BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2014 5:58 pm  #1

How to get your little Benedict moments at a Star Trek con

Just left Destination Star Trek, on the train back home and thought to tell you something about these little moments. Even if typing this will last ages because I can't handle my smartphone that fast. But I have a whole hour now so...

First of all... of course Benedict wasn't there. Then we would have had BIG moments. 
But there were chances to enjoy it "Benedict-wise".
Spent 2 fabulous days there with Solar and on Saturday also with sava.  Thank you a lot for that.

Ok, how can you do it with the moments? The merchandise concerning Benedict was rather poor. Maybe 3 kind of t-shirts, 2 posters and the 2014 calender of STID. Nothing really different if you can get everywhere. Was also disappointed that there weren't any photos.

But we watched several panels with different actors. One was boring, sorry to say that Mr. Shatner, but the others really were entertaining. The one with Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn for example. For whom who are not familiar with Star Trek... this actors played main characters in the second series The Next Generation. Ok, there one girl stood up, wanted to ask a question and was interrupted by Marina Sirtis because she was wearing a t-shirt with Benedict on it. We couldn't see what it was because we were sitting behind. Marina something like: "Oh Benedict Cumberbatch on your t-shirt, love him. A brilliant actor. Someone said to me: you know him personally already. Saw him in a play (Solar, what was it ? Can't remember it) and went for a drink afterwards. Gone. Don't remember it " Well she isn't the youngest anymore  but she really was enthusiastic about Benedict.
And at another panel, Karl Urban... yummy  ... a guy who made it a little bit easier for me to cope with Benedict not being there , was the other one who made our day. And why? Because Solar asked something absolutely brilliant.
Solar, if you read this, it should be your honor to write this down here...

Last edited by gently69 (February 23, 2014 6:06 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 23, 2014 6:48 pm  #2

Re: How to get your little Benedict moments at a Star Trek con

Ha, gently, I didn't really expect you to open an extra thread for this, but now that we're here...

The play was "Hedda Gabler", according to Marina. Here is a pic, Benedict starred in it from March to April 2005.
http://www.benedictcumberbatch.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/hedda-gabler/heddaa.jpg

That really was so unexpected and I was so thrilled that she mentioned him. And of course I couldn't help myself and went a bit fangirlish then... wooohoooooo!!!

And yes, Karl.... I'll just copy what I already wrote in the other thread.
I actually asked him a question about Khan and what he thought when he heard that they would bring Khan into STID (Urban obviously knows his Star Trek, he's a fan of TOS)  - and yes, that was my way of maybe making him mention Benedict.  Which he did. Doesn't come as a surprise, but he said that in his opinion Benedict did a terrific job at bringing Khan to life and that it was great to work with him. Yessssss...!!!   

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 23, 2014 6:52 pm  #3

And OMG (), while doing "Hedda Gabler" Benedict apparently met Sir Patrick Stewart...! Here we go again, Star Trek!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 23, 2014 6:59 pm  #4

This... WOW! So he has some more connections to Star Trek. 
Yes, why not open a small thread for that, Solar? Just wanna share my thoughts. 

Last edited by gently69 (February 23, 2014 7:00 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

February 23, 2014 7:02 pm  #5

Glad you had a lot of fun even without Benedict. But I suppose he had to go to Zurich today. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 23, 2014 7:03 pm  #6

Oh, you can open as many threads as you like, dear, don't get me wrong.

And yes, how fantastic is that...? Maybe that was even the same evening when Marina saw the play?
Anyway, that picture is great! How intensely Benedict looks at Patrick... love it!

February 23, 2014 7:05 pm  #7

SusiGo wrote:

Glad you had a lot of fun even without Benedict. But I suppose he had to go to Zurich today. 

Yes, we actually talked about this yesterday... but come on, if he had flown with MJN Air, he could have gone to the Convention yesterday and then continued to Zurich today.

February 23, 2014 7:08 pm  #8

We also met a guy who was a "fangirl". His own words and after that the immediate statement that he is not gay...
Well... 
I was wearing a Khan t-shirt yesterday and he reacted on that with puppy love about Benedict... how he looks, how brilliant his voice sounds, his acting skills.
To be honest I never heard a man speaking about Benedict like this before. Strange. 

Last edited by gently69 (February 23, 2014 7:11 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

February 23, 2014 7:15 pm  #9

Yeah, he was quite a fangirl, wasn't he? But also a bit... tipsy...

February 23, 2014 7:30 pm  #10

SolarSystem wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, we actually talked about this yesterday... but come on, if he had flown with MJN Air, he could have gone to the Convention yesterday and then continued to Zurich today.

Hmm... but MJN Air had to land at Frankfurt Hahn.  He would have needed a longer transfer then.

And yes this guy was a little bit tipsy, this red... something he was drinking..., but nevertheless he made a brilliant fangirl. And I think he was serious about it. 

Last edited by gently69 (February 23, 2014 7:31 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera