BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2014 10:11 am  #321

Re: How Mary could have shot Sherlock and everyone forgave her for it

besleybean wrote:

How many men would accept their wife is a killer?

It would be a hard thing to include in your match.com bio, for sure.

Not only a killer, but using a name and identity from a dead person.

February 14, 2014 10:15 am  #322

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

But wasn't she supposed to have gone rogue? As in freelance? If all she did was on the up-and-up, why would she need to go into hiding? ***Why would she need to hide it from John, who is ex-military? Of all people, he would understand, right?***  

Sherlock was totally on the up and up, and yet he faked his own death and went into hiding for 2 years. He thought he had his reasons, and I suppose that Mary had hers. All we can do is speculate at this point... we've got a long time to wait for any answers.

As for men, well, who in hell knows what they want, really?  Mars, Venus, you know.

February 14, 2014 10:25 am  #323

Swanpride wrote:

John said it himself...she wasn't supposed to be that way. He might have subconsciously picked her because of who she really was, but what he thought he wanted was a nice, normal wife and a nice, normal life - he is sometimes a little bit foolish, I know.

I don't understand that whole thing from HLV about how John was so flawed in his choice of friends. If he's like me, well.... call us naive, maybe, but to me, everyone's on the up and up and telling me the truth, until proven otherwise. I don't go around all day every day being suspicious of every single thing my friends and family do and say.  Once I find out that someone is a liar or otherwise untrustworthy, then all bets are off-- I personally believe, once a liar, always a liar (which John needs to deal with, now that he's decided that Mary's past will remain buried in the past). Poor John..... nothing like blaming the victim. His friends are psychopaths...  but I don't get the reasoning that that therefore makes HIM one, for having chosen them, trusted them, trying to support them and be their friend. I wish he'd told Sherlock and Mary to f*** off, that the fact that they're a screwed up mess isn't anything he had anything to do with. "It's what you like."  Baloney.  When he kicked the chair at 221b and bellowed, "Why is everything MY fault?" I rooted for him. Why, indeed.

I don't get this line of thinking that I'm seeing in the fandom about how John is so darned flawed, and as you said, "foolish".  Since when?  I think the man is the f***ing rock of Gibraltar.

Boy, is this thread off topic, Interesting discussion, tho.

February 14, 2014 10:43 am  #324

Ancientsgate @ spot on !
Sherlocks not a psycopath , he is very morally ambiguous but John- keeps him right.
The way Sherlock and Mary ganged up on John was just awful.
Yes John likes a dangerous adrenalin rush and chasing the bad guys, but for John I always thought it was also as much about helping people and just generally being a good guy because he cares.
Like he cares for Sherlock , because he see's the good in him and nurtures that.
There's nothing wrong with John..apart from his bad choice in women.

Last edited by lil (February 14, 2014 10:44 am)

February 14, 2014 11:09 am  #325

I do agree that saying Mary's like she is because John chose her was not the best way of framing it, but he IS addicted to a certain lifestyle: one month away from Sherlock and he's dreaming of the adventures they had and missing them.
But in that scene I truly think a lot of what was going on was in Sherlock's and Mary's faces - Mary had a kind of defiance about her but Sherlock knew what he was saying was hard for John to hear - he looks genuinely hurt for John and by John, but I think making him stop and think, and OK, maybe even turning John's hurt into anger, was the best way he could think of to help him through it.
And when John kicked the chair over, I felt for him, too, and I also want the story resolved without seeing him suffer any more.
But I think on balance, Sherlock remains the one who behaved the most selflessly and who ended up suffering the most.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 14, 2014 11:11 am  #326

lil wrote:

I hope Sherlock would agree, but....  I dunno, in HLV, I thought he was brutal with John, almost as though he thought John was flawed for having decided that Sherlock was worth helping and worth being his friend. I don't get that; it seemed like yet one more example of how season 3 Sherlock seemed to have had a bit of a personality transplant, and I didn't like it one bit. ???

February 14, 2014 11:13 am  #327

Tinks wrote:

......But I think on balance, Sherlock remains the one who behaved the most selflessly and who ended up suffering the most.

Our hero. After all, the show is called Sherlock, not The Adventures of Sherlock and John.

February 14, 2014 11:20 am  #328

ancientsgate wrote:

Tinks wrote:

......But I think on balance, Sherlock remains the one who behaved the most selflessly and who ended up suffering the most.

Our hero. After all, the show is called Sherlock, not The Adventures of Sherlock and John.

This is very true.
(But the big softie in me wants someone to care about the hero )

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 14, 2014 11:36 am  #329

Tinks wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Tinks wrote:

This is very true.

Awww, we all care about him. He's just kind of.... prickly. lol

February 14, 2014 11:58 am  #330

Swanpride wrote:

I wouldn't say that Sherlock and Mary ganged up on him. It's more that they tried to keep him from making rash decisions.

Maybe. I guess the way they acted towards him set my teeth on edge. I personally cannot stand it when someone puts on a concerned face and (for my own good, of course) sidles up to me and proceeds to tell me I'm a worthless, misguided piece of sh**.  Oh, really. And you're my friend, so what does that make you?  Except in John's place, he knows exactly what Sherlock and Mary are made of. His only mistake (if there was one made, and only John can decide if there was or not) was in trusting them to have his best interests at heart.

February 14, 2014 1:13 pm  #331

Tinks wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Tinks wrote:

This is very true.

You are not alone in this; were it not for Mycroft's assertion of unconditional love for his brother,  I would be profoundly disheartened by what this season has to say about Sherlock's chances of receiving love...

February 14, 2014 2:28 pm  #332

ancientsgate wrote:

I don't understand that whole thing from HLV about how John was so flawed in his choice of friends. If he's like me, well.... call us naive, maybe, but to me, everyone's on the up and up and telling me the truth, until proven otherwise. I don't go around all day every day being suspicious of every single thing my friends and family do and say.  Once I find out that someone is a liar or otherwise untrustworthy, then all bets are off-- I personally believe, once a liar, always a liar (which John needs to deal with, now that he's decided that Mary's past will remain buried in the past). Poor John..... nothing like blaming the victim. His friends are psychopaths...  but I don't get the reasoning that that therefore makes HIM one, for having chosen them, trusted them, trying to support them and be their friend. I wish he'd told Sherlock and Mary to f*** off, that the fact that they're a screwed up mess isn't anything he had anything to do with. "It's what you like."  Baloney.  When he kicked the chair at 221b and bellowed, "Why is everything MY fault?" I rooted for him. Why, indeed.

I don't get this line of thinking that I'm seeing in the fandom about how John is so darned flawed, and as you said, "foolish".  Since when?  I think the man is the f***ing rock of Gibraltar. 

I really agree with you there.

Picking Mary because he subconsciously sensed that she was dangerous, calling Mary and him psychopaths, saying he put this upon himself...

What? 

I hated that scene because of it's implications about John's character. I thought the whole scene ruined what I loved about John. He is an exsoldier/doctor who, after his experiences, now has Blood Knight tendencies, and yet, he can still manage to live a normal life if he wished. We are seen he can deal with the mundane unlike Sherlock. That's what makes him different. Now, the show is saying he is just like Sherlock who needs a fix or he will go insane? 

I believe that ruins the point of John's character to me. 

But anyway, let me put my two cents in about Mary shooting Sherlock.

I read a good article about this as well as took what Sherlock said in that episode into account. Mary is a professional killer. Her main instinct, her main reflex, is to shoot. But John, he was there, so she couldn't shoot CAM because that would implicate him. She couldn't kill Sherlock because of his connection with John. Mary knows how dear Sherlock is to John. Like Sherlock said, her sentiment got the better of her. She was calculating and ruthless, shooting Sherlock in an area that would render him unable to speak until she could negotiate his silence about her secret, and knocked out CAM then called for an ambluance.

She had her reasons and I think John did have the right to feel betrayed and mistrusting of her, but like Sherlock said, everything she did was to maintain her secret yet also, to protect John.

February 14, 2014 2:39 pm  #333

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

Now, the show is saying he is just like Sherlock who needs a fix or he will go insane?

But hasn't this been implied since the beginning of A Study in Pink? It's what Mycroft says to him when they meet for the first time: 'You're not haunted by the war. You miss it.' That's why he immideately goes to Baker Street when Sherlock sends him the text, saying it 'could be dangerous'. That's why he brings a gun with him. That's why he so easily bonds with Sherlock. He doesn't necessarily trust him, but he knows that Sherlock can give him the kind of life he craves for.

Apart from that, I don't buy the whole 'Because you chose her' thing. I don't think that John subconsciously sensed that there was something dangerous about Mary, and I still believe that this was Sherlock manipulating John into forgiving Mary because he thought it would be what's best for John.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 14, 2014 2:48 pm  #334

ancientsgate wrote:

lil wrote:

I hope Sherlock would agree, but....  I dunno, in HLV, I thought he was brutal with John, almost as though he thought John was flawed for having decided that Sherlock was worth helping and worth being his friend. I don't get that; it seemed like yet one more example of how season 3 Sherlock seemed to have had a bit of a personality transplant, and I didn't like it one bit. ???

Yup in HLV they all got personality transplants to make Marys extreme personality fit the story.

February 14, 2014 3:10 pm  #335

Lily wrote:

But hasn't this been implied since the beginning of A Study in Pink? It's what Mycroft says to him when they meet for the first time: 'You're not haunted by the war. You miss it.' That's why he immideately goes to Baker Street when Sherlock sends him the text, saying it 'could be dangerous'. That's why he brings a gun with him. That's why he so easily bonds with Sherlock. He doesn't necessarily trust him, but he knows that Sherlock can give him the kind of life he craves for.

I know that, but we also see that despite his "cravings", he doesn't go mad when he doesn't put himself in dangerous situations. Like he said in The Blind Baker, sometimes mudane is good. Even he needs a break. His "fix" isn't as exaggerated like Sherlock's is nor does he turn into a violent psychopath when he doesn't get it. 

That's all I was trying to saying. 

Apart from that, I don't buy the whole 'Because you chose her' thing. I don't think that John subconsciously sensed that there was something dangerous about Mary, and I still believe that this was Sherlock manipulating John into forgiving Mary because he thought it would be what's best for John.

I never really thought of that. You could be right. 

February 14, 2014 4:49 pm  #336

Lily wrote:

But hasn't this been implied [about John being a psychopath just like the rest of them] since the beginning of A Study in Pink? It's what Mycroft says to him when they meet for the first time: 'You're not haunted by the war. You miss it.' That's why he immediately goes to Baker Street when Sherlock sends him the text, saying it 'could be dangerous'. That's why he brings a gun with him. That's why he so easily bonds with Sherlock. He doesn't necessarily trust him, but he knows that Sherlock can give him the kind of life he craves for.

Being an adrenaline junkie doesn't [necessarily] make someone flawed. John has always fought for the right, whether as a physician or as a solider, but especially when he combined the two jobs. I have known nurses and doctors who genuinely are happiest in the middle of a medical crisis. A male RN I know went on to train to be a nurse anesthetist, and while serving in the US Navy, he worked in a non-combat trauma unit in a military hospital, where the patient's lives were held together by cobwebs, and it was his job as part of the surgical team to save them. He loved it, thrived on the work, the adrenaline rush. But does that make him a crazy man? Not in my opinion. In fact, I think he's one of the sanest people I know.

Why wouldn't John have been missing the war when he met Sherlock?  He got mustered out with no job to go to, unable to walk without pain, not enough money to even find a place to live, no friends, his only family his drunk sister who had problems of her own. Why wouldn't he brighten up at the idea of being friend, roommate and assistant to the brilliant Holmes?  What I mean to say is, Mycroft can eat my shorts....  lol

Yes, good point, that all makes sense.

February 14, 2014 4:51 pm  #337

lil wrote:

Yup in HLV they all got personality transplants to make Marys extreme personality fit the story.

Sigh.

February 14, 2014 4:57 pm  #338

ancientsgate wrote:

Yes, good point, that all makes sense.

After all that was what he vowed, to be there for "the three of them".. so maybe he feels that also includes keeping the family together?

February 15, 2014 1:45 pm  #339

ancientsgate wrote:

Tinks wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

This is very true.

Awww, we all care about him. He's just kind of.... prickly. lol

Watching it in the states at the end we have little documentaries called Unlocking Sherlock, I'm sure they've aired over there as well, but Moftiss talk in one about how it's called Sherlock but its really more about John because the stories are frames through his eyes.

Just a thought from the creators. I have no thoughts either way.

And on the whole she's the way because you chose her:

The people  saying he's not blaming John for Mary's actions are correct.

How could John be responsible for things she's done in the past?

Sherlock is saying, in a round about poetic way, you would only choose someone with a little danger in their eyes.

Not that he makes her do things.

If we are giving in to conjecture lets frame it this way:

Perhaps Sherlock is crediting John with reforming her. After all the wild CIA contract killer turned freelance killer is now all domesticated and such. With child even.

She's the way she is because John chose.

Terrible flawed crazy past turned normal productive member of society, so dull in fact is the family life that Johns need for danger and excitement isn't being fulfilled.

He being a steadying force in her life allows her to be those things. Much like he brings balance to the loose canon Sherlock.

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

Board footera