BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2014 12:04 am  #421

Re: The theory he told Anderson - The actual answer??

To me, this makes perfect sense. I think by stating that he wanted to consider Sherlock's return as a miracle, John expressed that he had truely forgiven Sherlock. Because there's nothing to be angry about when someone has just "given" you a miracle, is there?

And, if it's a miracle, it doesn't have to be the result of an intricate scheme that involved a lot of lying to John.

And frankly, even if the third explanation we saw was the real one, it WAS a bit of a miracle...that everything went off as planned and no one suspected you. And you could say that regardless of Sherlock's method for jumping and surviving...it was a miracle he pulled it off.

Because it's possible to jump into an airbag or safety net and still be hurt.

February 1, 2014 12:34 am  #422

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

To me, this makes perfect sense. I think by stating that he wanted to consider Sherlock's return as a miracle, John expressed that he had truely forgiven Sherlock. Because there's nothing to be angry about when someone has just "given" you a miracle, is there?

And, if it's a miracle, it doesn't have to be the result of an intricate scheme that involved a lot of lying to John.

And frankly, even if the third explanation we saw was the real one, it WAS a bit of a miracle...that everything went off as planned and no one suspected you. And you could say that regardless of Sherlock's method for jumping and surviving...it was a miracle he pulled it off.

Because it's possible to jump into an airbag or safety net and still be hurt.

Quite so; it does seem to be a point frequently overlooked!

February 8, 2014 3:43 am  #423

lisa wrote:

O, I must have missed that. That is a good point. I will have to go back and watch it again. But she did come out of his bedroom in the morning half dresssed and then joined him in the shower and there was all kinds of giggling going on in the bathroom.(Lots of giggling from me too and I'm a grown women, lol)  Now that I'm thinking about it, did they kiss goodbye at the door when she left for work? Well it will be a fun excuse to go back and re-watch it. I'm such a hopeless romantic and I love Sherlock and Benedict Cumberbatch so I am always on the look out for some kissisng and such! Thanks for the response.

And we got some very subtle Johnlock out of this, believe it or not: when John sees Janine and keeps babbling, "You have a girlfriend? You and Janine?" etc, you can tell what he's really asking/thinking is "Does Sherlock Holmes have a sex life now?" And he's got those images in his head 

There is a passage in the Doyle story "The Retired Colorman," spoken by Holmes, in which Holmes seems to be imagining Watson (successfully) wooing women.

But here, it sort of mirrors the reactions of female Benedict fans...perhaps they tease us so much about Sherlock's sexuality because women want to think that way about Benedict?

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 8, 2014 4:19 am)

February 8, 2014 8:55 am  #424

John was just staggered that asexual Sherlock had a girlfriend.
It was a perfect example of when knowing the Canon helped...I was able to enjoy the whole Janine thing, in fact I howled laughing.
But had I actually thought it REAL...I would indeed have been a heartbroken fan girl!

Last edited by besleybean (February 8, 2014 10:45 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2014 1:45 pm  #425

I’m not quite sure, whether it is the right theory or not.

First I felt perfectly alright with it. After TRF I had my own theory and the last one fits it quite well, so my first reaction was something like “Yeeeesss, I was right!” without further thinking. 

After a little while I admit that my theory wasn’t totally right. I didn’t see the airbag and the snipers being called off in it.

And now after some thinking I really have several doubts:
- Why does Sherlock call Anderson “Philip”? From Sherlocks point of view there is no need for (faking) appreciation/closeness. Anderson would have filmed him anyway due to his new-found devotion to him.  Later Sherlock called him Anderson again. So it might be only a wishful dream of Anderson.

- I did believe Moftiss when they said that all clues were in the whole series. But there was no sign for the airbag or that the sniper was called off.  In TRF it was quite the opposite: here the sniper focused John and then slowly packed up his belongings. No sign of threatening. Why should they have lied in TRF? But I have to admit that I have a problem with “John’s” sniper at all. How did he know that John comes back to St. Bart’s? For me there must be another one.
And to the airbag: I can’t really believe that something so big can be transported and removed unseen.

- Somewhere it was said that they filmed the second season reversed (from 3 to 1) to make no logical mistakes. But I see no relevance for this in this “solution”.

And all in all I’m a bit disappointed because of Sherlock’s brief comment that he had the upper hand in the conversation with Moriarty. But here I’m hoping for season 4…

February 8, 2014 5:50 pm  #426

I have a feeling we don't know half the story yet; not only from the way Gatiss and Moffat were laughing about it on the extras on the S3 DVD... but would he ever tell the truth? And to Anderson of all people?

Maybe one day Sherlock will tell John late at night how he really did it... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 8, 2014 10:44 pm  #427

besleybean wrote:

Jiohn was just staggered that asexual Sherlock had a girlfriend.
It was a perfect example of when knowing the Canon helped...I was able to enjoy the whole Janine thing, in fact I howled laughing.
But had I actually thought it REAL...I would indeed have been a heartbroken fan girl!

Why heartbroken? Because Sherlock was "taken"? Or because he was doing something wrong?

February 8, 2014 10:45 pm  #428

The former.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 9, 2014 7:50 pm  #429

Sherlock's line at the end to John, "You know my methods, I'm indestructible," sounded half-in-jest at the time. After the shooting scene of HLV, I just wonder...

Made me think differently about Moffit and Gattis' approach to pulling off a "dead, but then, not."

February 14, 2014 6:08 pm  #430

Okay, please correct me if I'm wrong ... but I didn't get something.
According to the theory Sherlock told Anderson, Mycroft's people (or someone, I dunno who it was) already had the sharp shooters under control. So why did Sherlock jump anyway?

I am sorry if this was discussed somewhere else already.

♥ I AM SHERLOCKED ♥
                                                              and I ship Johnlock harder than Mrs. Hudson ;-)

February 17, 2014 6:13 pm  #431

@ sherlocked4ever: I didn't understand that either. It's not logical for me...

After another brief look at this scene: (I'm sorry if it was already said) What about that this is John's theory? In the train it was a flash into his mind (at least the camera zooms towards John). John might know Andersons first name. And he is jealous that almost everybody else seems to know about Sherlock's faked death. And that Sherlock called Anderson by his first name and Anderson's "Why me?!?" might show his hurted feelings.

February 24, 2014 7:33 pm  #432

Does really no one knows the answer? :/

♥ I AM SHERLOCKED ♥
                                                              and I ship Johnlock harder than Mrs. Hudson ;-)

February 24, 2014 10:03 pm  #433

sherlocked4ever wrote:

Does really no one knows the answer? :/

There is still some doubt, but as I explained a few pages back, Sherlock had a major problem when he met Moriarty on the roof at Barts, and he told him that there was no cyber miracle, that everything had been achieved by the good old fashioned means of criminals since time immemorial.

Moriarty went on to say that John, Lestrade and Mrs Hudson would die unless his agent saw Sherlock jumping from the roof; and when Sherlock realised that Moriarty had the means to call his killers off he threatened him by explaining that he was a great deal more ruthless than his brother Mycroft at extracting information. At which point Moriarty committed suicide, ensuring that Sherlock had to jump or take the risk that three people he loved would die.

It also gave Sherlock another problem. He had a dead body on his hands, and would undoubtedly be arrested for Moriarty's murder; it is difficult to find a way of destroying a world wide criminal ring when you are in the dock on trial for murder.

So he jumped...

February 26, 2014 4:31 am  #434

Sorry if this has already been asked and discussed, but I'm way too tired to go through 31 pages to make sure. Why did they put Sherlock telling how he faked it (if that was even the actual theory) in the middle of the bomb scene with Sherlock and John? Was it just to make it more suspenseful?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

February 26, 2014 8:57 am  #435

I only yesterday watched the DVD extras...one of which extensively covers this thread title.
Really, until people have seen this, there isn't much point discussing the topic.
That should be the starting point!
I now get what people have been saying about it all...
So to try and answer the last point...
Seemed as appropriate time as any!

March 9, 2014 11:50 pm  #436

Well its pretty obvious to me.. After the second time I ve watched the episode I think the story he told Anderson is the true one. First its not like Sherlock making jokes or fool somebody like this' even if its Anderson , correct? Then when they are with Mary and Sherlock starts telling the story to John says exactly the same thing told Anderson (his brother knew it, molly, the homeless network etc) it fits perfect. We know  he was to tell the truth to John, so that must be the truth to our question. Also we have the talk with molly at the hospital, she knew, she helped him throwing the body so John could see it, she wasnt followed from a sniper. And it fits great as he says that everything was planned as we see snap shots from the time mycroft held moriarty and how they were expecting Moriarty to run after  Sherlock., so they were prepared. Mystery solved in that episode for me.

The Game Is On_

March 10, 2014 12:01 am  #437

And remember, the explanation could be real, and yet telling Anderson could be imaginary. 

I could see Sherlock withholding the answer from people like Anderson and Donovan, to drive them crazy. And from John because he likes to be mysterious to John.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (March 10, 2014 2:21 am)

March 10, 2014 6:43 am  #438

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

And remember, the explanation could be real, and yet telling Anderson could be imaginary. 

I could see Sherlock withholding the answer from people like Anderson and Donovan, to drive them crazy. And from John because he likes to be mysterious to John.

Yes but this time talking to John didnt seem to joking around, he seemed pretty serious and to Anderson too. Thats why when A doesnt like his explanation SH does that grin with his face and leaves the room, I think he regrets telling the truth cause A dont believe him! Maybe then he thought he should tell something more... Fancy, to satisfy the expectations of a fan (like what happens exactly online!)

P.s. Sorry for my poor English (hello from greece :-)  )

The Game Is On_

March 10, 2014 6:57 am  #439

The  'I'm indestructible ' line is canonical.

March 10, 2014 7:32 pm  #440

besleybean wrote:

The  'I'm indestructible ' line is canonical.

Where in canon? I remember from canon that Holmes says a few times, something to the effect of, "I am not the super-being that Watson's memoirs make me out to be."

Board footera