BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2012 2:49 pm  #41

Re: The Sherlock Holmes Riddle

Is anyone on level 9? I'm really stumped.

June 13, 2012 2:57 am  #42

Rosey wrote:

I imagine you can sit down and rest awhile for the rest of us to catch up. I'm still trying to anagram IFCLALOTONCU (and I used Purple Hell, or whatever it's called--no one word answers) on Level Three.

This is a pretty involved riddle; glad no one's sitting around with a bomb strapped to them waiting for me to solve it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 13, 2012 3:08 am  #43

Tantalus wrote:

Rosey wrote:

I imagine you can sit down and rest awhile for the rest of us to catch up. I'm still trying to anagram IFCLALOTONCU (and I used Purple Hell, or whatever it's called--no one word answers) on Level Three.

This is a pretty involved riddle; glad no one's sitting around with a bomb strapped to them waiting for me to solve it...

Oh good, you have the letters correct.

Try using a Scrabble solver:
http://www.solverscrabble.com/

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 13, 2012 3:17 am  #44

kazza474 wrote:

Tantalus wrote:

Rosey wrote:

Oh good, you have the letters correct.

Try using a Scrabble solver:
http://www.solverscrabble.com/

Got it. Bless you, kazza. I'd come kiss you, but, you know, it's a ways away, and you're watching your football, and, well, I'll just say thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 13, 2012 3:23 am  #45

Tantalus wrote:

Got it. Bless you, kazza. I'd come kiss you, but, you know, it's a ways away, and you're watching your football, and, well, I'll just say thanks.

Wise choice, my victim closet is full.

Oh and Footy is on in a few more hours yet; just taking a break from fanatical online dribble... hehehe.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 13, 2012 10:10 am  #46

Tantalus wrote:

Rosey wrote:

Well I had a team effort from all of my family but they got sort of bored when we couldn't get any further so I'm still struggling along trying to get to 10. If any of you need help in the next few levels just shout because I remember some of them being rather difficult :D

June 14, 2012 10:27 am  #47

I'm stuck on Level 4 now, lol. The clue is..."What is the name of this riddle?" And the name of it is Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Wickham Mermaid....but I really don't see how that helps me...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 14, 2012 10:36 am  #48

I'm trying to remember.
Oh ... what chapter is it? What's it called?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 10:38 am  #49

Rosey wrote:

Well I had a team effort from all of my family but they got sort of bored when we couldn't get any further so I'm still struggling along trying to get to 10. If any of you need help in the next few levels just shout because I remember some of them being rather difficult :D

I'm having a senior moment with Chapter 7. Have the map & found coordinates but haven't got a clue what to do with them.
Tried putting in words as the URL & got one (Gorgon) that said"very very close" but I'm stuck now.
My brain is frazzling, lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 12:59 pm  #50

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I'm stuck on Level 4 now, lol. The clue is..."What is the name of this riddle?" And the name of it is Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Wickham Mermaid....but I really don't see how that helps me...

***possible spoiler***

That's where I'm stuck as well; I assumed the magnifying glass was in the monocle, but no words I tried availed anything. Like you, I couldn't make any connection with the title, other than relating mermaids and spyglasses perhaps, but nothing...

June 14, 2012 9:10 pm  #51

kazza474 wrote:

Rosey wrote:

I'm having a senior moment with Chapter 7. Have the map & found coordinates but haven't got a clue what to do with them.
Tried putting in words as the URL & got one (Gorgon) that said"very very close" but I'm stuck now.
My brain is frazzling, lol.

Google gorgons and I thin kit should give you a clue ;)

June 15, 2012 4:18 am  #52

Got the Level 4 answer (albeit with a little help...). SH, I really don't think the "clue" about the title of the riddle is very helpful. Much more helpful to study the entire page of the riddle book for this one...

Thought the answer for Level 5 was going to be, literally, staring me right in the face, but I was wrong. Haven't done much digging yet...

June 18, 2012 7:17 am  #53

Yeah I'm stuck on Chapter 4 as well. I thought it might have been a play on the title of the chapter but can't find a word that works. Time to head home from work now so I'll have to continue tomorrow!

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out.

Last edited by Wholocked (June 18, 2012 7:25 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 18, 2012 12:15 pm  #54

Clever girl wholocked.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 18, 2012 4:06 pm  #55

Can someone give me a hint on the first one. I'm convinced that the answer is Watson (he's visiting Holmes after all) but I seem to be barking up the wrong tree because anyone who can count can tell you that Watson has six letters. Help?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 18, 2012 4:24 pm  #56

Rosey wrote:

Molly the a reagent is a chemical. You need to look at the pictures and put the words together to make a chemical. I'm not sure where you live but make sure you think of the British name for things 
Sherlock you need to look at the source(right click and there should be an option to view source or inspect element)  and if you need more help after that just let me know and I'll give you another clue.

I have 'police', 'hansom', and 'bonnet'. Are any of those more American than they should be? Policehansombonnet doesn't sound like a chemical to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

June 18, 2012 4:28 pm  #57

what's a hansom, I thought it meant the male version of pretty! 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 18, 2012 4:31 pm  #58

@Molly, it's like the cabs Sherlock Holmes uses to get around in the original canon. The second picture on the second chapter is one.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 19, 2012 2:36 am  #59

Okay - the first one is a more colloquial version of 'police' and goes with the childhood rhyme "What's the colour of a 2 cent piece"
The second word is a more generic name for what you're looking at
And the third word you have right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 19, 2012 2:42 am  #60

I'm stuck on Chapter 5 now. I've found the relevant timetable and I know what day 'tomorrow' is, but the 'fastest' train time doesn't work...

Board footera