BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2014 9:41 pm  #1

The things that were never said...

If you could choose a scene for series four where two characters sat down, no interruptions and had a 'cards on the table' conversation...who would it be and what would they talk about?

Vatican cameos...The game is on!

February 17, 2014 10:40 pm  #2

Re: The things that were never said...

There would be more than one: 

TEH:
- Well, maybe after all how Sherlock did it 
- And why

HLV
- Why Sherlock wanted John to stay with Mary (because I am not really convinced that we get the true reason for this)
- What happened between the Baker Street scene and Christmas 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 17, 2014 10:41 pm  #3

That's a good question.
I think I'd go for Mycroft and Sherlock - I'd like Sherlock to know here he stands with Mycroft and to know that he's watching over him because he cares and not because he doesn't trust him.
I'd like him to understand that Mycroft can't always show this publicly because there are people that would try to get to him by harming his Brother.
I think this would help Sherlock to grow out of the showing off which has sometimes thrown him off balance in his cases - that need to outsmart/impress his Brother.
Plus I think it would help him to know that he matters to his Brother,

I haven't chosen a conversation between Sherlock and John because at this stage I wouldn't know where to begin with them!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 18, 2014 2:17 am  #4

Tinks wrote:

That's a good question.
I think I'd go for Mycroft and Sherlock - I'd like Sherlock to know here he stands with Mycroft and to know that he's watching over him because he cares and not because he doesn't trust him.
I'd like him to understand that Mycroft can't always show this publicly because there are people that would try to get to him by harming his Brother.
I think this would help Sherlock to grow out of the showing off which has sometimes thrown him off balance in his cases - that need to outsmart/impress his Brother.

I haven't chosen a conversation between Sherlock and John because at this stage I wouldn't know where to begin with them!

I think a lot of Sherlock's issues come from either comparing himself to Mycroft or the way Mycroft directs him.

February 18, 2014 6:19 am  #5

SusiGo wrote:

HLV
- Why Sherlock wanted John to stay with Mary (because I am not really convinced that we get the true reason for this)
- What happened between the Baker Street scene and Christmas

And also: What happened between Leinster Gardens and 221B...? Total silence? Did anyone say anything on the way to 221B?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 18, 2014 8:32 am  #6

That's good one, too. That is what I keep asking myself especially when watching the scene at the airfield. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 18, 2014 4:26 pm  #7

Tinks wrote:

That's a good question.

I agree! It's impossible to know where to begin with Sherlock and John, but I think just watching their relationship grow and the obvious love for each other (platonic or not) is enough...for now  his best man speach nearly killed me though.

Vatican cameos...The game is on!

February 18, 2014 8:57 pm  #8

SusiGo wrote:

That's good one, too. That is what I keep asking myself especially when watching the scene at the airfield. 

...and if Mycroft knew, I would like to know what he said to Mary while John and Sherlock were saying goodbye.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 18, 2014 9:10 pm  #9

And what he was thinking about her past and recent actions. 

February 18, 2014 9:11 pm  #10

SusiGo wrote:

Ah yes, we had that, Susi, hadn't we?
Can't believe that,Sherlock really trusts Mary (would he do a mistake twice?) and had he asked Mycroft to keep an eye on John?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 18, 2014 9:15 pm  #11

Neither can I. Not after what she did to his brother and to John. 

February 19, 2014 10:41 am  #12

Girl Power: Irene Adler and Molly Cooper on topic of: Sherlock

Since they are the only female characters that (a) show some sort of genuine interest in Sherlock and (b) are willing to put up with his antics (for a time).

February 19, 2014 11:16 am  #13

Swanpride wrote:

The only thing I would like to know is if Mycroft knows about Mary, and if he does, when he knew.

What if Mary was Mycroft's "wether eye" that he kept on John during the hiatus?
Do you believe in the coincidence that Mary just accidentally turned up and just was "the best thing that could possibly happen" to John?

February 19, 2014 11:53 am  #14

Be wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

The only thing I would like to know is if Mycroft knows about Mary, and if he does, when he knew.

What if Mary was Mycroft's "wether eye" that he kept on John during the hiatus?
Do you believe in the coincidence that Mary just accidentally turned up and just was "the best thing that could possibly happen" to John?

All kinds of unbelievable coincidences happen throughout the series.. I wouldn´t count on Moftiss not daring to present us with something like this to swallow. (And I´m mostly happy to accept this kind of parallel universe for entertainment reasons, although there are things that bug me.. funny enough this wouldn´t be one of them).

Thinking about what I´d want to be clarified I can´t come up with anything, I guess I prefer the vagueness..

February 19, 2014 12:06 pm  #15

When I watch series 3 I always feel as if Sherlock accidentally set foot into a parallel universe after his return.

February 19, 2014 12:19 pm  #16

I have to admit that I slightly feel the same, Be.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 19, 2014 12:20 pm  #17

Sorry, but I would be really pissed if Mycroft hat sent Mary to look after John. I cannot for the life of me see him choosing a killer to look after his brother's best friend (and then nearly killing Sherlock instead). The interesting thing, though, is that we never see any interaction between Mary and Mycroft until they meet at the airfield. I wonder if they have ever talked to each other. Even at the Holmeses' house they stay in separate rooms. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 19, 2014 12:21 pm)

February 19, 2014 12:20 pm  #18

I feel that Mycroft MUST have known about Mary the whole time. He knows everything, after all.

February 19, 2014 12:23 pm  #19

They didn't give us even the slightest hint as to the nature of the relationship between Mycroft and Mary - if there happens to be one at all. So I guess almost anything is possible in that area... 

February 19, 2014 12:25 pm  #20

But this does not mean that he chose her to approach John. Or that he constantly kept an eye on John. He says that John has moved out of the flat and has gone on with his life, that is all. I am not sure that Mycroft really knows everything. After all he only comes to the flat with Anderson after John has phoned him about the drugs incident. 

Board footera