BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2012 5:37 pm  #1

"You're a doctor ... in fact; you're an army doctor..."

"You're a doctor…in fact; you're an army doctor…"

That scene I believe to be one of my all-time favourite parts in Sherlock.
I never get tired of watching those magic twenty-six seconds.
To me, it causes the impression to be some kind of interview with John eagerly applying to a job with Sherlock. He looks squarely in the eyes of his prospective employer and answers his questions firmly and confidently.

I find it even more interesting and fascinating as there is an almost identical version of that scene in the pilot. With exception of John's "Oh" before "god, yes" (as in the pilot) there are no changes being made in PINK. This might be proof that Moffat believed this bit to be perfect. (Yes, it definitely is! )
But what a difference in Ben's and Martin's performances! In the pilot, where I feel a certain implied aggressiveness from John; things between Sherlock and him seem to be going less smoothly at that point than in PINK.
"Oh god, yes." In my opinion, that's the moment John falls for the life Sherlock offers him.
Vice versa:
"That was. Amazing", said by John in the cab, is the moment Sherlock learns that there might be the possibility (if he's very, very lucky, of course!) that someone could accept him as he is.
When they finally get out of the cab in Brixton the course between the two of them has already been set.

Last edited by tobeornot221b (June 19, 2012 5:37 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 19, 2012 5:51 pm  #2

Re: "You're a doctor ... in fact; you're an army doctor..."

You are right, it's a wonderful scene. Simply perfect. I  absolutely agree with your interpretation  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 19, 2012 6:37 pm  #3

I agree completely.  The theme is continued with "I said dangerous and here you are."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 19, 2012 7:12 pm  #4

Agreed. It would appear that Sherlock has already deduced exactly what his big brother deduces a while later...that John misses the danger. Agree also that this is reinforced later with the text message. Sherlock knows that telling John that it might be dangerous will absolutely ensure that he comes (it is, of course, a complete lie).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2012 9:18 pm  #5

Davina wrote:

Sherlock knows that telling John that it might be dangerous will absolutely ensure that he comes (it is, of course, a complete lie).

Ahh, but is it a lie?  Certainly, in that immediate moment it isn't dangerous.  But another way to interpret that remark is that if John continues to associate with Sherlock, dangerous things might happen to John.  Which, of course, they do.  So I can see it as an oblique warning from Sherlock to John that becoming more involved with Sherlock might not be the safest thing for John to do.  But that, as you said, Davina, is what makes the prospect appealing to John, whether he consciously realizes it or not at that point, and Sherlock knows that, too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 20, 2012 2:13 am  #6

Whoa people!  "It could be dangerous" isn't really a lie, is it?  When John gets back to 221B Sherlock asks him to text to the Pink Lady's phone knowing the serial killer has it and will read it and then most likely will show up at the  designated spot in the text - Northumberland St.(?) was it - or something like that. And then they go off to wait for the killer to show up and end up having a wild pursuit through the streets of the city.  Pretty dangerous stuff to me. Sherlock didn't lie. 
But as you can tell from my signature line, "And I said dangerous and here you are" is one of my favorite lines in the show.  The way Ben delivers it - it's like a laser beam straight into the heart of John's psyche and so darkly seductive it makes me catch my breath each time.  *blush*

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 20, 2012 2:26 am  #7

tobeornot221b wrote:

"You're a doctor…in fact; you're an army doctor…"

That scene I believe to be one of my all-time favourite parts in Sherlock.
I never get tired of watching those magic twenty-six seconds.
To me, it causes the impression to be some kind of interview with John eagerly applying to a job with Sherlock. He looks squarely in the eyes of his prospective employer and answers his questions firmly and confidently

My favorite part of that scene - although you can't actually see it on camera but you can see it in the movement of the actors - is that Sherlock takes John by the hand or arm and literally pulls him from the room into his new life of adventure.  Great moment!

At the beginning of that scene I also like how at first John is left sitting alone in the chair with just the cane and Mrs. Hudson as Sherlock rushes off - so reminiscent of him sitting alone in that miserable room at the start of the show.  And then just at the edge of peripheral vision this dark figure appears in the doorway and Sherlock slowly advances back into the room to "save" John.  A dark angel indeed.......

June 20, 2012 3:44 am  #8

KeepersPrice wrote:

My favorite part of that scene - although you can't actually see it on camera but you can see it in the movement of the actors - is that Sherlock takes John by the hand or arm and literally pulls him from the room into his new life of adventure.  Great moment!

Isn't that just sooo romantic when you think about it?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 20, 2012 4:48 am  #9

Kazza...you're misbehaving again! LOL

(I hate the Johnlock stuff too)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 20, 2012 5:05 am  #10

Sherlock texts John to come back whether or not it is inconvenient. Then he texts to say it might be dangerous to ensure that he comes back. Why? Because Sherlock cannot be bothered to get up and send a text on the dead woman's phone to her killer. You can see by John's face and tell by his words that he knows he has been duped...he's actually quite miffed about it. Sherlock knows by using the word 'dangerous' John would rush along. He isn't referring to what happens later with the catching the killer and everything, all he's referring to is getting John to send the text because he cannot be bothered to and also (I guess) to involve John in what might happen as a result.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 20, 2012 11:25 am  #11

kazza474 wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Isn't that just sooo romantic when you think about it?

Kazza, are you being wicked again your Highness?    Actually, my observation on that scene is not entirely my own.  I listened to the Pink commentary on my DVD and Gatiss says the same thing - so it must be true, right?

June 20, 2012 11:32 am  #12

Wholocked wrote:

So, can those of us who might want a serious discussion on the relationship angle and not fear ridicule have our own Topic area?  That way, those who don't want to hear about it don't have to go there.

June 20, 2012 12:28 pm  #13

Of course you can KeepersPrice. Just select the new topic tab in the General Discussion thread, as the relationship thing runs over all the episodes and note it as for those who want to discuss Johnlock. Alternatively, message the boss and ask her to put a new topic area in for it.

June 20, 2012 4:23 pm  #14

KeepersPrice wrote:

Wholocked wrote:

So, can those of us who might want a serious discussion on the relationship angle and not fear ridicule have our own Topic area?  That way, those who don't want to hear about it don't have to go there.

Bravo! Perhaps we can form our own little sub group!

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 20, 2012 4:39 pm  #15

I think Sherlock is seducing John in that scene, but it doesn't strike me as at all sexual. Even Martin Freeman says he thinks the characters are in love (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8531671/Sherlock-is-the-gayest-story-in-the-history-of-television-says-Martin-Freeman.html), but again... it doesn't feel like an erotic love to me. Maybe we need both a sexual Johnlock thread and a non-sexual one devoted to the emotional aspects of their relationship. Cover all the bases.

June 20, 2012 4:47 pm  #16

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

...yeah - revealing our true natures! 

But I don't  think that the "relationship" between Sherlock and John can be necessarily equated with the "Johnlock" thing.
Everything's open to our interpretations. Who said this ... umm, I remember...it was the man who said: "I'm just the writer."

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 20, 2012 9:50 pm  #17

I'm all for that imane. My interests lie more in the emotional aspect of the relationship and where it's taking these characters and what they're learning from it. I tend to step back a bit from the sexual because I view the relationship on a different level, but I am more than willing to discuss if that's where the threads lead.  I just want a "safe" place where we can discuss and/or confess what we want.  I'm going to try starting a thread off tonight when I get home from work.  Stay tuned....

June 20, 2012 10:54 pm  #18

tobeornot221b wrote:

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

...yeah - revealing our true natures! 

But I don't  think that the "relationship" between Sherlock and John can be necessarily equated with the "Johnlock" thing.
Everything's open to our interpretations. Who said this ... umm, I remember...it was the man who said: "I'm just the writer."

Yes. John and Sherlock have a typical guy type friendship. Neither would admit it. It has nothing to do with Sherlock's steely lack of expressed affection. It has to do with guys being guys. All men are like that! No one can reasonably watch them cracking up in Buckingham Palace together and think they have no kinship and rapport

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 20, 2012 11:44 pm  #19

Ah see the friendship between Sherlock and John I quite enjoy watching develop. I just dislike the "Johnlock" sexual and/or romantic relationship thing because it's just so far away from what the characters experience in the canon and as this series is trying to stay close to the canon, I just don't see any place for it. In fact I think exploring it as a sexual or romantic relationship actually detracts from the beauty of the friendship they have.

Just my opinion though and I'll probably stay out of that thread because it will probably frustrate me ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 21, 2012 3:14 am  #20

The line between friendship and romance is not so hard and fast, I think. Both John and Sherlock clearly respond to women sexually. But the depth of their friendship and intimacy with each other goes deep enough that I can see how it gets blurry for some people. I think of it as a romantic (but not sexually charged) friendship. I've had friends before who I was definitely in love with, including idealization, obsession, and jealousy -- and yet I had no interest in sleeping with them whatsoever.

This is probably a question for another thread, but is the jealousy that Sherlock shows toward Mary in canon?I've not read enough stories, but it's very clear in the other modern adaptation.

Board footera