BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2012 5:03 am  #21

Re: Scenes Cut From U.S. Broadcast

One part that I wish they had left in even more than the others was "My friends were wrong. You're a great boyfriend, and Sherlock Holmes is a very lucky man." That bit was priceless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 3, 2012 1:18 pm  #22

Just watched the PBS version again last night, and read a transcript by Ariane DeVere, quite complete.  This thread mentions the breakup with Jeanette, but I think the most interesting and important thing PBS viewers missed was the danger night business.  Mycroft may have offered Sherlock the cig in a gesture of comfort (that's what I saw) but he was multi-tasking, as always- it was a test of Sherlock's state of mind.  Then the call to John, he and Mrs. Hudson searching the flat... Implies an established working relationship, they are all monitoring Sherlock now when needs be.  And Sherlock knows it, based on his sock index comment.  (hysterical, btw.  How many kinds of black socks are there?  Sorry, I'm not schooled in men's fashion, there are probably LOTS.)

Anyway, all this means is that I must get the DVD, and very soon.....     

June 5, 2012 3:10 pm  #23

Not to go all political here but as an American I'm saddened by the anti GLBT, anti woman, anti ethnic, anti worker agenda being pushed by extremist cockroaches emerging from the woodwork. Hopefully most of us will defeat this stupidity.

This American wishes to see the entire uncut, unedited version of each show as the Moffitt and Gatiss intended. J don't care if I do not fully get the UK refernces or not I'm off to amazon to order Season 2. No more PBS videos for me Thanks for the head's up!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 8, 2012 8:49 pm  #24

Be careful if you're ordering off Amazon. I just received both series DVD's from Amazon and they are the hacked-up Masterpiece version I don't remember that being made clear when I ordered them.  I definitely wanted the uncut BBC versions.  Could anyone tell me where I can them?  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 8, 2012 8:58 pm  #25

Well I (being in UK) brought mine off amazon.co.uk and it was fine. 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 8, 2012 9:01 pm  #26

Just had a look on your US Amazon and it definitely isn't clear whether they are the uncut 90 minute versions or the cut Masterpeice versions. Maybe check on the BBCwebsite to see if they give guidance?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2012 6:43 am  #27

Now I am quite hesitant to get mine from Amazon too. I so wanted the DVDs...

June 19, 2012 7:54 am  #28

If you order from the PBS website,   it appears to explicitly mention that the DVDs are the unedited U.K. versions:

http://www.shoppbs.org/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3529705

June 19, 2012 2:38 pm  #29

The dvd's being sold in the stores in USA  are the Masterpiece   uncut versions.  PBS  did indeed cut scenes out when they aired on the telly; that's normal  but we fans don't like that, do we? 

For North America,  they are being sold with the Masterpiece logo on them because that is who bought the series from the UK.  but they ARE  the uncut versions that The UK  did. I know this because I checked the subtitles online before I bought them,  and I rented them from Netflix  first,  too.  (for season 1  at least)   So,  every  scene is  in there, for both seasons 1 and 2. .  I  don't think it matters where you buy them. I  got mine at costco,  for 19 dollars each.    I  have the masterpiece dvd's and they are MARVELOUS.  I  hope this helps  and encourages you to get them.  I suggest renting them from your local video store before you buy them,  then you can see for yourself.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 19, 2012 2:41 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 19, 2012 4:39 pm  #30

It's very clear that Season 2 of the US Amazon DVDs is the uncut version.  I was nervous when I bought both seasons from Amazon but when I played the second season DVDs, I recognized immediately the scenes from Scandal, Hounds, and TRF that had been cut from when PBS broadcast them.  (Yes, yes, how do you see a negative?  I trust you all know what I mean.  )  On the other hand, I still have no idea which were the scenes cut from the first season episodes but that's because I've been watching the uncut versions so much I don't remember the other ones.  Bottom line: DVDs bought from the US Amazon site are the full, uncut versions as broadcast by the BBC, not the shorter versions broadcast by PBS.

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 19, 2012 4:40 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 19, 2012 11:16 pm  #31

I am disappointed that the PBS versions were cut, but do feel I have to jump in here and defend American TV a bit. PBS is a terrific organization and not only brings us Britcoms and British mysteries, but produces lots of fabulous shows on its own. As for commercial TV, we also have some very high quality programs. Mad Men is a perfect example. And, of course, Gilligan's Island.

June 20, 2012 5:10 am  #32

I would agree that there are some fantastic American made programmes. Many of the comedy programmes from the US outclass the ones produced here, with one or two exceptions, by a mile. The are also some very well-made, in every respect, dramas. There is also a lot of utter rubbish (being polite) made too both sides of 'The Pond'.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 20, 2012 7:46 pm  #33

Some of the corniest stuff from the UK sounds much cleverer to (some of) us Americans, just because it's in a British accent. Example: Are You Being Served?

June 20, 2012 8:43 pm  #34

I just want to jump in here to say that in my opinion when it comes to theatrical production no one does it better than the Brits.  From Shakespeare on up they are the masters!  And no one, I tell you no one, surpasses the Brits for men and boy choirs.  Just listen to anything by the Choir of King's College, Cambridge.  They are sheer perfection.

June 21, 2012 2:54 pm  #35

kazza474 wrote:

The Ashtray scene - I think Americans (as a whole, certainly there will be exceptions) may not appreciate the humour behind 'nicking' something from the Palace. The Palace would not hold the same significance for them as it does for people who have grown up in a Commonwealth country.

Asking for a lighter & leaving out the deduction that the 'Employer' smoked - again, they would not see it in the same light as we would (The Sovereign smokes? OMG!) Certainly that is a scandal to 'us'; I doubt similar would raise a ripple in the US.

The 'sex' mention - There are certainly BIG differences in UK & USA thinking on this topic, so not surprising really. I could go on with this one for ages but i'd wander off topic somewhere lol.

And on it goes with the others.
I can't see those scenes having a huge impact on being left out; rather more so would be that the Americans didn't find those parts as interesting/meaningful.

I think there was always going to be some disregard for the original product by the Americans. It doesn't surprise me that they would take a masterpiece and chop it to fit their frame. Sad though that they believe they have that right. It's not as if ANYTHING made in their country has had such a high quality finish.

I thought the ashtray scene was hilarious, though. I'm an exception, apparently. The palace might not hold the same significance, but most people have seen the inside of the White House and could totally see an American Sherlock stealing something. Not an ashtray, but maybe one of Andrew Jackson's spittoons. (Are they even still there? Ah, well...)

Obama was a smoker when he was elected, so yeah, you're right on that one.

It is PBS, after all. Public broadcast and all that. I read somewhere that it's not as much of a sensitive subject in the UK as it is here. That seemed a bit of a push to me, but after watching an clip of the Graham Norton show I'm more likely to believe it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

June 21, 2012 3:00 pm  #36

Irene Adler wrote:

What I can't really get through is Spanish TV. That's bad quality, believe me. America's worst show would be better than any of the Spanish TV shows.

Jersey Shore. -Cough, cough-

I didn't know; I saw.

June 22, 2012 7:53 pm  #37

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

I thought the ashtray scene was hilarious, though. I'm an exception, apparently. The palace might not hold the same significance, but most people have seen the inside of the White House and could totally see an American Sherlock stealing something. Not an ashtray, but maybe one of Andrew Jackson's spittoons. (Are they even still there? Ah, well...)

You're not an exception Smoggy.  Don't tell anyone, but I stole a carpet thread from the White House.  I was on a tour and I saw it lying there and picked it up as a keepsake ,  The White House is a big deal, but even us Yanks appreciate the grandure and historical significance of Buckingham Palace.  It's awe inspiring - so the ashtray bit had me L'ing OL remembering my own little "nick".

June 22, 2012 7:59 pm  #38

I haven't taken anything from the White House, but I agree that we Americans appreciate the stolen ashtray.

June 22, 2012 8:27 pm  #39

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Asking for a lighter & leaving out the deduction that the 'Employer' smoked - again, they would not see it in the same light as we would (The Sovereign smokes? OMG!) Certainly that is a scandal to 'us'; I doubt similar would raise a ripple in the US.

True, he was a smoker. But if he's still smoking, he's been VERY secretive about it. I remember reading this article a million years ago: http://www.newser.com/story/47541/for-paparazzi-obamas-are-as-hot-as-pitt-jolies.html

The Holy Grail of Obama pics is a photo of the president-elect smoking. Such a photo would "definitely fetch over $100,000," says the chief of one agency dispatching extra snappers to DC.

The phrase "Holy Grail" stuck in my head, which is why I remembered it. I did a quick Google search, but couldn't come up with any non-photoshopped pictures of him smoking, at least not recently. So if he's still lighting up, they've "successfully kept a lot of people in the dark about this little fact." I think the scene translates just fine, and was cut entirely because, funny though it is, it wasn't strictly necessary to the plot.

kazza474 wrote:

I think there was always going to be some disregard for the original product by the Americans. It doesn't surprise me that they would take a masterpiece and chop it to fit their frame. Sad though that they believe they have that right. It's not as if ANYTHING made in their country has had such a high quality finish.

No need to knock "Americans" for having disregard for the masterpiece... after all, the majority of people on this board are American, and it would shock me if we haven't all sought out the missing scenes. TV schedules are quite rigid here; better a slightly abbreviated version of Sherlock than not airing it at all, particularly if the cuts are made by the original makers. I've written to PBS to say that even if their TV schedules are constrained, they ought to use the uncut versions for streaming online. Here's hoping others are requesting the same!

June 22, 2012 9:04 pm  #40

imane nikko wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

True, he was a smoker. But if he's still smoking, he's been VERY secretive about it. I remember reading this article a million years ago: http://www.newser.com/story/47541/for-paparazzi-obamas-are-as-hot-as-pitt-jolies.html

The Holy Grail of Obama pics is a photo of the president-elect smoking. Such a photo would "definitely fetch over $100,000," says the chief of one agency dispatching extra snappers to DC.

The phrase "Holy Grail" stuck in my head, which is why I remembered it. I did a quick Google search, but couldn't come up with any non-photoshopped pictures of him smoking, at least not recently. So if he's still lighting up, they've "successfully kept a lot of people in the dark about this little fact." I think the scene translates just fine, and was cut entirely because, funny though it is, it wasn't strictly necessary to the plot.

kazza474 wrote:

No need to knock "Americans" for having disregard for the masterpiece... after all, the majority of people on this board are American, and it would shock me if we haven't all sought out the missing scenes. TV schedules are quite rigid here; better a slightly abbreviated version of Sherlock than not airing it at all, particularly if the cuts are made by the original makers. I've written to PBS to say that even if their TV schedules are constrained, they ought to use the uncut versions for streaming online. Here's hoping others are requesting the same!

Yes, please don't generalize about Americans.

Board footera