BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2014 9:07 pm  #1

"Neither of us were the first"

Said by Mary. Even she gets Johnlock (somewhat subverted ) makes me wonder how many there have been & indeed if there was a first (even before Sholto).

February 7, 2014 10:05 pm  #2

Re: "Neither of us were the first"

Quite an intriguing line. It could mean that Sherlock is not the first difficult and unsociable man John has met and become friends with. But the fact that Mary equals herself who has a sexual relationship with John and has just married him with Sherlock is indeed telling. 
This is one of many ambiguous lines in the show that may be interpreted in various ways and that make the scripts so interesting and open to discussion.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 7, 2014 10:15 pm  #3

It's also interesting that Sherlock is jealous of Major Sholto, but not jealous of Mary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 7, 2014 10:25 pm  #4

Indeed it is. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 7, 2014 10:32 pm  #5

Well, I think it is obvious that John first broke Sholto's heart and then Sherlock's. Well, probably not first.
His pattern in love issues. Like the saying "Wash me but don't make me wet!"

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 7, 2014 10:49 pm  #6

I don't think he loved Major Sholto as much as he loves Sherlock. One of the reasons Sherlock reacts with jealousy is that John talked about Major Sholto to Mary (instead of talking about Sherlock all the time). But from John's point of view - he probably did that because he didn't want to talk about Major Sholto to Sherlock, because he knew Sherlock would overreact and he wanted to avoid that. He made a mistake unknowingly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 8, 2014 6:15 am  #7

Neither of us were the first to be John's commander? 

Last edited by Zatoichi (February 8, 2014 6:15 am)

February 8, 2014 7:42 am  #8

Or to elaborate a bit further, the first person that John felt a deep respect, loyalty and admiration for a would go to great lenghts to suit them..

February 8, 2014 10:13 am  #9

Zatoichi wrote:

That's one of the conversations in TSO3 that made me laugh at first, but in hindsight it's actually rather sad. "Your previous commander. I meant ex." - "Because previous suggests that I currently have a commander. Which I don’t." Sherlock thinks Major Sholto once had the same place in John's life as Sherlock later had. So if John says he currently doesn't have anyone who means so much to him, that must feel like an indirect rejection to Sherlock. Although John probably didn't even mean it. He took it too lightly.

Last edited by QuiteExtraordinary (February 8, 2014 10:14 am)

February 8, 2014 11:27 am  #10

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

That's one of the conversations in TSO3 that made me laugh at first, but in hindsight it's actually rather sad. "Your previous commander. I meant ex." - "Because previous suggests that I currently have a commander. Which I don’t." Sherlock thinks Major Sholto once had the same place in John's life as Sherlock later had. So if John says he currently doesn't have anyone who means so much to him, that must feel like an indirect rejection to Sherlock. Although John probably didn't even mean it. He took it too lightly.

"Of course you don´t." - Oh yes, this was really sad. And then Sherlock left and could not hear John saying there were two people that turned his life around. 

I think this is exactly why Sherlock is jealous of Sholto but not of Mary. Mary and John share something he never could have and was never interested in (yeah, I KNOW Johnlockers.. ), but the special place major Sholto has in John´s life is exactly the one Sherlock wants for himself.

February 8, 2014 7:04 pm  #11

Harriet wrote:

Well, I think it is obvious that John first broke Sholto's heart and then Sherlock's. Well, probably not first.

How would John have broken Sholto's heart? Just by "leaving him" (by being out of the army and no longer under Sholto's command)?

February 8, 2014 9:14 pm  #12

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

Harriet wrote:

How would John have broken Sholto's heart? Just by "leaving him" (by being out of the army and no longer under Sholto's command)?

And since when has John broken Sherlock's heart?

February 8, 2014 9:51 pm  #13

By making him hopes and then leaving him.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 9, 2014 1:31 am  #14

Harriet wrote:

Nope. That only works if you sign up to a totally sentimental soap opera hinging on two incredibly sentimental characters. Fortunately the writers know sentimental soap opera when they see it, as do the actors, and none of them want to do that sort of show.

I'm deeply grateful for that...

February 9, 2014 1:33 am  #15

Harriet wrote:

Well, what's the "hope" you're referring to?

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 9, 2014 1:33 am)

February 9, 2014 11:24 am  #16

Your point of views, sorry. No need to be rude though, Willow.

February 9, 2014 10:31 pm  #17

I see it in simple terms. Mary is not the first love of John's life. Sherlock is not his first best friend.

May 24, 2014 7:49 pm  #18

Regina Alexandra wrote:

I see it in simple terms. Mary is not the first love of John's life. Sherlock is not his first best friend.

...and John is not the first love of Mary's life. John looks so much like David.

Maybe John's just Mary's type... Which could be quite useful for Mary in case John turned out not to be Baby Watson' s father. On first sight, nobody would notice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 30, 2014 4:18 pm  #19

Regina Alexandra wrote:

Yes, this is how I took it as well.  John is a decent man with deep loyalty to those he admits into his life, whether it be lover or friend.  Of course, Mary and Sherlock, whom John just met in the last few years, would not be his first lover or his first friend.  They simply continue the pattern of loyalty and devotion that makes John such a wonderful character.

July 30, 2014 7:56 pm  #20

Sherlockismyfix wrote:

Regina Alexandra wrote:

Yes, this is how I took it as well.  John is a decent man with deep loyalty to those he admits into his life, whether it be lover or friend.  Of course, Mary and Sherlock, whom John just met in the last few years, would not be his first lover or his first friend.  They simply continue the pattern of loyalty and devotion that makes John such a wonderful character.

I basically agree with this (on the surface); but the sexual innuendo within the line is quite hilarious, and again, there's a certain ambiguity of interpretation that could be made if one really wants to...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera