BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2014 9:20 pm  #1

Occupation

What do you do professionally?

I am between jobs at the moment, but I'm trained as a Healthcare Service Secretary and did my practical part of the education at the local hospital's childrens ward. Working with childhood obesity. I was told they were really sad to let me go but since their funds were minimal they couldn't employ me... I would have loved to stay there.

I also have taken classes as a hotel receptionist and took a fast track business degree. 

My plan right now is to hopefully start my training to become a medical secretary which should make job hunting a lot easier. I am currently waiting for the local hospital to open for applications (and other hospitals close to me). If all that goes pearshaped I am also sending applications to become a trained shop assistant in a toy store... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 13, 2014 9:04 am  #2

Re: Occupation

I am a software developer, currently working as a webdeveloper, means programming of web based applications .

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

February 13, 2014 12:03 pm  #3

Clinical Project Manager in clinical research (i.e. clinical studies). I'm currently working on an epilepsy study, but I've worked in overactive bladder, Crohn's disease and systemic lupus erythematosus studies before. May sound kinda exciting, but it's pretty much a desk job where I try to organize that different people speak to each other, and occasionally get out the metaphorical whip to make sure the client companies do the work we pay them to do.

February 13, 2014 12:33 pm  #4

Low-level flacky for the US Federal government.  Only 3 years till retirement.  Bring it on!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 13, 2014 12:40 pm  #5

I'm a psychiatrist. I'm still in training and I rotate through different departments ever so often. I have just finshed a stint in children inpatient service and now I'm back to wroking with adults.

February 13, 2014 12:56 pm  #6

I'm the Coding Education Manager for a large healthcare corporation.  Not many people know what "coding' is but in the US healthcare industry it has to do with turning all the services that healthcare providers perform, plus all the different illnesses and problems that patients have, into numerical codes that are then sent to the patients' insurance companies to get reimbursement for those services.  Codes are also very important for statistical purposes.  There are lots of rules and regulations and documentation requirements that go along with all this.  Big challenge is that in October our current code set is going to change radically to a whole new code set.  Everything I've known for the last 25 years is going to change ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 13, 2014 1:35 pm  #7

We do coding in the NHS as well. It forms basis of how centralised funding is distributed. I know coding department very well since they need to harass me regularly to input diagnosis into the system in a timely manner.

There seem to be a lof of people affilated with health services in one way or another on this forum.

February 13, 2014 2:26 pm  #8

Germany also has medical codes, I think we call them ICT codes. I also know medical coding from our clinical trials, because you have to code all the medical terms reported as an adverse event in a study according to MEDRA terms.

February 13, 2014 2:42 pm  #9

I remember jotting down a lot of diagnosis codes too for the benefit of a study of how many obese children were affected by diabetes and other ilnesses... lots of numbers and letters! 

belis wrote:

There seem to be a lof of people affilated with health services in one way or another on this forum.

Yeah it seems! And cool too! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 13, 2014 3:04 pm  #10

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

belis wrote:

My background is actually more in biology, but my job is definitely health services related.

February 13, 2014 3:35 pm  #11

I have 2 jobs.

My first job is that I'm a Children's Birthday Party Host, at a theme park.

My second job is that I work for hospitality, waiting on staff for functions, proms, weddings etc.

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

February 13, 2014 3:47 pm  #12

rebeccaholmes wrote:

My second job is that I work for hospitality, waiting on staff for functions, proms, weddings etc.

You should have waited on John & Mary's wedding.

February 13, 2014 4:05 pm  #13

I am a writer and literary translator. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 13, 2014 4:07 pm  #14

TeeJay wrote:

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

belis wrote:

My background is actually more in biology, but my job is definitely health services related.

*waves hands*

I know CPR!  Does that count?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 13, 2014 4:12 pm  #15

TeeJay wrote:

You should have waited on John & Mary's wedding.

Ah, if only.

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

February 27, 2014 9:17 pm  #16

My occupation is a highschool student in year 10.
I'm also a self-published writer.
I'm hoping to get a newspaper job this summer which hopefully will open up more opportunities for me becoming an official writer
If you are interested in seeing my writing I have a wattpad page
www.wattpad.com/user/ManyHappyReturns
I write Fanfics and poems mostly

Sherlolly is life and life is Sherlolly 
[img]https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=r5EwEZhiL00prM&tbnid=8c770hER-wfhCM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQkFfctcZgRA&ei=RVEGU_O-N8a9yAHW9YCgBQ&bvm=bv.61725948,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNHVr0C4Uko9jkGgZ3yD4nZnOYypeg&ust=1393009332997604[/img]
"Did you miss me?" 
Yes Moriarty, in fact we did miss you.

"Heroes dont exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them." -sHERlOck 

February 28, 2014 9:26 pm  #17

Full time Tarot Counselor, Web Marketing for the Esoteric Bookstore I work at, and bassist in a Goth/Industrial band. I also do some freelance illustration on occasion, and fancy myself a blossoming writer. :-)

(Yeah, I'm a bit of an odd duck.)

March 1, 2014 1:53 am  #18

Dang, am I the only "blue-collar" of this bunch?
I've completed 2 years college in child-development, creative writing & the liberal arts, but walked away  from that to explore the world of auto-assembly (to let me brain cool-off!) but never returned to that scholarly field, and wound up retiring from assembly work after +20 years with a shattered ankle & various metals for support following 2 surgeries.
(Long story)
 I am now "officially" retired (but ever-so-young in heart & spirit) but seeking some sort of work to help support my habits of living!
I think so many of you are absolutely brilliant as well as astute & quite interesting in character...I'm proud to be numbered among you!

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

March 1, 2014 2:38 pm  #19

I'm studying law and political science (it's my third year, 3 months left before my graduation!!! Yay)
Sometimes when I've some freetime, I write novels. 

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 2, 2014 3:26 am  #20

Wow, Ozymandias, must be a brainiac!
I mean, law by itself is quite involved, detailed & complex & you've added political science to that?!
You write what kind of novels in your spare time?!
*(If I had your studies, I wouldn't HAVE any spare time!)...ha!

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

Board footera