BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2013 11:57 pm  #21

Re: Tv programmes from yesteryear we were fans of...

Black Adder, Monty Python's Flying Circus,

================================================================

August 1, 2013 12:33 am  #22

Hmm.  In no particular order:

The X-Files
Darkwing Duck
Ren & Stimpy
Star Trek: TNG and DS9
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Looney Tunes
Gundam Wing
Ranma 1/2
Full Metal Panic!

So yes, I had a youth mixed with American and Japanese cartoons  I've also never been particularly drawn to anything girly.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 1, 2013 7:37 am  #23

oh yes the Twillight zone!!! I loved this...
I watched X-Files, Stargate and so many more...not so much now!!!!!

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

August 25, 2013 8:57 am  #24

I'm from France but as a child i watched "a lot" of Japanese tv animes :

The Mysterious Cities of Gold
Sherlock Hound
Space Cobra
Captain Harlock
Grendizer
Ai Shite Knight
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Cat's Eye
City Hunter

etc...

And of course many US tv séries :

Magnum, P. I.
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
ALF
The A Team
Battlestar Galactica
The Fall Guy
Growing Pains
Remington Steel
Riptide
The Dukes of Hazzard
Buck Rogers in the 25th Cebtury
Star Trek (the original series)

etc... etc..

August 28, 2013 8:11 pm  #25

When I moved to Germany my first series I saw was ALF.
Didn't understand a word, but it was hillarious.

Also ATeam, Knight rider, He-man, Robocop, Scooby doo, Mila Superstar and the one anime with the football players. lol

Yes, Baywatch, Mord ist ihr Hobby (what was that in english?)
Matlock, god and so many others.

Star Trek every day

August 29, 2013 9:52 am  #26

Maggi13 wrote:

When I moved to Germany my first series I saw was ALF.
Didn't understand a word, but it was hillarious.
Also ATeam, Knight rider, He-man, Robocop, Scooby doo, Mila Superstar and the one anime with the football players. lol
Yes, Baywatch, Mord ist ihr Hobby (what was that in english?)
Matlock, god and so many others.
Star Trek every day   

All of these old American TV shows, things I haven't heard of in years.... decades! lol  Did you guys ever watch Magnum PI? The lovely Tom Selleck in his younger days. Mmmm  He has a new TV series now called Blue Bloods (a cop show, but it's more about the guy's family than about chasing bad guys), and it's a wonderful show. They'll start their 3rd season in a few weeks.

August 29, 2013 3:53 pm  #27

Maggi13 wrote:

Mord ist ihr Hobby (what was that in english?)

Star Trek every day

Murder, She Wrote (=Mord ist ihr Hobby)

And hail to "Star Trek every day"!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 30, 2013 3:44 pm  #28

There are so many children's shows that I used to watch, and some animes, too... apart from that liked some German 'crime' shows, like Alarm für Cobra 11 or Adelheid und ihre Mörder (starring the amazing Evelyn Hamann). I still sometimes watch Tatort with my mum, or Polizeiruf 110. We used to watch All Creatures Great and Small and Little House on the Prairie when I came home from school.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

September 2, 2013 3:09 pm  #29

It's interesting how fandoms have changed in times of social media.

@Lily: my mom used to watch "Adelheid" and my father is a big fan of "Der Doktor und das liebe Vieh" (All Creatures Great and Small) weird German title
And I love "Little house", too. There were so many reruns, I'm sure it still runs somewhere.

We used to watch "The Cosby Show" and "Roseanne"

My all time favourites are "Golden Girls" and MASH. I loved Girlmore Girls, Friends and when I was younger I watched a lot of sitcoms "Who's the boss" or "Full House".

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 2, 2013 6:39 pm  #30

Ivy wrote:

Absolutely.
Nowadays it's almost too easy to get any sort of information about a favourite film/TV show. We are quite spoiled. ;o))

One of my favourites has been 'Robin of Sherwood' with Michael Praed (his 'Little John' (Clive Mantle) played Dr. Frankland in Sherlock's 'The Hounds of Baskerville')

The soundtrack for 'Robin' from Clannad was great. I still have the record in my collection.

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

September 2, 2013 7:38 pm  #31

Ivy wrote:

@Lily: my mom used to watch "Adelheid" and my father is a big fan of "Der Doktor und das liebe Vieh" (All Creatures Great and Small) weird German title
And I love "Little house", too. There were so many reruns, I'm sure it still runs somewhere.
We used to watch "The Cosby Show" and "Roseanne"
My all time favourites are "Golden Girls" and MASH. I loved Girlmore Girls, Friends and when I was younger I watched a lot of sitcoms "Who's the boss" or "Full House".

I always do wonder what foreigners think we Americans get up to in our private lives, after they've watched those silly sit-coms. *hangs head*  Oooohhhh, noooooo....... and these days, it's even worse, with the likes of the Kadashians running around.

September 2, 2013 7:56 pm  #32

Don't worry, ancientsgate. :o) For example, in germany we have our own reality tv shows... fortunately I don't own a tv anymore, so I can't even zap accidently in this utterly rubbish programme. ;o)

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

September 3, 2013 6:37 pm  #33

Ok, don't laugh. As a kid, I was a big fan of Charles in charge and had a huuuuuge crush on Scott Baio.  

I also loved Starsky & Hutch, Chips, Punky brewster, Different strokes, Flipper, Silver Spoons, and a bit later, Parker Lewis can't lose, Heartbreak high and even later, Buffy.

Now it's only Sherlock and Supernatural, there are the only two shows I follow. I started to watch Merlin a couple months ago but never got hooked.

But when I was younger, I was above all a huge fan of animes: Maison Ikkoku, Mysterious cities of Gold, Sherlock Hound, Dr Snuggles, Robot Grendizer, City Hunter, Little Princess, Captain Tsubasa, Saint Seya...

Ah, good old days

(i'm still a huge fan of animes though, hehe)

Just like old times...

September 4, 2013 6:49 am  #34

The Prisoner - Patrick McGoohan
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - Robert Vaughn
The Avengers- Patrick Macnee, Diana Rigg
Monk - Tony Shaloub
The Adventures of Shirley Holmes - Meredith Henderson

September 4, 2013 10:04 am  #35

OK, I don't know how I found this but I've just re-discovered what were probably my favourite series' when I was about 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF0h_ARz2-I - The save-ums
And when I was 6ish... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ52vYHr-hY - bottle top bill and his best friend corky

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

February 14, 2014 11:11 pm  #36

My favourite TV programmes from yesteryear -

(not in order)

Red Dwarf!!!!! (still love it!)
Twin Peaks
Blackadder
Quantum Leap
Star Trek Next Gen and Voyager
um...
heck, my mind has gone blank...I'll consult my Mind Palace and be back if I think of anything else!
Oh gawd! How could I forget!! Xena - Warrior Princess!!!

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (February 14, 2014 11:13 pm)

February 16, 2014 7:52 am  #37

I  watched Magnum PI,  Facts of Life,  Diffrent strokes,  mork and mindy,  three's company,  laverne and shirley, Family Ties... and the shows i mentioned before.   And The Waltons,  Dallas,  Dynasty,  the Colbys,  oh...Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.....too many  shows to mention.   I  did watch a little bit of Quantum Leap. Oh....and when it was shown in reruns,  I  watched FURY, about a big black horse that was befriended by Joey, an orphan.   Oh  and Lassie.  who can forget Timmy and Lassie?   I can't.      

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

February 16, 2014 8:11 am  #38

Magnum PI. Tom Sellick is a legend!

I was thinking the other day about all the Westerns that used to be on. None at all now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 16, 2014 8:24 am  #39

Davina wrote:

I was thinking the other day about all the Westerns that used to be on. None at all now.

What about Hell On Wheels? But other that that, right, I can't come up with a western, too. The last one before Hell On Wheels was Deadwood, an absolute must see!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 17, 2014 10:55 am  #40

I loved Westerns. One of my first memories is how, even though I was tiny, Clint Eastwood was so cool and handsome as Rowdy Yates in Rawhide. The The High Chaparral, Bonanza, The Virginian...

Gunsmoke is actually being repeated on one of the satellite stations at the moment.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera