BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2014 8:20 am  #161

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

Oh yes, these are good deductions. Also didn't realise this moment at the airfield. I can agree on all points. And once again it shows how brilliant the facial expressions of the actors characterise the scene.

Another thought: Knowing that Mary was a professional assassin makes it even more dangerous for John NOT to read the information on this stick. Also if John really is in love ... after all what happend I can't imagine him being that blue-eyed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 26, 2014 8:41 am  #162

But you know that Mofftiss don't make every hint really obvious. They don't always catch your eye immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 26, 2014 9:21 am  #163

SusiGo wrote:

Thank you for posting this, Solar, just brilliant. And I am glad someone else shares my ideas. Did not observe the moment at the airfield, though, but it is definitely there. 

Hm. I have to watch the original scene again. In the blog it's slow motion, but in the show? If so I agree with you, but if not it can also be a normal good-bye. You smile at someone, then turn around and stop smiling. That's what people DO! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 26, 2014 9:49 am  #164

Have a look at Mary after the kiss. She steps back and it looks a little bit like a bow, doesn't it? Is this a kind of thank you?
http://deducingbbcsherlock.tumblr.com/post/77865018181/their-masks-just-drop-the-instant-mary-turns

February 26, 2014 10:11 am  #165

I watched it again and you may be right. It is hard to tell. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2014 10:14 am  #166

I'm happy to see an end to Mary in season 4... but I don't think this particular "drop mask" moment is anything but dropping-a-fake-smile-in-the-face-of-impending-heartbbreak.  Neither Sherlock nor Mary is happy in that moment, but they're doing the socially-correct smile.  One does that when saying goodbye to loved ones, even if one is about to cry.  Sherlock is obviously heartbroken about having to say a final goodbye to John, and Mary (regardless of our need to be rid of her) knows that this goodbye will break John's heart.  Both their smiles are false, and both are dreading the pain of the next few minutes and, likely, months.  So, false smile masks to cover the pain of the moment, dropped quickly in preparation for the next, harder moment.  It doesn't seem to me that we need any further explanation for those fleeting facial expressions.

Check my Tumblr for a musical tribute to Sherlock's devotion during series 3.
http://imtooticky.tumblr.com

February 26, 2014 10:16 am  #167

Well said. I know when to rest my case (with regard to this scene, not my idea about Mary as such ).

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2014 10:25 am  #168

Indeed; it's a run up moment, setting the scene for the dialogue between Mycroft, Sherlock and John. We have Mycroft looking a little surprised by Sherlock, and then moving away; it's all about distancing, in more ways than one.

February 26, 2014 11:39 am  #169

Incidentally, vis a vis why Mary drove to Baker St rather than heading to St James the Less, I note that the first result on Google for St James the Less is the church, with a handy map showing how to get there.

I appreciate that Mary may lack Sherlock's knowledge of London, but London changes constantly, and Sherlock has been away for two years; he himself acknowledges this fact. They have a nasty habit of digging vast holes, building vast buildings, and completely changing the traffic routes; I speak from experience. They are digging and building the CrossRail project in the City of London, which makes giving a cab driver directions on how to get to the nearest spot to my home in the Barbican a constant challenge. This is why cabbies have sat nav as well as The Knowledge; they use the web.

This option was available to Mary but she chose to drive to Baker St instead.

February 26, 2014 11:43 am  #170

Interesting. 

February 26, 2014 11:44 am  #171

@Willow So she's trying to ingratiate herself wih Sherlock?
What are you saying?

Last edited by besleybean (February 26, 2014 11:45 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 26, 2014 12:38 pm  #172

besleybean wrote:

@Willow So she's trying to ingratiate herself wih Sherlock?
What are you saying?

I'm endeavouring to follow SusiGo's example and point to facts; it seems to me that we have a situation where Mary has a simple choice between involving Sherlock, and risking severe injury and possible death for John because of the inevitable delay, or rescuing John herself by Googling the name and going straight there.

The first option would undermine the belief that she's in love with John; the second would underline it.

February 26, 2014 12:41 pm  #173

I see what you mean. But at this point she is still the nice clever nurse John is in love with. Going there alone and pulling him out of the fire without getting help might seem a bit suspicious to Sherlock as well as to John. 

February 26, 2014 1:04 pm  #174

SusiGo wrote:

I see what you mean. But at this point she is still the nice clever nurse John is in love with. Going there alone and pulling him out of the fire without getting help might seem a bit suspicious to Sherlock as well as to John. 

Indeed so. At that point she is making a choice between preserving her own cover or risking John's life, and it appears that she values her own safety above John's, and/or she is acting as an agent for CAM who wishes to know whether Sherlock would really go into the fire for John.

February 26, 2014 6:55 pm  #175

Swanpride wrote:

But isn't it logical to check first at Baker street if John arrived there? After all in the SMS which might be a skip code (it could be spam after all) is nothing written about "come in two minutes" (the message which gives them a time frame arrives after she already spoke to Sherlock).

Indeed, it would be logical, and the logical way to do it would be to text, email or ring Sherlock or Mrs Hudson to ask that question.

People do not drive into central London to ask if someone is there; it takes far too long. It's a very big place, with huge traffic problems, which is why people text, email or ring beforehand to ask if someone is there, or has been there. Mary tells Sherlock that the text she has received shows John is in danger; if she has worked it out sufficiently to tell Sherlock then she has already worked it out for herself.

And whilst mentioning a skip code might make Sherlock wonder, leaving John to be burned alive rather than rescuing him herself clearly involves much greater danger for John. This is not something one can argue is for John's good; clearly John needs to be out from that bonfire now rather than later, when he may be dead or severely burned like Sholto. Mary had a choice between preserving her own cover or rescuing John; the fact that she chose the former is something we need to consider in thinking about her.

February 26, 2014 7:08 pm  #176

Hang on...have I missed something?
Wasn't it only after they found out what was actually happening to John.
Didn't she initually just know he'd been got?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 26, 2014 8:04 pm  #177

besleybean wrote:

Hang on...have I missed something?
Wasn't it only after they found out what was actually happening to John.
Didn't she initually just know he'd been got?

Well, I don't know whether you've missed something; I'm relying on watching the episode and reading Ariane DeVere's amazing transcript at her LiveJournal.

Both of those show Mary receiving the skip code text, and then later (an unspecified amount of time later) turning up at Baker St to ask Sherlock's help because she had received the skip code text. There would be no point in her asking Sherlock's help if she didn't think there was a problem; she is supposed to be a highly trained intelligence agent who presumably knows that if she wants to know whether John is, or has been, at Baker St then the obvious way to find out, just like all the non-highly trained inhabitants of London, is to text/email/ring.

It makes no sense to suggest that she didn't know John was in danger because otherwise she wouldn't have told Sherlock that John was in danger...

February 26, 2014 9:36 pm  #178

Well, at least she suspects that John is in danger, because when Mrs. Hudson opens the door to her Mary says something along the line of "I think someone's got John!".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 26, 2014 10:01 pm  #179

Sticking to the facts.
Magnusson arranged for John to be drugged , kidnapped and placed inside the bonfire.
Magnusson wanted to watch Sherlock rescue John.
Magnusson arranged the camera's to watch .
Magnusson arranged the exact time and the exact place and the cctv to watch it all happen.
Magnusson arranged the message to be delivered at the exact time..and to the exact place he needed to make things happen ..( Sherlock) to film the test.

How does this not make sense.
What is hopeful thinking and not fact.

Last edited by lil (February 26, 2014 10:03 pm)

February 26, 2014 10:14 pm  #180

But the obvious way to find out what St James the Less is to Google it; the first answer that comes up on Google is that it is a church in Pimlico, with a handy little map showing how to get there.  Any ordinarily intelligent person can put a query into Google, just as any ordinarily intelligent person would know that if you want to know whether John is, or has been, at Baker St you text/email/ring Sherlock and/or Mrs Hudson.

What you don't do is take a car into central London and go to Baker St to ask Sherlock; it isn't sensible for an ordinarily intelligent person, which means that it's obviously idiotic for a highly trained agent.

And really, what sort of highly trained agent can't use Google? What sort of highly trained agent decides, in an emergency, to drive into central London? You don't need to be from England to use Google, just as you don't need to be from England to know that driving into central London is immensely time consuming. All you have to do is spend some time here, and Mary had apparently been here for five years...

Board footera