BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2014 8:31 am  #1

Photography

Do any of you like to take photographs? Would you share some of them?

I am a bit random with my pictures... I'm not too good at it; but this one I think is rather cute; I took it for a food blog I gave up a while back. Now it's my Facebook cover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 21, 2014 9:27 am  #2

Re: Photography

I consider myself an amateur photographer, but I mostly enjoy landscape photography. I take most of my photos when I travel, and I have an online gallery to prove it. I have a Canon EOS 550D (SLR) and two lenses (18-50 Sigma and 55-250 Canon).

There's quite a lot of shots I really like. Here's a small selection (some of them were business trips, I don't get that much vacation time).

Austria 2012

Niagara Falls (Canadian side) 2013

Algonquin Park (Canada) 2013

North York Moors (Yorkshire) 2013

Aysgarth Falls (Yorkshire) 2013

Brighton (UK) 2013

Isle of Harris (Scotland) 2011

Isle of Lewis (Scotland) 2011

Dalyan Lagune (Turkey) 2011

Pamukkale (Turkey) 2011

Copenhagen (Denmark) 2010

Alexandria, VA 2009

Snowshill Manor (UK) 2009

Chairs in winter hibernation (Germany) 2013

Barcelona (Spain) 2012

Near my parents' house (Germany) 2012

You all know this one, right? (The London Eye) 2012

Sunrise at the Dallas, TX airport 2012

Winter in my city (Germany) 2012

This one time my cactus had this tiny, hairy blob growing out of it. And a few days later, the next time I look, there’s this huge blossom. Short-lasting beauty right there on my window sill.

Last edited by TeeJay (February 21, 2014 9:31 am)

February 21, 2014 9:40 am  #3

Wonderful pics, this thread is a very good idea. Here is one of mine which reminds me of Sherlock.

View from Tate Modern

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 21, 2014 9:43 am  #4

Oh wow @TeeJay! You have a great sense of colour in those pictures and such great timing. I could just stare at them all day!

I love yours too @Susi that is very much Sherlock! I love London although all I have seen is pictures and movies!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 21, 2014 11:36 am  #5

I love your photos TeeJay! The close ups and the atmosphere. Really good!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 21, 2014 11:40 am  #6

Some beautiful pictures here - I'm so envious of anyone who can capture so much with the click of a lens
I love beautiful photography but unfortunately have no gift for it

I went to see David Bailey's exhibition yesterday in London - some stunning images there.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 21, 2014 12:00 pm  #7

Oh, yes, fantastic photos. I'd like to join.

Norway 2012

The quality might not be the best because I loaded it from my smartphone...

Last edited by gently69 (February 21, 2014 12:03 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 21, 2014 12:00 pm  #8

Well, admittedly I did a bit of a colour/contrast editing on some of the pictures. Love your London photo, Susi. The light is amazing. I really need to go back to London some time. I've been there many times in the last few years, but only in a drive-through capacity when I landed in Luton or Heathrow and then directly went on to another destination.

Sometimes it's a little tedious to lug around all that SLR equipment with you, because it's bulky and heavy in comparison, but I'm always so disappointed by the photos I take with my small pocket digicam (Panasonic Lumix) that I gladly take the SLR along whenever I can. Once you have that high standard and know what SLR photography can do, the compact cams just don't compare.

February 21, 2014 12:05 pm  #9

Gasp! Gosh I'm glad I started this thread now; So much beauty to look at!

I found this again; this is the road by my mother's house... this branch only flowers in May and I find it so precious when it does. Again, the quality is bad, sorry!

Also, can someone help me? I have a picture I want to share, but I fear it might be a bit too 'dark' and possibly triggering. Can I post a link with a warning or should I rather not post it at all?

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (February 21, 2014 12:06 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 21, 2014 12:56 pm  #10

Can you not upload it somewhere else and then post a link to it rather than the actual photo? That way people can decide whether they want to click on it or not after you've warned them.

February 21, 2014 1:23 pm  #11

TeeJay: I love your photos. Just great.

If you want to look I have my photos on deviantArt, have a look

http://criosdan.deviantart.com/

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

February 21, 2014 2:00 pm  #12

Such fab photos everyone!

I adore photography!

My main accounts are at DeviantART -

http://forestina-fotos.deviantart.com/gallery/

and at FlickR -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15421987@N05/

I like to take photos of flowers, gardens, nature and antique objects!

I'd like to show a couple of my favourite photos on this thread but all the options for smilies/image links etc seem to have disappeared! Anyone else having the same problem?

February 21, 2014 2:04 pm  #13

Wow, spiral, amazing photos. Now I feel very inadequate... I love the dark atmosphere in some of your photos. Really great work. (I've also tried to take pictures of raindrops in spiderwebs, but somehow they've never quite come out the way I wanted. I have one that I'm okay-happy with, but I have to look for it at home cause I can't find it in my online gallery.)

Here, have some more insect pics:

Last edited by TeeJay (February 21, 2014 2:07 pm)

February 21, 2014 2:09 pm  #14

TeeJay wrote:

Wow, spiral, amazing photos. Now I feel very inadequate... I love the dark atmosphere in some of your photos. Really great work. (I've also tried to take pictures of raindrops in spiderwebs, but somehow they've never quite come out the way I wanted.)

Don't be silly! You have some gorgeous photos! I do tweak mine a little anyway. Enhance the colour a tad, tweak the lighting.

I love creating a sense of story/narrative with some of my still life photos. I love taking pics of antique objects - coins, keys, clocks etc - and turn the shot sepia to give a sense of time, There is a professor in the novel I am writing and the still life pics are inspired by his huge cluttered study/library.

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (February 21, 2014 2:11 pm)

February 21, 2014 2:12 pm  #15

Beautiful insect photos Teejay!!

February 21, 2014 2:25 pm  #16

Lovely pictures TeeJay!
The nigara falls look familiar!  Unfortunately we didn't have ideal weather when we were there and it was really crowded... Most of my pics have much moist in it... And actually most of them I haven't even developed from RAW yet, shame on me it was in last June, I really should do this...

I also love to take photos, but not so much recently...

Here is my DeviantArt profile:
http://diezera.deviantart.com/

At a lake nearby...

Finland 2010...

http://www.pixum.de/meine-fotos/album/4666647/image/321082699
http://www.pixum.de/meine-fotos/album/4666647/image/395887860

And here my concert picture portfolio...
http://soundofthedark.de/nm/Portfolio/Portfolio.html

Last edited by zeratul (February 21, 2014 2:26 pm)

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

February 21, 2014 2:41 pm  #17

Talking about spiderwebs, I call this one The Spider's Bum:

February 21, 2014 2:44 pm  #18

Sometimes I experiment with black and white filters. Here's a few from the Neanderthal Museum in Düsseldorf (kind of a natural history of evolution museum). The guy with the beard and glasses is a good friend of mine.

February 21, 2014 3:44 pm  #19

Oh WOW Spiral; I feel so lucky somehow to get to see your photographs; you're a true artist! I love how the pictures seem to tell a story; I'm a huge fan of that!

TeeJay, your insect pictures are such gems, and I love the nature in yours, Zeratul

This is the picture I talked about... The thing is I don't remember taking it. But I do know it isn't what it appears to be; it's staged,,, I just wish I had used a better focus at the time. 

WARNING: this is not for everyones stomach and may be triggering to people with certain urges. 

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/M-Jackson-girl/b2e932c5-04af-46dc-8682-33d86816eb6a_zps2467869c.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 21, 2014 4:18 pm  #20

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Oh WOW Spiral; I feel so lucky somehow to get to see your photographs; you're a true artist! I love how the pictures seem to tell a story; I'm a huge fan of that!

TeeJay, your insect pictures are such gems, and I love the nature in yours, Zeratul

This is the picture I talked about... The thing is I don't remember taking it. But I do know it isn't what it appears to be; it's staged,,, I just wish I had used a better focus at the time. 

WARNING: this is not for everyones stomach and may be triggering to people with certain urges. 

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/M-Jackson-girl/b2e932c5-04af-46dc-8682-33d86816eb6a_zps2467869c.jpg

Awww! Thank you so much! That is what I try so hard to do in my still life photos - tell a story. Because writing is my main passion, I am always wanting to infuse (if that's the right word) some narrative into my pics. I want people to wonder what the story is behind the objects, who owned them, etc, and create their own stories around the keys and watches and other curiosities.

I took a look at your photo. I'm not too keen on that theme (no offense meant but I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to blood!) but it was very artistically done. The angle, and black and white, works well.

Board footera