BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2014 3:40 pm  #1

Molly being in Sherlock's Mind Palace

Do you think Molly has been in Sherlock's Mind Palace before, or did her slapping him across the face at Barts put her higher up in his esteem (as strange as that might seem) and that prompted her to now be a part of his Mind Palace?   It just seemed like Molly was totally in charge in his Mind Palace, even more that Mycroft. Or do you think she was simply there because of her medical knowledge (like Anderson)?

Being a Sherlolly fan I like to think that she is getting more and more under his skin. Not necessarially in a romantic way (I wish!) but as close to it as someone like Sherlock is comfortable getting. Each episode I feel he is having more and more respect for her as a person...and moreover...as a woman.

January 21, 2014 3:47 pm  #2

Re: Molly being in Sherlock's Mind Palace

I think she may have been before but not in such an authoratitve (?) way before.

Her slapping him - and him letting her - shows mutual respect and I think he's genuinely fond of her and holds her in high regard. He knew she would set him on the right course. Molly would never do Sherlock wrong, so he knew the slaps in the lab were justified. And he drew on that again  in his mind palace.

I'm clueing for looks

January 21, 2014 3:58 pm  #3

Well actually when Sherlock wishes her to be happy in TEH I found he seemed to be a bit sad about her engagement?

I would appreciate it if they would become a couple :D.

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 21, 2014 4:03 pm  #4

I thought that too. There's something fatherly about him when he talks to Molly, something soothing. Can't put my finger on it but I would say there was a huge crush from her to him (and why wouldn't you), and massive admiration and respect from him to her. And a touch of affection.

I'm clueing for looks

January 27, 2014 2:00 am  #5

zeratul wrote:

Well actually when Sherlock wishes her to be happy in TEH I found he seemed to be a bit sad about her engagement?

I would appreciate it if they would become a couple :D.

yeahh ME TOO!!! I would be so happy!!! I can only see Sherlock with Molly, no other women deserves Sherlock!!! But  this will be difficult because Sherlock doesn't show any special interest in her, but he did in Irene Adler ...we will have to wait and see what happens in the next season.. 

The begining of a great adventure!!!

January 27, 2014 5:09 pm  #6

As much as we Sherlolly fans would love it, I don't think they will ever pair Sherlock with Molly. I don't think it is very realistic either. But Sherlock definitely cares for Molly and I think we will have lots of nice Sherlock/Molly moments. I will be happy with that, as I was happy with all the Mind Palace scenes...and of course, the best kiss ever to be shown on TV (it was even better than Richard Armitage's North and South's finale kiss, and that's saying something!!).

January 27, 2014 7:32 pm  #7

SpiralStaircase wrote:

As much as we Sherlolly fans would love it, I don't think they will ever pair Sherlock with Molly. I don't think it is very realistic either. But Sherlock definitely cares for Molly and I think we will have lots of nice Sherlock/Molly moments. I will be happy with that, as I was happy with all the Mind Palace scenes...and of course, the best kiss ever to be shown on TV (it was even better than Richard Armitage's North and South's finale kiss, and that's saying something!!).

Well, Molly got to slap Sherlock on two separate occasions during the episode; the first time in Bart's and then later in his Mind Palace. I agree that it's unlikely that Mofftiss will ever pair them off, but they were great scenes and she is developing as a character in interesting ways. I also think she is needed as a counter balance to the less than delightful Mary/Janine character arcs; otherwise it would be left to Mrs Hudson alone to carry the flag for sane women

February 3, 2014 2:54 pm  #8

Yes, clearly Molly hold the very highest place in Sherlock's mind. Her rage/concern in seeing how he could destroy his God-given gifts spells out the place she hold for him.
Well played.

February 3, 2014 3:26 pm  #9

It would go against canon to pair Sherlock with anyone but I do like the relationship with Molly - I like the way her love for SH has grown from an unrequited crush to her quietly watching out for him (like when she worried about him having to give a speech at the wedding).
Sherlock realises this now, I think, and plus her medical knowledge was useful to him at that moment; hence her being in the palace.
I'm not ok with her slapping him in that episode though - I think that was disappointing of Moftiss to have her doing that.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 3, 2014 3:52 pm  #10

Her engagement to Tom is off.  That's a bit of news.  And Sherlock did have Tom's name in his mind palace, although not easy to get to.  (I still cannot get over the Earth goes round the Sun thing, even in the Canon.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The suspense is killing me.  I hope it will last.
Twice.

February 3, 2014 6:21 pm  #11

Pimpernel Smith wrote:

Yes, clearly Molly hold the very highest place in Sherlock's mind. Her rage/concern in seeing how he could destroy his God-given gifts spells out the place she hold for him.
Well played.

I don't know that she holds the HIGHEST place in the mind palace.  She was just the right person for the job at the time.  I mean, Anderson was there too!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 3, 2014 6:46 pm  #12

I have an embarrassing confession to make about the mind palace scene
When I first saw it I wondered what on earth Benedict was doing with it: Sherlock showed distress, panic, love, fear, pain - all the things he never wears for everyone to see - and I really thought Benedict had "forgotten" his character.
But. - well, duh! - Sherlock keeps his feelings buried In there along with his memories.
Just brilliantly played

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 3, 2014 7:17 pm  #13

If anyone has the highest place, it's probably Mycroft. He seems to play the superego here. 

@Tinks, well, to be fair he was dying in that scene that was a stretched out moment of just a few seconds/minutes. Surely one is allowed some emotions in that situation. 

February 3, 2014 8:59 pm  #14

silverblaze wrote:

If anyone has the highest place, it's probably Mycroft. He seems to play the superego here. 

@Tinks, well, to be fair he was dying in that scene that was a stretched out moment of just a few seconds/minutes. Surely one is allowed some emotions in that situation. 

Yes  - as I said, I was wrong in my first reaction - it was brilliant acting from Benedict and totally believable that his Mind Palace holds his truest feelings.
Mycroft seems to be the regular feature of the Mind Palace - I liked the way Sherlock feels like a child again in his presence - touching.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 14, 2014 2:58 am  #15

I think it's in his interactions with Molly that we Sherlock changing in a positive way...he is considerably progressively nicer to her as the series progresses. 

And she is increasingly assertive with him, with him acknowledging he deserves some of her smack-downs (verbal and literal).

We don't see this kind of progress in his relationship with John, or, it's uneven: there is anger between the boys in TEH and HLV, with the love-fest in between.

And note who is NOT in the mind-palace at all: John.

February 14, 2014 4:27 am  #16

I am certain that John has a place of honor in Sherlock's mind palace.  

I think John wasn't there while Sherlock was figuring out how to survive the shooting because of the deep emotional attachement Sherlock feels for him.  Sherlock needed to concentrate and John would be upsetting and distracting.

We may not have seen John's face in the mind palace, but it was his love for John that brought Sherlock back from the edge of death.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 14, 2014 7:42 am  #17

I think that Molly 'Slapping some sense into him' in the mind palace had a direct parallel to Molly slapping him at Bart's; Sherlock needed to get back to his senses and that is why Molly in his mind palace did it; I feel.

That entire Mind Palace scene, I am so fond of it! His strong emotions, fear, pain... all of that, it was great to see (also heart breaking! I'm not heartless!) but for a man so locked away from emotions, it was amzing to see him feel even if it was inside his mind, deep inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera