BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2014 5:22 pm  #1

Watson was a woman (a theory by Rex Stout)

Thanks to Ivmarak's hint in another thread I did a little search and came up with this historic jewel:

http://www.hwslash.net/stout.html

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 25, 2014 6:41 pm  #2

Re: Watson was a woman (a theory by Rex Stout)

I love it! Thanks to both Ivmarak and SusiGo; I read it originally so many years ago that I had forgotten it until now.

A historic jewel indeed...

February 25, 2014 7:02 pm  #3

Ah, so it was Rex Stout who came with that theory!
When I heard that in „Elementary“ there is a female Watson, I remembered that somebody voiced the opinion that Watson was a woman at some time. But I was not able to recall the name. I only remembered that the poor man who had that theory was then forced to leave the assembly of Baker Street Irregulars through a secret door, the members of BSI were so enraged.
Thank you so much for posting this!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 25, 2014 8:23 pm  #4

That was really very interesting to read.
And since Sherlock is actually a girl's name, the theory may not be too far off either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 26, 2014 2:09 am  #5

I can't believe this! I was thinking about this and someone posted it. As Balki, from another (albeit very different)  male-friendship show would say, "Susi must have ESPN!"

Interestingly, I know some dedicated Johnlockers who say that Stout was being homophobic. That is, he picked up on how "married couple" Holmes and Watson seem in canon, and he's grasping at ANY straw rather than acknowledge that two men are in love.

But Stout just might have come up with the answer that will please both of the main (canonical) shipping camps. 

Because, think about it: If Watson were a woman in canon, what would she have to be like?

Very unconventional. Probably an actress, or at least...have a knack for dressing up as a male...

February 26, 2014 7:12 am  #6

This is really strange. And I did not know this story at all but got curious when Ivmarak mentioned it in the other tread. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2014 8:38 am  #7

You probably know that the name Janine is a female form of John.

Last edited by Be (February 26, 2014 8:38 am)

April 18, 2014 3:55 am  #8

I don't know if I was being too coy before, but I was saying that if Watson was A woman s/he could be THE woman (who admits she often dresses up as a man, so she could easily assume a male identity on a regular basis to be a detective.)

Board footera