BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 7:01 pm  #1

Series 3 DVD content?

Sorry, I know this post doesn't really fit in here but I didn't know where to put it instead:

Does anyone already has the series 3 DVD? I would like to know if there are any audio comments for any of the episodes. I loved those comments at series 1 and 2 because you could get a good impression on the making and meaning of a scene.

Last edited by stoertebeker (January 20, 2014 7:05 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 21, 2014 8:34 am  #2

Re: Series 3 DVD content?

Don't have an answer to your question, but I just found these gifs from the read-through that's included on the DVD...

(http://enigmaticpenguinofdeath.tumblr.com/post/73998463276/snippets-from-the-sherlock-script-read-through)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 21, 2014 8:39 am  #3

Well I read that it does NOT have the mini episode and NO commented version, but behind the scenes.
Mine will hopefully arrive today.

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 21, 2014 8:45 am  #4

The extras are listed as The Fall-Shooting Sherlock-Fans,Villains & Speculation.

Given Martins and Benedicts shedule between completion and broadcast; and the Moffit and Gatiss christmas output I suppose time for commentary was just not available.

January 21, 2014 10:35 am  #5

It's arrived!!!!!! Time to put up the 'Do Not Disturb' sign.  

January 21, 2014 10:42 am  #6

According to the tracking and tracing mine is already delivered. I gave them the address from work. Now I'm getting impatient. Where in this damned house is it???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 21, 2014 10:44 am  #7

Solar, your Benedict in shorts gif successfully distracted me from everything else I have to do. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 21, 2014 10:45 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2014 11:00 am  #8

Susi, for a second there I was under the impression that you actually wrote "Solar, your Benedict in shorts. Fullstop". Oh yes, he's my Benedict, and even in shorts...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 21, 2014 11:13 am  #9

I am in heaven!!! Got the blu ray and my Sherlocked t-shirt!!!
But I also am in the office. And straight from there I will go to sports. Won't be home before 9:30 pm. AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! And Solar is posting... a pic of Benedict in shorts. Unbelievable!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 21, 2014 11:31 am  #10

I know, unbelievable. I could use my Bluray today, I'll have lots of time tonight. But who gets it first? The girl that won't have time to watch it today anyway. Life just isn't fair.

January 22, 2014 7:00 pm  #11

I think this has been posted somewhere else before, but just for the record: The series 3 Blu-rays (and presumably also the DVDs) only have the three special features that are listed on the cover. There are no commentaries, and the "Many Happy Returns" webisode isn't on there either.

The three special features, in a nutshell, are:

Fans, Villains and Speculation
A featurette on the conception and evolution of series 3 and its characters, featuring interview snippets with the actors (mainly Martin, Benedict and Amanda) and Gatiss and Moffat. Also includes bits on the fandom phenomenon and how hundreds of fans keep turning up on set. Some fans are prominently featured or even interviewed.

Shooting Sherlock
It's not about shooting Sherlock, as in how is the show filmed, it's about actually shooting Sherlock with a gun in His Last Vow. Lots of technical behind-the-scenes things, such as the rig they built to have Benedict fall backwards, the slow-mo shots, another rig they made for the camera that spins in 360° circles, etc. Also has interview snippets interspersed with different people.

The Fall
A featurette about the reveal of how on earth Sherlock survived the fall off of the Bart's hospital roof. They talk about the different versions they showed/filmed, about the canon lore, about the different theories on the internet, and some more technical things on how the different fall scenes were filmed. This also has interview snippets included, mostly Moffat and Gatiss.

I didn't keep time how long exactly the featurettes were, but I'd say about 15 or 20 minutes each. I presume them all put together was what PBS aired after TEH, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by TeeJay (January 22, 2014 7:01 pm)

January 22, 2014 7:09 pm  #12

Thank you TeeJay for the detailed report. I'll get my DVD tomorrow and looking forward to see the behind the scenes stuff  . Pity there are no commentaries, I had hoped for some funny comments on TSoT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 12, 2014 9:28 am  #13

Got mine today already ripped everything into my Hard Drive I had already bought the Special Post-episode features on iTunes so while there are many things that are old news (the way they decided to show Sherlock's death and then his inexplicable appaeance at the cemetary) there are also all sorts of new thingsincluding fan theories in detail as to how it was done and how their shooting the scene in so many ways worked to confound the "spys" (were they actually showing how "it" was done? or were they just using safety precautions for the scene?) I am disappointed they didn't include Many Happy Returns" but  perhaps, if enough of us fans demand it, they'll put it out at a later date.

"I am Lost without my Blogger!"

February 12, 2014 4:33 pm  #14

I was a bit miffed that they didn't include 'Many Happy Returns.' Oh well. I can see it online.

Does anyone know whether there are any secret Easter Eggs on the DVD? I'm always useless at finding them!

February 12, 2014 6:24 pm  #15

Aww, that's a shame they didn't even do a single commentary!  Or at least just throw on the mini-episode?  In such a hurry?  Nice little features though...
And love the gifs solar posted, belatedly seen.  Here, have another adorable moment....   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 12, 2014 9:26 pm  #16

I got mine yesterday!  Even with the horrible weather here.  Thank you Amazon!  Just what this sick cold fangirl needed.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 13, 2014 12:52 am  #17

Just got an email that mine have "shipped"! LOL!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 13, 2014 4:13 am  #18

Me too!   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 13, 2014 5:16 am  #19

I got the same email message,   hooray.    And bonus,  that the price had decreased
since I originally ordered it,  so a bit of savings.

Russell  I really enjoyed the delightful gif,   overdose of cute!      thanks!

February 13, 2014 8:04 am  #20

I got mine last week!

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the content of the DVD and the BluRay? Often there is; which really, really annoy me since I can't afford to invest in any new technology

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera