BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2014 7:27 am  #1

The humanisation of Mycroft Holmes - series 3

I must admit, I kind of prefer him as the distant but omnipresent maniac in the background that he was in Series 1 to 2. This series has seen a drastic humanisation and expansion of big brother to the extend that he has lost much of the menace we used to associate with him.

What about you guys? Do you prefer your Mycroft more maniacal or more brotherly?

February 25, 2014 7:39 am  #2

Re: The humanisation of Mycroft Holmes - series 3

I loved him in season 3!!
The relationship between he and Sherlock gave me a feelgood factor when it was sometimes missing in other areas.
And I don't think the menace was gone - look how he threatened Anderson and initially, Sherlock when CAM was first mentioned.
I'm hoping the Holmes Brothers reach a warmer understanding as the series goes on - I think it is possible for them to do this but for Mycroft to retain his aloofness with the outside world, but I love the idea that he's quietly watching out for his Brother.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 25, 2014 2:16 pm  #3

I just love Mycroft more and more!
Personally, I think Sherlock's gradual humanisation is rubbing off on his older brother, and I like it! I like watching both Holmes brother struggling with being 'nicer'!!!

February 25, 2014 6:32 pm  #4

I think the actor has played a blinder; we are getting to know Mycroft and, I think, beginning to learn that his attempts to harden his brother's heart stem from his own inability to harden his own heart when it comes to Sherlock.

Of course, Moftiss balanced that with his chilling reference to 'the other one' in the last scene with Lady Smallwood, M, and assorted flunkies 

February 25, 2014 7:50 pm  #5

I prefer him in S3 - and will probably treasure the image of him patting his belly forever .

I agree with the people saying that his menace is not gone, just balanced to some degree by his brotherly behaviour. For me he feels more realistic now with a few human traits, in S1&2 he was too omnipresent, omniscient and aloof to really buy him as a character. 

Willow wrote:

Of course, Moftiss balanced that with his chilling reference to 'the other one' in the last scene with Lady Smallwood, M, and assorted flunkies

This line still gives me the creeps! He sounded so ruthless, I´m afraid to even think about what might be behind this..

February 26, 2014 11:58 pm  #6

Zatoichi wrote:

I prefer him in S3 - and will probably treasure the image of him patting his belly forever .

I agree with the people saying that his menace is not gone, just balanced to some degree by his brotherly behaviour. For me he feels more realistic now with a few human traits, in S1&2 he was too omnipresent, omniscient and aloof to really buy him as a character. 

Willow wrote:

This line still gives me the creeps! He sounded so ruthless, I´m afraid to even think about what might be behind this..

Well, one things for certain; Mycroft remains the Ice Man to just about everyone but a chosen few. Sherlock is his Achille's' Heel; the one that CAM was going for in much the same way as the Trojans went literally for Achilles' heel.

Of course, now we are in ancient drama we remember that Iphigenia was sacrificed to provide a fair wind for the Greek fleet; somehow this does not comfort me much. 

February 27, 2014 7:53 am  #7

I love Mycroft's development over the episodes. All his scenes with Sherlock in series 3 are amazing and show the complexity of their relationship in a brilliant way. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 3, 2014 5:17 pm  #8

I think that sherlock melts mycroft's uptight exterior,  this is interesting because it seems that only sherlock can do this. Also mycroft can manipulate sherlock and bring him around when he falls off track...

Don't talk out loud Anderson, you lower the IQ of the whole street,

March 3, 2014 5:50 pm  #9

SusiGo wrote:

I love Mycroft's development over the episodes. All his scenes with Sherlock in series 3 are amazing and show the complexity of their relationship in a brilliant way. 

He really had some fine moments in this series.  I has always held out that underneth it all their bond as brothers is stronger than their other issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 3, 2014 6:13 pm  #10

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

He really had some fine moments in this series.  I has always held out that underneth it all their bond as brothers is stronger than their other issues.

Yes; there have been earlier glimpses. That image of him consulting with John about whether they should tell him of Irene's apparent death in Karachi had a ring of truth to it, but this season has been exceptional

March 3, 2014 11:10 pm  #11

i adore Mycroft, his wit, his quick mind, the way he turns his head then arches his eyebrow. and his suits! I was so happy his role was expanded for this series. I hope we will see even more of him in the future. Long live the Ice Man!

Board footera