BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2014 1:40 am  #21

Re: John: Is everyone I've ever met, a psychopath?

Willow wrote:

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I was wondering in that scene why John was shouting AT Sherlock, instead of ripping Mary apart, figuratively or even literally. I always thought John (well, any Watson) had a "hurt Sherlock Holmes and you die" policy.

But I would agree with the premise: there are too many...well, we're throwing the word psychopath around kind of casually...but too many people who have these murderous and violent tendencies (and frankly I'm beginning to think Mycroft is the worst of all.)

I agree that the Baker St scene is one which makes me profoundly uneasy about John, and it is his use of 'psychopath' which colours the rest.

On the other hand, Mycroft has never behaved in a way which suggests that he is murderous or violent. Consider, for example, the plane full of dead passengers in ASIB; a murderous or violent Mycroft could have simply let a plane full of live passengers go down in order to protect the fact that they had broken the code.

He didn't.

No, Mycroft doesn't do violence directly. I was thinking of what he is willing to do in his government work...and the fact that he didn't view CAM as that bad.

And I feel like most of Sherlock's "personal" issues revolve around his relationship with Mycroft.

I didn't get the impression that Mr. and Mrs. Holmes did anything to their younger son to make him the way he was...they actually seem like pretty decent people. Although, presumably, they were involved in deciding Redbeard's fate.

Mycroft makes him feel stupid; gets him involved in especially dangerous (international) cases; coaches him not to care about people; and Sherlock gives the impression of acting under Mycroft's direction a lot of the time.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 9, 2014 1:50 am)

February 9, 2014 9:46 am  #22

It might be that I've got a soft spot for Mycroft but I always feel when he seems to be mistreating Sherlock, that he's actually protecting him - even if he gets it wrong sometimes.
Yes he sends Sherlock off on dangerous cases, but at least in doing this, Mycroft has an element of control over his safety; as soon as Sherlock got captured after his two years away, Mycroft went in personally to get him, for example...if Mycroft didn't give him these dangerous cases, Sherlock would be off finding his own and not have anyone watching his back - or using his alternative method of getting high.
Mycroft teases Sherlock, as big Brothers do, but I believe that Sherlock as a child probably suffered due to his being "different" - I think Mycroft has trained him to be self dependent and alone to protect him from hurt as much as anything; on the surface, the teasing about Redbeard looks cruel, but you can imagine how attached Sherlock would've been to his pet - the same way he is to John - because Redbeard would've given him unconditional love and friendship - like John.
So I can see that Redbeard's death must have had a terrible effect on Sherlock - maybe scaring Mycroft into training his Brother not to get so attached to anyone/anything in future.
And he does it in the way that works best with Sherlock - by teasing him and challenging him.
Sherlock, doesn't get the undercurrent of love - and Mycroft keeps it well hidden, largely, I believe, for Sherlock's safety, but also because that's the way he is.
But the symbolic child- Sherlock in HLV summed it up for me: Sherlock sees himself as a clumsy, silly child in his brother's presence, while Mycroft sees him as the Child he " worries about constantly"

There! That's my case for the defence of Mycroft: D. (Sorry for dragging the thread off topic, though)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 9, 2014 11:05 am  #23

Tinks wrote:

Interesting that this is the only time when Sherlock doesn't autocorrect with the "high functioning sociopath" line.
He just let John take out his frustration and anger on him.

Possibly because it's not "are you two both psychopaths?" but "is everyone I ever met a psychopath?" Everyone is a psychopath in some way, you could say. So that's not necessarily something to worry about.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 9, 2014 11:28 am  #24

Willow wrote:

Tinks wrote:

Interesting that this is the only time when Sherlock doesn't autocorrect with the "high functioning sociopath" line.

He was trying not to die at the time; trust me on this one, you really do have to concentrate

Ha! Yes, you have. Nearly dying from blood loss is a bit distracting, as every cell in your body screams for water and oxygen (also you start to breathe really heavy after losing some amount, but I was rather thankful they did not make that bit too realistic..)

I didn't get the impression that Mr. and Mrs. Holmes did anything to their younger son to make him the way he was...they actually seem like pretty decent people. Although, presumably, they were involved in deciding Redbeard's fate.

Mycroft makes him feel stupid; gets him involved in especially dangerous (international) cases; coaches him not to care about people; and Sherlock gives the impression of acting under Mycroft's direction a lot of the time.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but I was wondering why his mother did not realize the influence Mycroft had on Sherlock, and why she didn´t protect him better? How can it be the boys grew up so isolated anyway?

February 9, 2014 12:24 pm  #25

Zatoichi wrote:

Willow wrote:

Tinks wrote:

He was trying not to die at the time; trust me on this one, you really do have to concentrate

Ha! Yes, you have. Nearly dying from blood loss is a bit distracting, as every cell in your body screams for water and oxygen (also you start to breathe really heavy after losing some amount, but I was rather thankful they did not make that bit too realistic..)

This is getting a bit off-topic, but I was wondering why his mother did not realize the influence Mycroft had on
Sherlock, and why she didn´t protect him better? How can it be the boys grew up so isolated anyway?

Yes, and this is an inconsistency in the series, imo.
Season 1 and 2 played very much to the idea that Mycroft had been almost a Mother and Father to Sherlock.
Yet in season 3, their parents turn out to be "normal" people, and their Mother apparently gave up a good career to bring them up - although it's not unusual for one sibling to spot and understand "differences" in another sibling that parents might have overlooked or chosen not to see, I suppose.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 9, 2014 7:22 pm  #26

I'm far from convinced that Mycroft and Sherlock were deliberately isolated from other children; what isolated them was their extraordinary intelligence. I suppose their parents could have sent them to schools for the gifted, but even then they would still have been outstanding, and children can be cruel to those who do not blend in with the crowd.

Again, thinking of their education, it's important to understand that in traditional boys schools in England there is a yawning chasm between the age groups. Holmes Major and Holmes Minor would not have associated much during school hours, if at all; if they had been at boarding school they would not have associated much outside school hours either. These are conventions which dominate the sort of education people like Mycroft and Sherlock get, so we have to take them into account in looking at the relationship between them...

February 9, 2014 7:28 pm  #27

And I have just realised that I should have explained the Holmes Major and Holmes Minor; in tradional English boys schools the boys are addressed by their surnames, not their first names. Since parents usually send their sons to the same school there has to be a way of differentiating them, and thus Major is used for the older boy and Minor for the younger one.

February 9, 2014 7:40 pm  #28

Hm, I have to rewatch the scene again, but I think Sherlock said something like he thought he was an idiot until they met other children.. it sounded a bit like deliberate isolation to me. I spend so much time on playgrounds that I was wondering what Mummy Holmes did with the boys when they were small, to make Mycroft the only child Sherlock could compare himself to. But maybe this is a different topic..

February 9, 2014 10:17 pm  #29

I have faith in the writers to keep us entertained with multi-layered characters be they as mad as Moriarty, gone somewhat nutters as Anderson, or a bit kooky as Mrs.Hudson.  Mycroft, whom I personally adore, is a brilliant control freak. John is a junkie for danger with Sherlock and Mary as his suppliers.  It seems that Greg Lestrate is the only normal one of the bunch.

Board footera