BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 5:23 pm  #1

Sherlock's Name is Cleared...

...was that something he engineered, too? Or was it mostly the police who had formerly been against him?

I have said before I'm surprised John didn't suspect he wasn't dead; people have explained that.

Wouldn't you have thought that John would dedicate himself to helping clear Sherlock's name "after the fall?" Did he in fact have any role in it?

January 20, 2014 5:38 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock's Name is Cleared...

I'd love to think John had a role. But there's absolutley no reason the police couldn't have done it themselves; Moriarty's 'plan' to frame Sherlock wasn't exactly air-tight.

January 20, 2014 5:56 pm  #3

I'm sure that Lestrade was instrumental in exposing the ruse that Moriarty played on the world. Getting the jurors in Moriarty's trial to admit they'd been blackmailed would be much easier after the world learned that Moriarty was dead.  Ditto for the accomplices Moriarty said had helped him conduct the operations at the bank, the prison, and the Tower of London.

Remember, Sherlock would have told Mycroft everything he'd learned from Moriarty on the roof after the suicide hoax was finished.

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

January 20, 2014 6:18 pm  #4

I suspect Mycroft would have released certain information to clear Sherlock when appropriate. After all the whole thing was an MI6 sting.
And you can bet every other newspaper would have been trying to discredit Kitty Rileys story.

January 20, 2014 6:37 pm  #5

I admit I really wanted see Kitty get some sort of big smack down.  But ya know, she's not that important to the actualy show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 20, 2014 6:44 pm  #6

tonnaree wrote:

I admit I really wanted see Kitty get some sort of big smack down.  But ya know, she's not that important to the actualy show.

She did issue an apology. It was shown during a 'news item' on the BBC Sherlock website. Not sure whether that was available outside of the UK.

Opps. Sorry. It was on John Watson's blog.

Last edited by dartmoordoggers (January 20, 2014 6:45 pm)

January 20, 2014 7:01 pm  #7

I think Mycroft set the wheels in motion to clear his brother's name, when Sherlock let him know that he was finished dismantling Moriarty's criminal network.

January 23, 2014 12:20 am  #8

Well, it makes sense for Mycroft to do something about it. 

But I am surprise John didn't devote himself to the clearing of Sherlock's name when he thought Sherlock was dead...perhaps for his own "therapy" as much as for Sherlock's sake. Something to live for connected with Sherlock, one last thing he could for Sherlock, a way to somehow feel "connected" to Sherlock.

In the other adaptations there is no damage done to Holmes' reputation before his disappearance. In the Granada series starring Brett, Watson works as a police surgeon during the Hiatus. It's as if he wants to keep his life as much like life with Holmes as possible.

February 18, 2014 2:05 am  #9

He seems to be devoted to clearing Sherlock's name on his blog. I imagine he was pretty devoted, but a lot of that stuff took place before the episode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

February 27, 2014 7:44 pm  #10

I just read something somewhere- perhaps the how  he did it theory thread- had sherlock recorded what a moriarty said on the rooftop on his phone and that's why he leaves it behind- to be found and clear his name.

Is this just head canon or has it been confirmed?

Would make some sense for that to happen, but not sure if it did. I wondered myself the fourth or so time watching just how his name was cleared. It would be nice to know what brought Anderson round to realizing he was wrong. It clearly shook him to the core.

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

Board footera