BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2014 9:37 am  #1

Interesting article about Sherlock shooting Magnussen

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/02/03/sherlock-license-to-kill/

And much debate going on in the comments below from the casual non-fandom viewers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 11, 2014 7:32 pm  #2

Re: Interesting article about Sherlock shooting Magnussen

Interesting. Personally, I think writers have just about beaten the amoral lead character, who uses the "by any means necessary" rationalization to kill --to death. 

February 11, 2014 8:24 pm  #3

Re: Interesting article about Sherlock shooting Magnussen

I think that is why Moftiss did underline the fact that Sherlock had committed murder, and had his brother, whom we know loves him deeply, pronounce that verdict.

Had they attempted to use the Mary gambit they would have come unstuck; even if heroes don't exist they still have to play by the rules of the game, and those rules never include murder for personal gain. Indeed, in the end we have the stark contrast between Sherlock, who accepts that he must pay the price for his actions, and Mary, who sees nothing wrong in killing a subset of people she defines as being less than human, and therefore are not entitled to the human right to exist.

I expect Moftiss to explore this further in the next season because it really does need to be explored...

Board footera