BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2012 9:20 pm  #1

Benedict Cumberbatch: 'Sherlock can continue past series three'

"It's something I'm not going to give up on," he told TVLine. "I love it too much. It's hard work, but it's so rewarding and such a lovely bunch of people who do it.

"We love our fans and we love what it's created. It's an incredible thing to be part of [and] it doesn't happen that often. Don't worry, it's not going to disappear."

Cumberbatch added that there is "no reason" for Sherlock to end after the upcoming third series, implying that further episodes could be produced.

"We only do three [episodes] at a time, so I think the normal fear of over-stretching the mark and just doing too many [doesn't apply]," he explained.

He continued: "I'd like to see [Sherlock] getting older. We're starting quite young. It's rare to see Holmes and Watson at the beginning of their relationship; we usually join them in their mid-to-late 40s or 50s. I've got a way to go. I mean, I'm only 35."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a387392/benedict-cumberbatch-sherlock-can-continue-past-series-three.html

June 14, 2012 9:47 pm  #2

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch: 'Sherlock can continue past series three'

That's great news. I hope the show will go on for a while, since after LOST went off the air, there's been a gap for a TV show that makes us create our own theories, ponder on every tiny detail and where that little Sherlock that lives inside us all can participate in. The good thing with having only three episodes per year is that the writers can really put their brains and time in it, as they're not forced to work under such tight schedule.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 14, 2012 9:58 pm  #3

IdigN1 wrote:

That's great news. I hope the show will go on for a while, since after LOST went off the air, there's been a gap for a TV show that makes us create our own theories, ponder on every tiny detail and where that little Sherlock that lives inside us all can participate in. The good thing with having only three episodes per year is that the writers can really put their brains and time in it, as they're not forced to work under such tight schedule.

I was a huge LOST fan too. This is the first show since LOST ended that gave me the same energy and passion for the writing and the characters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 14, 2012 10:04 pm  #4

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD......YES YES YES YES!!!! I don't care how many exclamation marks I'm using, this news deserves it!!! THANK YOU BENNY!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 14, 2012 10:09 pm  #5

Careful with those exclamation marks and capital letters, Mr. Holmes. You'll go blind. But yeah, great news indeed. I know I just discovered this show a month ago and I've only seen the episodes once but it's still going to be a hell of a long wait.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 14, 2012 10:10 pm  #6

Also in The Radio Times on-line, but cannot get link to work!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 16, 2012 11:57 am  #7

June 16, 2012 2:41 pm  #8

Yes, Dramagod, even though the wait between seasons is excrutiating, we end up with quality episodes. They couldn't do such a great job if they had to slap things together quickly. I think I heard one of the creators say that basically, each episode is a film.

June 16, 2012 4:05 pm  #9

Great shows like Midsomer Murders and Morse go on for years and years so there is no need for Sherlock to ever, ever end, even after Benedict wins several Oscars, BAFTSs, Emmys, etc, and is the biggest movie star in the world (it will happen. I promise). And Martin will probably pick up the awards in the occasional year  that Benny doesn't win. So we have that to look forward to.

Why are you laughing, of yea of little faith?

Last edited by hepzibah (June 16, 2012 4:06 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 16, 2012 5:09 pm  #10

hepzibah wrote:

Great shows like Midsomer Murders and Morse go on for years and years so there is no need for Sherlock to ever, ever end, even after Benedict wins several Oscars, BAFTSs, Emmys, etc, and is the biggest movie star in the world (it will happen. I promise). And Martin will probably pick up the awards in the occasional year  that Benny doesn't win. So we have that to look forward to.

Why are you laughing, of yea of little faith?

Love, love, love BC as Sherlock, but I don't think Martin gets enough credit.

June 17, 2012 1:46 am  #11

I  LOVE this news,   I'm glad he enjoys it as much as we love to watch him.   There was another  site  cinema something that quoted a similar article,  but I could not get it to load on my computer.   did anyone else see that  one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 17, 2012 4:14 am  #12

behie wrote:

"It's something I'm not going to give up on," he told TVLine. "I love it too much. It's hard work, but it's so rewarding and such a lovely bunch of people who do it. ...He continued: "I'd like to see [Sherlock] getting older. We're starting quite young. It's rare to see Holmes and Watson at the beginning of their relationship; we usually join them in their mid-to-late 40s or 50s. I've got a way to go. I mean, I'm only 35."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a387392/benedict-cumberbatch-sherlock-can-continue-past-series-three.html

SQUEEEEEE! *does the Snoopy dance of joy*

June 17, 2012 4:49 am  #13

Mark Gatiss did say at the start of the year in an interview that they would be happy to keep making Sherlock series for many years to come; in the same format, 3 episodes per series.

I'm trying to find that for you guys.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 17, 2012 5:06 am  #14

I think he said something about it in the extras on the DVD of season 2.

June 18, 2012 3:44 am  #15

veecee wrote:

?.. the wait between seasons is excrutiating...

That was my first thought.  "God, could I STAND this every year?" 

June 18, 2012 9:15 am  #16

Definitely great news! I was thinking of the long wait too, but as long as there is something to look forward to every year...

June 18, 2012 7:31 pm  #17

Yeah Moffat and Gatiss said they would both be happy to continue making Sherlock and I'm pretty sure the word "forever" was used at one point...but they also said that it purely depended on Benedict and Martin, but now Benedict has said he definitely wants to continue doing it then that makes things a lot more positive.

I think the good thing about only doing them once a year or even once every 1 and a half years...is that it gives the actors plenty of time to do other roles too, which means they don't get forever associated with that one role...a lot of actors get nervous about that, which is why they don't like to be regulars in soaps and so on.

July 12, 2012 1:23 am  #18

that's called typecasting--A lot of actors HAVE  gotten typecast, because they only did that ONE  series and did not, or could not, do anything else during that show hiatus.  remember Star Trek  or The Brady Bunch?  Yep-- typecasting.   

I'm very glad that these 2 actors love what they're doing.   Even if I never see  their other works,  I'll always have SHERLOCK  to look fwd to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera