completed 2 years college in child-development, creative writing & the liberal arts, but walked away  from that to explore the world of auto-assembly

A little late but nope! I work in a collision center and write estimates and deal with insurance companies all day.

June 16, 2014 9:28 pm  #30

Wow , you lot make me feel simple, i'm just a carer for my mentally handicapped daughter , but i write alot of poetry & would one day like to publish my poems when ive got enough poems i like, lori

Last edited by loribear (June 16, 2014 9:30 pm)

Your thinking too loud , shut up ,  i need to go to my mind palace.

June 16, 2014 9:40 pm  #31

That is noble still!

I am an intern at the hospital where I did my training as a Healthcare Service Secretary! I started a month ago and was only supposed to be for 3 months. I have just been prolonged with 6 months! 

I don't get paid more than my benefits though. Which is a bit annoying. But I know this specific ward and this specific field can barely afford their own research. 

They work with childhood obesity, both treatment and research in causes and methods of treatment, something I don't mind doing my bit however small to help. I know the effects of it firsthand. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 16, 2014 9:43 pm  #32

I'm studying veterinary medicine and I hope to work with horses or cattle in the future.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 16, 2014 9:54 pm  #33

loribear wrote:

Wow , you lot make me feel simple, i'm just a carer for my mentally handicapped daughter

I'm sorry that people in your life have made you feel like 'just' a carer.  You have an incredibly important and difficult job that can be considered a vocation. Your daughter is very lucky to have a mother like you instead of being put in an assisted care facility.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 16, 2014 10:07 pm  #34

I've done a lot of different things in my life because I get bored so easily, but I currently have my own business, which has two main branches. The first is my blog, which was a passion for a long time. I became very well known for it, but fame proved to not be much fun and I've slacked off on that end of things.

Now, I'm more focused on the other branch, which primarily provides administrative services to law enforcement. My case load can be pretty challenging at times. In the last month, I've worked on a triple homicide, attempted homicide, six sexual assaults (including two on children by a relative), immigration fraud, an attempting kidnapping, several domestic assaults, motor vehicle theft, and, get this, a moron who stormed a crack den and beat up a junkie...

I'm sad to inform you that there are no criminal masterminds in the real world. Criminals are morons.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 17, 2014 7:25 pm  #35

I am a retired computer programmer.  I wrote database applications for Community Mental Health Services for the State of New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services.  I worked with the DSM-IV coding system and ICD9.  I think coding is a theme here.  More generally maybe it is logic.  With hospitality thrown in for good measure.

June 19, 2014 3:39 pm  #36

I had a good day at work today...

Sometimes it's easy to feel like 'just' a secretary; especially when you spend a lot of days locked away in a damp basement under the hospital doing various administrative tasks... and wonder if anyone would ever notice if you didn't show up... Me and the other girls are lovingly called slaves; and we're not paid really either.

Today us 'slaves' were graciously invited to sit in at a long meeting at the local hotel with nice food and lots of interesting talks about the research and the treatment of the obese children...

and during one of the lectures on recent research results I realized they were talking about something I worked on a lot, actually doing most of the legwork on last year when I was training there.

One of the doctors I work for ran over to me and poked my shoulder and beamed and told me "That's all because of you!" And on basis of that research and that result the ward has been issued a huge grant! The big boss even smiled at me and said nothing was possible without us.

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (June 19, 2014 3:41 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

June 22, 2014 2:32 pm  #37

Yesterday I was asked to help a friend of my mother to work in the kitchen at a fancy birthday party at a manor. 

It was really hard work as most of the dishes and glasses and what not used by 80 people had to be handwashed etc... but it was such a Upstairs Downstairs / Downton Abbey experience! The kitchen was completely old fashion, had barely been updated in houndreds of years... and the guests were high society. 

The only bad side was that one of my young co-workers practically had to hide from one of the grown sons of the house even if he had a beautiful English wife and the most adorable son who were there... 

I actually felt like I was in one of those TV series... 

Not sure I will do it again though... my back didn't handle it well and I almost fainted when I carried a tray back in from the tent in the garden... but it's an experience

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (June 22, 2014 2:34 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

June 24, 2014 5:03 pm  #38

Teacher... mainly in English with a bit of history and drama thrown in for good measure...

August 1, 2014 9:38 am  #39

Wow...you lot!
I won't list all of your names, here, but gee-whiz, I must say how so very special & unique & wonderful each of you are!
What selfless contributers to society...providing such necessary services...AND...being humble about it!
Get this...here's an odd thought...after reading your posts & learning a bit about your lives...that's made me appreciate "Sherlock" even more!
I mean, if you are fans of a thing, & because of the caliber of who you are, then, to me, that elevates the value of that thing...make sense?
Happy to be a part of this...

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

August 1, 2014 6:51 pm  #40

I'm a freelance book designer and typesetter--it's not selfless, but it is fun.

Last edited by REReader (August 1, 2014 6:52 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

Board footera