BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2014 2:19 pm  #101

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

rereadeing "In Praise of Love" by Alain Badiou / Nicolas Truong (interview/essay).

February 9, 2014 2:26 pm  #102

Just starting 12 Years A Slave.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 9, 2014 3:00 pm  #103

My pal gave me it to read.
I'm reading something else at the moment and have a couple of others books waiting, before I get to it...
I can't say I'm rushing, the film was harrowing enough!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 14, 2014 10:33 pm  #104

I just started A Study in Scarlet.
My copy of  The Complete Sherlock Holmes arrived today and I'm very excited since I've only read The Hounds of the Baskervilles, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and one or two other stories so far. I'd wanted to read the rest since I started watching Sherlock, but I wanted to read the stories in English and couldn't find the original in any library, so I had to wait until I had the chance to buy them all. I'm now a happy owner of the whole canon - now I finally feel like a proper Sherlockian. ;)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 15, 2014 1:12 am  #105

Have been delaying starting 12 Years A Slave because I am finishing Coriolanus. What a cheerful choice that is! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 17, 2014 11:13 pm  #106

STANLEY KUBRICK - A BIOGRAPHY by John Baxter. Fascinating stuff. Love Kubrick's films and it's nice to learn new things that explains why his movies were so near perfection and how he was a perfectionist himself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

February 17, 2014 11:15 pm  #107

I started The Sign of the Four today.

February 19, 2014 7:56 pm  #108

The Memoires of Sherlock Holmes

February 19, 2014 8:58 pm  #109

Davina wrote:

Just starting 12 Years A Slave.

Don't know if you get it but apparently radio 4 have 12 years as their book of the week this week.

Just finished the sign of four and about to start the next Holmes classic 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

February 20, 2014 11:58 pm  #110

I thought I'd catch it on I-player. It sounds very promising.

February 21, 2014 7:30 am  #111

I am reading "The Lost City of Z" which is really fascinating. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 21, 2014 9:13 am  #112

SusiGo wrote:

Is it a biography/non fiction book, Susi?
I might have a read of that, if so.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 21, 2014 9:56 pm  #113

I've just finished the Hannibal series written by Thomas Harris, and now starting to read Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. Serial killers all over, can't help it. x)

Feelings are chemistry, they disappear.

February 22, 2014 10:03 am  #114

Just reading the autobiography of Pu Yi, last chinese emperor. Quite interesting, but for an average european reader the chinese and japanese names are killing!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 22, 2014 12:12 pm  #115

Sigwyn wrote:

I've just finished the Hannibal series written by Thomas Harris, and now starting to read Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. Serial killers all over, can't help it. x)

Is that the same Dexter as the TV series?  I'd be interested to read those as so often I find the book better than the adaptation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

February 22, 2014 12:26 pm  #116

Sigwyn wrote:

I love serial killer books, I must confess.  And Silence of the Lambs is one of the greats!

Just got a copy of Stewart, a Life Backwards.  About to start it.

Question.  Reading the book cover I noticed that the writer was born in New York.  Did Benedict play him as American in the movie?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 22, 2014 12:33 pm  #117

Biggles86 wrote:

Sigwyn wrote:

Is that the same Dexter as the TV series? I'd be interested to read those as so often I find the book better than the adaptation

Yes it is! I think it is called "darkly dreaming dexter", that title is mentioned in the lead text.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 22, 2014 12:39 pm  #118

Tinks wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Is it a biography/non fiction book, Susi?
I might have a read of that, if so.

It is a non-fiction book about Amazon explorer Percy Fawcett who disappeared in 1925 while searching for a mythical city in the rain forest. Well written and exciting. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 22, 2014 1:37 pm  #119

And soon to be played by Benedict!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 22, 2014 2:10 pm  #120

Thanks Susi and besleybean, I'm going to add that to my "to be read" pile!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

Board footera