BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2014 11:12 pm  #1

I don't think Moriarty is alive

To be honest I don't think Moriarty is still alive. Have anybody ever thought about how he would survive a gunshot to the head right in front of Sherlock? Did anybody wonder why "Moriarty" would be using an animated gif with a robotic voice for his reappearance? I actually found a pretty good article about how Moriarty may not be Moriarty here: http://www.latintimes.com/sherlock-season-4-predictions-6-theories-about-moriartys-reappearance-150467

My wild guess is it's Colonel Sebastian Moran, the "second most dangerous man in Londaon after Moriarty and also happens to be a surviving lieutenant of Moriarty

February 19, 2014 11:25 pm  #2

Re: I don't think Moriarty is alive

I'm still holdong on to the theory that he's not actually dead either! I thought of the exact same thing, with the whole animated gif and robotic voice. 

But to be honest, I just don't know what to think. A part of me would really love it if he was back, because he's my favourite villain, but then a part of me just believes that he's not alive, and it's just been made for all of us to think of it being that way.

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

February 19, 2014 11:28 pm  #3

I love Moriarty character and Andrew Scott too, but I don't know, I just think it's rather out of character if they bring him back.. I mean he never returned in the book but again, Mary was supposed to be dead before Sherlock returned in the book so yeah, I guess everything is possible. Though I still don't understand why he would use such amature gif for his grand reappearance???

February 19, 2014 11:32 pm  #4

Exactly, I would have thought that he would that with it being Moriarty, he would do it all live, and his own voice, but then again, I don't know, Moriarty being Moriarty, maybe wanted to be more dramatic, deciding to do it that way in the end.

I don't know, I just want to know now!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

February 20, 2014 9:00 pm  #5

Remember, there is one brief moment when you see him live, not a gif.  I'd like for him to be alive, these are Dr. Who's writers after all, and they have played fast and loose with the canon, to say the least.

February 20, 2014 11:36 pm  #6

I must admit that I'll be really disappointed if it turns out that he's alive.
It would wipe out the whole dramatic ending of TRF and the whole point of Sherlock bring away for two years.
I don't watch Dr Who but I know that while lots of viewers love what Moffat has done with it, others are not so happy .
But the point is, Dr Who is science fiction - so writers can get away with doing things like bringing people back to life!
Sherlock is not science fiction and so resurrecting deceased characters too often is not going to work, imo .

Last edited by Tinks (February 20, 2014 11:37 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 21, 2014 6:38 am  #7

I would love to see him back(selfishly).
But I don't think it's going to happen, anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 21, 2014 8:13 am  #8

This is going to sound a bit crazy... but the other day I sat with my toy replica gun and tried to figure out if it is possible to fire inside your mouth and not hit the brainstem... I suppose he could have been extremely lucky but then we would have seen a hole in his cheek... Unless he was using a fake gun and stage blood at the back of his head. I doubt Sherlock would have missed something like that.

Also, if he had survived why use the robotic voice, gif thing? I do think it's someone who will do things in his name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 21, 2014 9:46 am  #9

Yeah, I realize that! but... well I don't know. I don't think he is alive. Sherlock would have known right away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 24, 2014 9:51 pm  #10

A criminal operating with any kind of logic would have waited until Sherlock Holmes was in exile before revealing himself.

Is Moriarty more interested in having Sherlock to "play" with, than in successfully committing crimes?

OR, would he employ CAM tactics: "I saved you from being exiled. You owe me." OR "You can't get rid of me because once the world is rid of me, you'll be exiled again."

February 26, 2014 5:03 pm  #11

Keep in mind that in the canon, Moriarty had a brother, also named James.  If they were twins, it would be very convenient.  And of course, the one who died on the roof might have been subordinant to his smarter brother.......

February 26, 2014 6:59 pm  #12

lvmarak wrote:

Keep in mind that in the canon, Moriarty had a brother, also named James.  If they were twins, it would be very convenient.  And of course, the one who died on the roof might have been subordinant to his smarter brother.......

And we still haven't seen the spare villain from the Return of Sherlock Homes; Moftiss used the surname but none of the details relating to the villain...

February 27, 2014 2:31 pm  #13

lvmarak wrote:

Then probably Mycroft (being the smart one) should deal with the superior Moriarty?? Unsuccessfully, of course and Sherlock come to rescue him?

February 27, 2014 3:04 pm  #14

I would like to see Janine being revealed as a new Moriarty (as Jim′s sister or a relative). I have an uncanny feeling in my gut that she has plenty of secrets which were never revealed to us as spectators.

But of course, this is Moftiss, so they will probably shock us with something very different and weid.  

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 2, 2014 11:04 pm  #15

Hi just watched trf and noticed that there wasn't much blood when moriarty shot himself? Does this mean that he didn't kill himself? Sorry if already been said just thought I would point it out...

Don't talk out loud Anderson, you lower the IQ of the whole street,

March 3, 2014 7:05 am  #16

There wasn't much blood as UK TV is not allowed to show that much, on a prime time show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 3, 2014 5:09 pm  #17

Ah they couldn't show moriarty blowing his head apart on bbc?....

March 3, 2014 5:32 pm  #18

So this is nothing to do with a theory about moriartys suicide? 

March 3, 2014 5:38 pm  #19

Urgh! But why didn't sherlock check the body.....

March 3, 2014 6:05 pm  #20

anniea wrote:

Urgh! But why didn't sherlock check the body.....

Well, we don't know that he didn't. He certainly had other things to worry about, including not getting arrested for Moriaty's murder, and the snipers with guns on three people he cared for.

But I really don't believe that Moriarty is alive...

Board footera