BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2014 12:35 pm  #1

How did Mary get into Magnussen's office?

At one point Sherlock says "you left the same way you came..." but it's not actually gone into in any further detail. Did she do a Blind Banker and scale the windows? All 40 odd flights? Eh...seems unlikely...

Did she have a card too and do the trick with the phone? And if so, why would Janine let her up?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 27, 2014 12:38 pm  #2

Re: How did Mary get into Magnussen's office?

That has been puzzling me as well!

I still have my theory that it was staged by Magnussen the whole time... so Mary would have been let in by him. But really I don't know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 2, 2014 3:54 pm  #3

I haven't found any climbing accessories. Have you? A spring catch or something like that.
Her black outfit looks a bit like a fighting gear, a combat-vest used by the US marine corps. You can buy something like that online. It's not something you would actually wear for climbing. Too heavy and not practical. But we are meant to believe that Mary fired a gun in a dark room and shot a coin. So who knows?
Have a look:http://de.aliexpress.com/item/USMC-Tactical-Hunting-Combat-Vest-Black-VT-05-free-shipping/919016355.html

March 2, 2014 5:07 pm  #4

I agree that no climbing was involved: Moffat was messing us about; he did an oh so casual reference to thinking perhaps of shooting a scene with CAM noticing an open window, but decided against it because it was boring.     

The reason we know Moffat was messing us about is that there were no windows which could be opened; all of the footage shows floor to ceiling glass and no balconies.

A friend who doesn't watch the show suggested Mary could have got in via the elevator shaft but sadly that too is  made of glass, and thus provides no means of unobserved entry.

So, at present I lean to the Phantom Lady's suggestion; it has the added virtue of being closer to canon if Mary was apparently there to sell him information on somebody else.

Of course, it may be that Mary was CAM's agent and/or being blackmailed by him all along; setting up John for the kidnapping so that CAM could establish whether Sherlock would go into the fire for John. He did, bless his little cotton socks

March 2, 2014 5:28 pm  #5

I also agree on the assumption that Mary was let in by CAM himself. The black outfit  just served the purpose to surprise Sherlock (and us!) when Mary turned around and proved herself not being Lady Smallwood - contrary to canon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 2, 2014 5:36 pm  #6

Why wear this outfit? It screams: I am the terrorist/assassin/USMC doing a burglary.
Why meeting and talking in the bedroom?
If she was invited there would be no need for a disguise. It's not actually a disguise then, is it.
Maybe she came with another helicopter from above? That would also hint towards a somewhat official/inofficial mission.
Maybe we are not meant to wonder about this one. I always thought that the "disguise" i.e. the masks Dr. Watson made by himself in canon before they started the burglary at Milverton's house were a bit odd, too.

March 2, 2014 5:59 pm  #7

Be wrote:

Why wear this outfit? It screams: I am the terrorist/assassin/USMC doing a burglary.
Why meeting and talking in the bedroom?
If she was invited there would be no need for a disguise. It's not actually a disguise then, is it.
Maybe she came with another helicopter from above? That would also hint towards a somewhat official/inofficial mission.
Maybe we are not meant to wonder about this one. I always thought that the "disguise" i.e. the masks Dr. Watson made by himself in canon before they started the burglary at Milverton's house were a bit odd, too.

It may be that the 'disguise' was there to prevent Janine and security staff recognising her, rather than CAM, but I agree that it's very close to a caricature; she could get away with the all black, on the grounds that it's slimming, and she's on the way to the gymn, but the flack jacket is over the top.

I suppose if she came in by helicopter she would need extra layers of clothing; they are notoriously drafty, as well as notoriously noisy, but I think the most probable explanation is that the costume designer got a little too carried away

March 2, 2014 6:01 pm  #8

i think the writers and producers wanted to spare the time and expense of filming a "Mission Impossible" type of scene where Mary is shown scaling the building and cutting the glass to gain entry or leave. Therefore they left it up to our imaginations. Dressed as she was it was not an outfit to be used to gain entrance unnoticed via the lobby or elevator. It was CAM's building so he could have easily ordered the missing or broken glass replaced without too many questions asked by his staff if he wanted to keep the events which transpired in his office to be kept quiet..
I am more interested in Mycroft's or Lestrade's reactions to Sherlock being shot. Who informed them? And when? Surely neither would have just let it be without some sort of investigation or basic questions being answered.

March 2, 2014 6:05 pm  #9

Even if she had a coat to wear additionally when she used the lift and was let in by CAM or Janine or the security man she needed to get downstairs. Is looks as if there were just stairs connecting the office and the flat. And in the office was John who would have seen her. And in the very moment when Sherlock got shot the alarm went off.We hear the alarm. Possibly all doors were locked automatically which is ususally the case when you have a security system.

March 2, 2014 6:17 pm  #10

Fire safety regulations generally do not allow doors to be locked from the inside even during a security alert, The horrific fire at the triangle shirtwaist factory in New York City in 1911 made it illegal to lock doors from the inside.

March 2, 2014 6:25 pm  #11

Regina Alexandra wrote:

Fire safety regulations generally do not allow doors to be locked from the inside even during a security alert, The horrific fire at the triangle shirtwaist factory in New York City in 1911 made it illegal to lock doors from the inside.

But Sherlock said that CAM used security methods that are illegal in the U.K:

March 2, 2014 8:34 pm  #12

Regina Alexandra wrote:

i think the writers and producers wanted to spare the time and expense of filming a "Mission Impossible" type of scene where Mary is shown scaling the building and cutting the glass to gain entry or leave. Therefore they left it up to our imaginations. Dressed as she was it was not an outfit to be used to gain entrance unnoticed via the lobby or elevator. It was CAM's building so he could have easily ordered the missing or broken glass replaced without too many questions asked by his staff if he wanted to keep the events which transpired in his office to be kept quiet..
I am more interested in Mycroft's or Lestrade's reactions to Sherlock being shot. Who informed them? And when? Surely neither would have just let it be without some sort of investigation or basic questions being answered.

I hesitate to intrude a note of reality but I live in this area of London; I can assure you that someone doing a 'Mission Impossible' type of scene would be spotted very quickly indeed. Strangely enough there are people who do that sort of thing for fun, as a kind of extreme sport, and the last thing anyone wants is someone falling off a building and wiping out some innocent pedestrian below. So there are a lot of cameras everywhere, and a very fast response from the police and the fire brigade, because scraping bits of people off the pavement is not fun, and it interferes with making money which is what we're here for. The owners of said buildings don't have a let out clause which says they can agree to people climbing them because of the risk to the general public; Moffat was messing around, as Moffat is wont to do, and he probably had a good laugh over the fact that he refers to windows when the footage clearly shows that there are none.

So, CAM let her in, or she came in by helicopter; we do have a fair number of buildings with helipads so that's plausible. Someone trying to climb a skyscraper here would be stopped long before they got anywhere near the top, so I rule that one out.

We first see Lestrade when he's visiting Sherlock with John; Sherlock had disappeared by then, so the next scene is John and Lestrade at Baker St. We don't know when Mycroft was told...

March 2, 2014 9:19 pm  #13

Janine was up and conscious when she let Sherlock in then down and out when the elevator door opens.  This suggests that Mary got in around the same time as Sherlock & John. She just moved quicker coz of her assassin skills

How? = I have no idea. I'm glad the writers have left it open coz the reality is probably a lot more mundane than our theories are. Golden rule of story: if you think it's gonna disappoint, skip it

Last edited by saturnR (March 2, 2014 9:20 pm)

March 2, 2014 10:03 pm  #14

saturnR wrote:

Janine was up and conscious when she let Sherlock in then down and out when the elevator door opens.  This suggests that Mary got in around the same time as Sherlock & John. She just moved quicker coz of her assassin skills

How? = I have no idea. I'm glad the writers have left it open coz the reality is probably a lot more mundane than our theories are. Golden rule of story: if you think it's gonna disappoint, skip it

Yes both Sherlock and Mary arriving at almost exactly the same time..
Sherlocks info being wrong...no dinner engagement
Mary knowing where/when/how.....
And Janine being stupid enough to fall fo a fake proposal from SH....

Screams Janine set up to me....

March 3, 2014 12:53 am  #15

lil wrote:

saturnR wrote:

Yes both Sherlock and Mary arriving at almost exactly the same time..
Sherlocks info being wrong...no dinner engagement
Mary knowing where/when/how.....
And Janine being stupid enough to fall fo a fake proposal from SH....

Screams Janine set up to me....

Yes: there too many holes in her story to be satisfied by a hand wave; instead we have someone who works as CAM's PA, closely associated with Mary, and who is undoubtedly well aware of the source of the wedding email from CAM,  yet does not appear to be be worried about it.

That's weird...

Board footera