BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2012 3:59 am  #1

"Elementary!" A video based on the Holmes/Wason Camping Trip Joke

Dear everyone,

I have received permission to post my song/video.

You can see it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QveGBLNqBX0

I monetized the song on You Tube because, why not?  You will see a brief ad for something or other,
something I have no connection with.  You are stuck watching some of the ad, a few seconds before they let you watch the video, but after a little bit it can be skipped.  The ads so far have been for upcoming movies and one for Home Depot.

I hope you enjoy "Elementary!"
rob k

June 8, 2012 7:43 am  #2

Re: "Elementary!" A video based on the Holmes/Wason Camping Trip Joke

I did enjoy it. Is that you playing the banjo?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 8, 2012 10:40 am  #3

Rob, that is adorable Thanks for sharing!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 8, 2012 11:44 am  #4

Thank you!

Alas, it was not me playing the banjo or any other instrument.  The arrangement came from "Band in a Box," to which I made a few changes.  This was loaded into the music writing program Sibelius 7, tweaked a little more and recorded on garage band, one instrument at a time.  Sibelius 7 has a pretty fair instrument simulator.

That is me singing.  I have a simulator for that too, but it sounds martian.  Check out this link for a sample of that.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=6169151&q=hi&newref=1

Thanks again!

rob k

June 8, 2012 4:06 pm  #5

Wonderful! I love all the puns/plays on words. Can't imagine having the time to put something like that together.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 8, 2012 11:03 pm  #6

That's great, rob k!  I love all the graphics and the lyrics, too.  How long did it take you to produce the entire piece?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 18, 2012 7:16 pm  #7

Thanks for all the nice comments!

The song took about 4 hours to write, another two to arrange. Sometimes I have to drive a lot and do most of my composing with digital recorder while I am on the road.

The video itself took about 12 hours over the course of several months.

Then You Tube challenged my right to the pictures I used and I spent another 3 hours or so "splaining" to them about public domain and merger doctrine and the like, until I got an OK from them.

Fortunately I already knew how to use imovie (except for the stuff I forgot)  doing another similar video based on an old pirate joke.

By the way, in case you didn't notice, the fellow playing the banjo and doing the part of Watson is actually a picture of Sidney Paget, best known for his artwork that accompanied the SH stories, but who has also done other art, including some very nice land and seascapes.

rob k

Fun fact:

A complete set of Strand issues featuring the illustrated Sherlock Holmes tales is one of the rarest and most expensive collector's items in publishing history. Paget's original 10.5 x 6.75 inch drawing of "Holmes and Moriarty in Mortal Combat at the Edge of the Reichenbach Falls" was sold by Sotheby's in New York on 16 November 2004 for $220,800.

June 18, 2012 8:55 pm  #8

Wow! That's a lot of work!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 20, 2012 3:22 pm  #9

Davina wrote:

Wow! That's a lot of work!

As J.M. Barrie (who wrote Peter Pan) said: “It’s only work if you’d rather be doing something else!"

or how about

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are supposed to be doing something else.   

rob k

Board footera