BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2014 7:56 pm  #301

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

Found something on tumblr and didn't know where to put this, so I guess it can as well go in this thread. It's a short part of the scene back in 221B with Mary, John and Sherlock - without the background music. I think it's even more intense without the music...

http://cumberlordofcuteness.tumblr.com/post/77586776625/without-background-music-please-dont-take-it

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 1, 2014 7:56 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 1, 2014 7:56 pm  #302

@Fj How could I even forget that?
Presumably Mary said she loved John when she was marrying him.

Last edited by besleybean (March 1, 2014 7:57 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 1, 2014 7:57 pm  #303

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, Mattlocked. Which is consistent with my statement at the beginning of this mega thread - she does never say that she loves anyone whereas even such improbable characters like Sherlock do so.
And she does not show it either, at least not where it really matters. 

I have a BIG problem with the idea that if it's TRUE LOVE, then you can hurt anyone, lie about your past, do whatever you feel is necessary to remove any obstacle to that "true love."  I abhorr that rationale, particularily in women, because we are the once most likely to fall for it, and in the end it creates obssessed, narcissitic, people who time after time , destroy their relationships. It's a myth , and a toxic one. 

True love , I think is about having the beloved's best interests at heart, putting their needs before your own. Mary failed on that level, when she shot Sherlock, she proved that she DIDN"T love John enough to put his needs first. 

It's like telling someone whose big core value is intergrity and truth that you lied to them, so they would "love you." 

Exactly so. Kudos.

March 1, 2014 7:58 pm  #304

@besleybean, presumably. But they didn't show us. Wonder why.

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 1, 2014 7:58 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 1, 2014 8:00 pm  #305

Cos the episodes are only 90 minutes long and they knew, more importantly: that if I had to sit through a bloody wedding(particularly a religious one), I may just refuse to watch Sherlock ever again!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 1, 2014 8:07 pm  #306

SolarSystem

Thank you. It's even more horrendous without the music; an immensely stark confrontation. And yes, it really does highlight what troubles me most about Mary.

We talk about Sherlock forgiving Mary; I think we should not overlook the question of whether Mary has forgiven Sherlock...

March 1, 2014 8:16 pm  #307

Huh?
Sherlock has tried to make her safe.

March 1, 2014 8:17 pm  #308

besleybean wrote:

Cos the episodes are only 90 minutes long and they knew, more importantly: that if I had to sit through a bloody wedding(particularly a religious one), I may just refuse to watch Sherlock ever again!

Who said they'd have needed to show us a complete wedding ceremony?

March 1, 2014 8:24 pm  #309

Fillyjonk wrote:

JOHN! He says he loves JOHN. Most in all the world.

Not that I have that speech memorized.

Fillyjonk

(Clears throat) Me, either. ;-)

March 1, 2014 8:29 pm  #310

@bb: Today you sit between the woman you have made your wife and the man you have saved – in short, the two people who love you most in all this world.

And here we are again - talking about the things that might be there versus what is there. Sherlock says that he and Mary love John. John says he loves Mary and Sherlock. Mary does neither. I think 270 minutes would have been long enough to write her that line if they had wanted to. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 1, 2014 8:30 pm  #311

Willow wrote:

SolarSystem

Thank you. It's even more horrendous without the music; an immensely stark confrontation. And yes, it really does highlight what troubles me most about Mary.

We talk about Sherlock forgiving Mary; I think we should not overlook the question of whether Mary has forgiven Sherlock...

Actually, that's something to consider-- if I were writing a fic (bashful grin) I might consider following that question to its logical conclusion. My feeling is that there's an uneasy truce between John, Sherlock and Mary-- for reasons we don't yet understand, and I don't think all of it is about the baby. 

There are dangerous people after Mary, so now she and the baby and John are at risk. Maybe it's about "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." 

March 1, 2014 8:32 pm  #312

SusiGo wrote:

@bb: Today you sit between the woman you have made your wife and the man you have saved – in short, the two people who love you most in all this world.

And here we are again - talking about the things that might be there versus what is there. Sherlock says that he and Mary love John. John says he loves Mary and Sherlock. Mary does neither. I think 270 minutes would have been long enough to write her that line if they had wanted to. 

Completely agree. What they want us to see, they let us see.

March 1, 2014 8:40 pm  #313

Willow wrote:

Oh, good point!  Sherlock revealed Mary to John, after she made it clear she did not want Sherlock to do so.  (And she's carrying guns around with her to meetings with Sherlock, so she's pretty ruthless!)

So - has she really forgiven him, or forgotten that Sherlock will do what he needs to do to protect John, regardless of how it affects Mary?  I wouldn't want her to be on my enemies list.

Fillyjonk

Check my Tumblr for a musical tribute to Sherlock's devotion during series 3.
http://imtooticky.tumblr.com

March 1, 2014 8:41 pm  #314

SolarSystem wrote:

Found something on tumblr and didn't know where to put this, so I guess it can as well go in this thread. It's a short part of the scene back in 221B with Mary, John and Sherlock - without the background music. I think it's even more intense without the music...

http://cumberlordofcuteness.tumblr.com/post/77586776625/without-background-music-please-dont-take-it

That's great. I could have done without the music in that scene anyway.
I also agree with what Fillyjonk wrote. I hope we'll get a better explanation in S4, or at least a hint at some kind of justification that would make both Mary's and Sherlock's behaviour more understandable. I don't think it was just sloppy writing though. Not at such a crucial point, and not after all the surprises and the intentional misleading.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

March 1, 2014 9:01 pm  #315

besleybean wrote:

Huh?

Sherlock betrayed her to John, damaged her ego and placed her in the position where she had to be the supplicant.

Remember, this is a woman who sees nothing wrong with killing people if she thinks they should die; she has a massive ego, and she has lived her life by the credo that power comes from the barrel of a gun. Her gun. And now she has to ask nicely whether Sherlock and John will take her case when up until now she has been the one who called the shots; I would be extremely surprised if she would ever forgive that.

As Oscar Wilde put it: 'Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them more.'

March 1, 2014 9:08 pm  #316

And he knew best..ah, Oscar my love.

March 1, 2014 9:10 pm  #317

Fillyjonk wrote:

Willow wrote:

Oh, good point!  Sherlock revealed Mary to John, after she made it clear she did not want Sherlock to do so.  (And she's carrying guns around with her to meetings with Sherlock, so she's pretty ruthless!)

So - has she really forgiven him, or forgotten that Sherlock will do what he needs to do to protect John, regardless of how it affects Mary?  I wouldn't want her to be on my enemies list.

Fillyjonk

Nor mine; it is at times like this when I recall that Mycroft is also a player in this game, and he has no reason to see her through rose-tinted spectacles. Her pregnancy is her protection for the time being, but as I have noted elsewhere, no pregnancy lasts forever...

March 1, 2014 9:10 pm  #318

Fillyjonk wrote:

I wouldn't want her to be on my enemies list.

No, but she could make a very useful addition to the "friends" list. As long as you can be sure she's not lying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

March 1, 2014 9:31 pm  #319

And don´t get in her way..

March 1, 2014 9:59 pm  #320

Willow wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Huh?

Sherlock betrayed her to John, damaged her ego and placed her in the position where she had to be the supplicant.

Remember, this is a woman who sees nothing wrong with killing people if she thinks they should die; she has a massive ego, and she has lived her life by the credo that power comes from the barrel of a gun. Her gun. And now she has to ask nicely whether Sherlock and John will take her case when up until now she has been the one who called the shots; I would be extremely surprised if she would ever forgive that.

As Oscar Wilde put it: 'Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them more.'

Sherlock didn′t betray her. It was not betrayal - he never promised to keep her true identity from John. It was Sherlock′s duty to notify his friend that a cute fluffy bunny he lives with is actually a deadly cobra.

Mary is sinister, cold and she has an admirable self-control in dangerous situations. I don′t see her as especially bloodthirsty, she is very rational and calculating in her actions. She doesn′t shoot people for fun, she doesn′t use excessive violence, even if she can be absolutely merciless and cruel when pursuing her goals. She shot Sherlock and later threatened him with a gun in an effort to stop him from revealing her true identity to John. But she has no motive to continue that behavior now, when her worst fears were already realized and she was ousted to her husband.

Sherlock nicely neutralized her when he gave her real identity to John. What gain can she obtain from any personal vendetta now? Any harm occurs to Sherlock after that Leinster Gardens fiasco and John will automatically ascribe it to her. She must maintain a facade of a nice quiet girl now if she wants to preserve her marriage (and it is apparent from her behavior she really wants to preserve it, no matter what her actual motives can be). And that first Sherlock shooting certainly roused Mycroft′s interest. He won′t stand aside if Mary tries some funny business once again.

Then Sherlock who is in one move protecting John, Mycroft and Mary suddenly shoots CAM and thus prevents him from sending information about Mary′s cover to her enemies. And Mary′s worst fears dissipate shortly before that – John has forgiven her.

Mary has probably a huge ego but as a cold-blooded and rational person she has to notice Sherlock′s action were quite beneficial pertaining to her. She may not like him but it would be superfluous and absolutely unnecessary to bear any further grudge towards him.

Last edited by nakahara (March 1, 2014 10:01 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera