BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 18, 2012 6:23 am  #61

Re: What makes you unique?

Thanks to SP and Veecee, very sweet of you  .
@Veecee: HP in six languages? That's amazing  . I read them all in English and then I read them to my son in German and I thought that was much  . But, yes, I too loved Harry Potter but didn't join a forum. There must be some magic in Sherlock.

Oh, there's another thing about me: I don't know the English word for this, but I accompany my daughter's field hockey team to matches, tournaments etc. and assist the trainer in organisational matters. I've known the girls for nine years and it's really to nice to see how they develop  .

Last edited by SusiGo (June 18, 2012 2:11 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 18, 2012 2:36 pm  #62

"Hence your user name?"

Yep, good deduction! 

Fetchinketch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 18, 2012 3:36 pm  #63

Actually my username is part of my real name  . But, yes, of course I am standing beside the hockey pitch shouting: Go, girls, go!

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 18, 2012 4:35 pm  #64

I'm not particularly special in any way, but I was very ill when I was a baby with:
septicaemia, (twice)
pneumonia, (twice)
broken leg,
hip dysplacia etc.
Oh, and I was nearly 7 weeks premature, and a twin...
But I'm all better now and haven't been to hospital for ages (touch wood!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 18, 2012 4:41 pm  #65

Oh, Molly, that's hard for a baby and its parents. I'm very relieved to hear that you are better now. And apart from that - everyone's special in a way and you count  .

June 18, 2012 6:58 pm  #66

It proves you are a tough cookie Molly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 18, 2012 11:06 pm  #67

SusiGo wrote:

Thanks to SP and Veecee, very sweet of you  .
@Veecee: HP in six languages? That's amazing  . I read them all in English and then I read them to my son in German and I thought that was much  . But, yes, I too loved Harry Potter but didn't join a forum. There must be some magic in Sherlock.

Oh, there's another thing about me: I don't know the English word for this, but I accompany my daughter's field hockey team to matches, tournaments etc. and assist the trainer in organisational matters. I've known the girls for nine years and it's really to nice to see how they develop  .

I'm trying to think of the word in the US. You're a hockey mom, but more than that. Could just be parent helper, but it seems to me that there is a more specfic term. I'll let you know if it comes to me.

I bet a lot of people on this forum have read Harry Potter. I don't know German, but I would love to give it a try.

June 18, 2012 11:08 pm  #68

Molly Hooper wrote:

I'm not particularly special in any way, but I was very ill when I was a baby with:
septicaemia, (twice)
pneumonia, (twice)
broken leg,
hip dysplacia etc.
Oh, and I was nearly 7 weeks premature, and a twin...
But I'm all better now and haven't been to hospital for ages (touch wood!)

Molly, so glad you are OK now. I hope your twin is also OK?

June 20, 2012 12:36 pm  #69

Veecee, the German translation is quite good. Of course they can't save all the puns but it is done quite nicely.

June 20, 2012 2:23 pm  #70

What makes me unique is that back in 1990 when I visited the UK I was able to capture London in a unique way. Just found this old drawing of mine and thought to share. I even got the proportions right at first try.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 20, 2012 2:24 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 20, 2012 2:29 pm  #71

Oh, that's very sweet. Thanks for sharing, Dramagod.

June 20, 2012 3:53 pm  #72

Aww, that's totally lovely!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 20, 2012 5:34 pm  #73

I can't see it!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 20, 2012 5:41 pm  #74

Have you installed any "crappy kid drawing" -filters on your computer lately?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 20, 2012 7:22 pm  #75

Who saved the drawing?

June 20, 2012 7:31 pm  #76

I hope no one, otherwise I'll have to sue you. It's an original Drama after all.

June 20, 2012 9:46 pm  #77

Oh! It's there now!
It's not crappy. It's...naive. I like naive. L.S. Lowry did naive and his are worth loads of money.

June 21, 2012 3:37 am  #78

Dramagod wrote:

I hope no one, otherwise I'll have to sue you. It's an original Drama after all.

I meant who saved the drawing from when you were a child -- your mom (mum), you, grandma?

It reminds me of some fabric I just bought, by the way.

June 21, 2012 5:19 am  #79

So I just finished reading The Adventure of the Speckled Band and googled the eponymous snake to see if it actually exists.  According to Wikipedia (so it may or may not be true), ACD was referring to a swamp adder.  Which lives in East Africa, not India. 

Be that as it may, I suspect that what makes me unique on this board, although not in the universe, is that I'm the only person who's ever been bitten by an adder.  Fortunately, the outcome was different from that of the story!  Though I did spend a night in the hospital, pumped full of anti-venom to reduce the swelling in my arm.  Fun to laugh about now but at the time--not so much.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 21, 2012 8:43 am  #80

Dramagod, that drawing is absolutely lovely

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

Board footera