BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2014 8:43 pm  #21

Re: Inseparable (short film, 2007)

TeaTime wrote:

I didn't undstarnd this one.  I mean don't get me wrong, I was wonderfully done and acted as always.  But what was the point of switching with his twin if his wife knew right away?  Wasn't he trying to spare her the saddness of losing him?  And if he failed wouldn't she want to go find him and be with him for as long as he had left?  Maybe if there'd been a hair more dialogue...  

But it did get me thinking.  Benedict seems to have a real talent for playing parts where his character has sibling issues.  Sherlock, Third Star, Inseperable, The Last Enemy, Breakers.  It's startling really, becuase I can't think of that many films in general that are about sibling interactions.  Does he have any siblings in real life?

Also can anyone name a film where he does not weep?  I mean he's really good at it and all (I have no idea how actors cry on queue, I could never do it), but does he have any work that was light hearted?  My heart is starting hurt.  

I believe that what he did was for his child more than his wife.  At least that's the way I saw it.

Ben has an older half-sister on his mother's side.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 3, 2014 8:31 pm  #22

Found this by accident and was surprised how something filmed in such  an unassuming way could have such an impact.  The scene when BC is in the car crying really sealed the deal that this guy is an unbelievable actor.  To portray that much emotion in so short a time, he can do anything.

I just assumed his wife instantly knew what had happened because she knows her husband and even with his twin in front of her she would still know he wasn't hers. 

Twin Benedict Cumberbatch's....now there's a thought!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

February 16, 2014 10:59 am  #23

I just got to watch this and despite the tear I am shedding I loved it!

Few words but so much meaning... This man is so, so talented! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 16, 2014 11:08 am  #24

The breakdown scene in the car gets me every time. So beautifully intense. I sent a link to the film to a good friend of mine yesterday, and even though she's not a huge Benedict fan, she was amazed by it and said she cried at the end. The film is so clever, and a true gem.

February 16, 2014 10:46 pm  #25

Fancy some screencaps I made? Quality isn't super great, but it'll have to do.

February 17, 2014 7:34 am  #26

Aaaw you screen capped the whole thing! It feels like watching it all over again!

He's so handsome in this; as both of the brothers... Aw, I'm getting all emotional again now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 17, 2014 4:01 pm  #27

*gross sobbing*

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 17, 2014 4:49 pm  #28

I teared up just looking at the screen caps. 

February 17, 2014 5:44 pm  #29

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Aaaw you screen capped the whole thing!

Yeah, I guess I did. The perks of batch processing. Glad you liked it. And now I have a craving to make the car crying scene into a gif. :-\

EDIT: And then I did... (it's rather large in file size)

Last edited by TeeJay (February 17, 2014 6:14 pm)

February 17, 2014 6:42 pm  #30

Awww…  lovely!    (although can I just say that the actress' face at the ending realization scene was amazing, too?)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 17, 2014 6:43 pm  #31

Yes, most definitely. Great work all around on this one.

March 21, 2014 6:44 pm  #32

This was so sad.
But brilliantly acted/written/directed.

May 11, 2014 6:08 pm  #33

Short but wotrh watching. The scene when Joe was crying in the car proved once again how wonderful actor Benedict is. The realization scene got me, too. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 11, 2014 6:10 pm  #34

I just cannot praise this film enough and would love to see it made into a full version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 11, 2014 11:03 pm  #35

So much emotion and barely any dialogue.  Amazing work.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 12, 2014 7:51 pm  #36

Marta wrote:

Short but wotrh watching. The scene when Joe was crying in the car proved once again how wonderful actor Benedict is. The realization scene got me, too. 

My thoughts exactly.  It's so rare so see actors cry with real emotion and this is just complete sobbing, so moving and completely captivating.  Amazing actor

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

September 1, 2014 3:13 pm  #37

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 1, 2014 3:50 pm  #38

Woohoo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 1, 2014 3:56 pm  #39

Very well deserved!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

September 1, 2014 3:57 pm  #40

Yep, brilliant film.

Board footera