BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2012 11:31 pm  #1

Why do people find this episode so emotional/hard to watch?

Did anyone go into this episode NOT knowing that he wasn't going to die?

I mean...I didn't get upset when Sherlock jumped off the building because I knew that it was all a fake...I knew before I'd started watching the episode that he was going to fake his own death, purely because I knew the storyline from the original books.

It didn't make me upset to watch it, I was just totally glued to the screen throughout cause it was really nailbiting stuff, especially when Moriarty pretends to be Richard Brook, that part was amazing... and at the end when he jumped I just thought "how the hell did he do that?"

For me I guess the emotional part was that I really felt sorry for John...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 19, 2012 5:23 am  #2

Re: Why do people find this episode so emotional/hard to watch?

I didn't know that he wasn't going to die.  I hadn't read much about the series before I started watching it and I was not at all familiar with the canon.  I suspected that, being television, the main character was not going to be killed off but, no, I didn't know for sure until I saw Sherlock at the very end.  And then I was like: Wow, oh my god, wow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 19, 2012 6:43 am  #3

I knew he was going to 'die'  in this episode--Steven Moffat had hinted upon it before the series 2  was written.  But the part where S and J  found Richard Brook/Moriarty  was unexpected--  that NRVER happened in the canon,  OR  in  other televised versions.   Brilliant scene too,  with Mycroft and John.  'Have you seen your brother's address book lately?  Two names--  yours and mine.  And he certainly didn't get this info from ME.'  Then Moriarty dying on the roof....OMG 

What made this hard for me?  I  didn't want to see Sherlock's bloody corpse.  I  didn't wanna see him in shock,  when Moriarty  told him  'There is no key,  Doofus!"  I  didn't want to see John and Mrs. Hudson  so heartbroken.
I didn't want to see Sherlock calling John via cell phone.   Need I say more?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 19, 2012 6:50 am  #4

I got curious & frustrated, that was about the closest I could imagine to being upset.

Does that count?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 19, 2012 6:01 pm  #5

wait till the end of the third series kazza,  then you'll be even MORE frustrated.   yep  I  think everything we've all said,  counts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 19, 2012 6:31 pm  #6

I knew from the canon that Sherlock wouldn't really die, but it was still horrible to think of his name being dragged down and that Moriarty could think he had won. And I couldn't stand that his friends would be suffering. And Mrs. Hudson, and, especially, John at the gravesite were heartbreaking.

But I guess it's not exactly hard to watch, judging by the fact that I keep doing it.

Last edited by veecee (June 21, 2012 8:07 pm)

June 21, 2012 10:14 am  #7

[img]http://data.whicdn.com/images/22629868/fc,550x550,grass_green_large.jpg[/img]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 21, 2012 11:11 am  #8

Yeah I knew he wasn't going to die but it was still quite a compelling episode and the performances were just gut wrenching. You could feel John's pain through Martin's flawless performance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 21, 2012 8:08 pm  #9

The writing was excellent, and Martin's delivery was perfect.

June 22, 2012 7:30 am  #10

John at the cemetery destroys me.  Just rips me to shreds.

And if I hadn't known there would be a third season, I think I'd have been sobbing at the roof scene when he's talking to John, screaming when Sherlock jumped, and collapsed in a wailing heap when I saw Sherlock's body on the ground.

June 22, 2012 11:28 am  #11

For me, this episode was hard to watch not because he "died" but because it appeared that he was on the defensive and was outfoxed the whole show by Moriarty. Also as a faithful loyal follower, it was infuriating for me to watch those who should know better turn on him and denounce him. Having him stand in the cemetery in the end, triumphant made it all better.

Last edited by Sentimental Pulse (June 22, 2012 11:28 am)

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 22, 2012 12:24 pm  #12

The upsetting part for me was definitely Martin's incredible acting. He had me crying in the first two minutes of the show in the scene with the shrink, and again in the graveyard. His performance feels like real grief, and even knowing that Sherlock's not really dead doesn't diminish the pain we know his character is feeling. It's powerful stuff.

Wasted on Sherlock, of course, the icy git.

June 22, 2012 1:04 pm  #13

imane nikko wrote:

His performance feels like real grief

I couldn't agree more imane nikko. If you have struggled to get your words out because of grief you will know how real this is. Brilliant Martin Freeman.

imane nikko wrote:

Wasted on Sherlock, of course, the icy git

Couln't have said it any better 

June 24, 2012 2:46 am  #14

imane nikko wrote:

Wasted on Sherlock, of course, the icy git.

Oh, no. He's not icy. He's just written that way. But seriously, how non-icy can you get, to throw yourself off a rooftop to save the lives of your friends? I think the Bible has a line about "greater love has no one, that he lay down his life for his friends."  Not icy. Not IMO. Just buttoned up tight.

June 24, 2012 3:02 am  #15

I can't agree with you more, ancientsgate!

Remember The Three Garridebs: "It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation."

My favorite line from canon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 24, 2012 3:11 am  #16

Fetchinketch wrote:

I can't agree with you more, ancientsgate!

Remember The Three Garridebs: "It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation."

My favorite line from canon.

Such beautiful writing! I've never read the original stories. I think I need to.

June 24, 2012 3:45 am  #17

I'm already torn up by John's two grief scenes, and now you give me this? Seriously, though, thanks. I'm getting through the canon, but had to take a break to read the book I'm supposed to be reading for my book club next week. Anyway, haven't gotten to that quote yet, but it might explain a lot of TRF,

June 24, 2012 4:04 am  #18

You're welcome veecee!

The story is one of the later ones, but well worth going ahead and reading.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 9, 2012 9:44 am  #19

Having rewatched Reichenbach several times now (you really don't want to know how many times exactly! ) the hardest thing to bear is that I feel so sorry for John.

In addition to his grief about the loss of his best friend there has to be some sort of feeling of guilt.
Remember that his last words to Sherlock in the lab before leaving for Mrs. Hudson were:
"Friends protect people."
Due to the imminent events the worst thing he could possibly have said.
He must ask himself after the fall: "If I had been there – could I possibly have saved Sherlock like I did the other day?"

In his context I understand his "I'm angry." at the cemetery.
Yes, it's not in the sense Mrs Hudson explained HER being angry with Sherlock (though her complaints about Sherlock's bad manners like the marks-on-the-table thing certainly are her way to come to terms with her grief, I think!). John's angry because Sherlock left him no chance to save him.
Grief plus feelings of guilt: The worst combination. Poor John. I so feel for him.
(Even worse: All that will turn out in the end as having been totally unnecessary…)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 9, 2012 9:49 am  #20

Oh, yes, Tobe, Fetchinketch and Ancientsgate, I'm absolutely with you in this.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera