BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2014 9:24 pm  #1

Sherlock's relationship with John Watson

I'm interested to know your thoughts on why Sherlock is so compassionate towards John? And why do most fanfic writers interperet this into a homosexual relationship? (Nothing against fanfic )

February 5, 2014 10:18 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock's relationship with John Watson

My theory has always been that Sherlock feels deeply grateful that someone like John calls Sherlock his friend - his attachments are always to those who show him any kind of friendship or understanding - or cares about him, so Lestrade, Mrs Hudson, Molly, but most of all John, who accepted him as he is from the start and showed intense loyalty to him, even saving his life.
I'm interested to see if this theory is right; if so, I'd expect him to become closer to his Brother now, too, since he was honest with Sherlock about not wanting to lose him.
I love Sherlock and John's friendship - I don't really know why people think they should be lovers, though - I don't get that vibe from their relationship at all.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 5, 2014 10:30 pm  #3

I think the main reason why people read more into the relationship is not in the words but in the looks and the body language. There are so many pics especially of Sherlock looking at John that are so intense and so different from the way Sherlock looks at everyone else. But there are a lot of excellent observation about this on the Net on this board.
As for the compassion - Sherlock never expected to have a friend like John and, even more important, to be somebody's best friend. He only realises in TSoT how much he means to John. The sad thing is that he realises this at a time when John has found someone equally important with whom he can share his life while Sherlock remains alone. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 5, 2014 10:39 pm  #4

Or, in short, because we have eyes in our head 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 5, 2014 11:15 pm  #5

I think it's because John accepts Sherlock. Maybe it's because John is a Dr and can understand how Sherlock is different (aspergers or sociopath, whichever you believe), so he's more paitent with him. I don't think many people see Sherlock in that way and so when someone is kind to him I think he gets quietly attatched to that person. They do have an undeniable bond. As for the whole Johnlock thing, I think it's a lot about body language and the way they bounce off of each other. Also because they both said that they love each other, so thaaaaat lol xD

February 5, 2014 11:55 pm  #6

SusiGo wrote:

I think the main reason why people read more into the relationship is not in the words but in the looks and the body language. There are so many pics especially of Sherlock looking at John that are so intense and so different from the way Sherlock looks at everyone else. But there are a lot of excellent observation about this on the Net on this board.
As for the compassion - Sherlock never expected to have a friend like John and, even more important, to be somebody's best friend. He only realises in TSoT how much he means to John. The sad thing is that he realises this at a time when John has found someone equally important with whom he can share his life while Sherlock remains alone. 

Fortunately we've all read canon and know it won't last, which ameliorates the sadness 

We forget sometimes how much John owes to Sherlock; I do feel that the occasional re watching of ASiP is in order. John was a disaster area, with his psychosomatic limp and his empty life, and Sherlock rescued him. John in turn was the person who interprets the world to Sherlock, who can learn any language in hours but is not sure what the words mean...

February 6, 2014 1:20 am  #7

John and Sherlock rescued each other.

Last edited by tonnaree (February 6, 2014 1:21 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 6, 2014 3:58 am  #8

SusiGo wrote:

We forget sometimes how much John owes to Sherlock; I do feel that the occasional re watching of ASiP is in order. John was a disaster area, with his psychosomatic limp and his empty life, and Sherlock rescued him. John in turn was the person who interprets the world to Sherlock, who can learn any language in hours but is not sure what the words mean... 

I would say that in this version, John was considerably MORE of a disaster area than Sherlock. Sherlock's work always gave him an interest in life, even if not an interest in other people.

I was thinking about this when Sherlock calls John, "the bravest, kindest and wisest human being" he has ever known. 

Has John really earned this? What are some moments in the series that show it? I guess I don't think of John as particularly "kind" - in this version. He is in many other versions.

And as for "reading more into the relationship" because of body language, in the ACD and Brett versions, Holmes puts his hands on Watson an awful lot, not to mention whispering to him frequently...

February 6, 2014 8:17 am  #9

I have never said that you can read it only in this show. We have an interesting thread about Johnlock in Canon as well. I cannot speak for the Granada series as I am not a fan of that version but I am willing to believe that there is telling body language, too.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 6, 2014 9:47 am  #10

tonnaree wrote:

Totally agree, and I guess that's why I would say that they feel compassionate towards each other. They both were more or less alone when they met in ASiP, and I'd say that both of them should send a very special thank you-present to Mike Stamford at least once a month, because he brought them together.
They complement each other, they need each other and even if John doesn't understand Sherlock at times and is even pissed at him, that never lasts very long.
As for Johnlock: you just have to observe.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 6, 2014 11:23 am  #11

SolarSystem wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Totally agree, and I guess that's why I would say that they feel compassionate towards each other. They both were more or less alone when they met in ASiP, and I'd say that both of them should send a very special thank you-present to Mike Stamford at least once a month, because he brought them together.
They complement each other, they need each other and even if John doesn't understand Sherlock at times and is even pissed at him, that never lasts very long.
As for Johnlock: you just have to observe.

I do agree; the point of my post was to try to bring us back to the origins of the friendship because, in my view, people sometimes forget those origins in the maelstrom of 'how could Sherlock be so cruel to John' sentiments, which seem to me to be unfair and unjust. There is such a great bond between them -the cornerstone of the entire canon- that we mess with it at our peril, not least because Bendict has made it clear that he's uninterested in anything which moves away from that cornerstone.

And since an uninterested Benedict means no Sherlock we would have nothing to observe... 

February 6, 2014 11:59 am  #12

up501610 wrote:

I'm interested to know your thoughts on why Sherlock is so compassionate towards John? And why do most fanfic writers interperet this into a homosexual relationship? (Nothing against fanfic )

Friendship is an ethereal, wonderful thing when it happens, rather like being struck by lightning. For most people, they're lucky to have a best friend maybe once or twice in their lives. Why someone just "clicks" with us, while others don't, is like going on a train ride with the Magical Mystery Tour.

One thing that I've always found attractive is when another person finds ME attractive, not just physically but my personality.  When someone "gets" me, I find that very attractive. And so it could be with Sherlock and John--  John has been a member of the Sherlock fan club almost from the moment they met, and Sherlock has been shown to have been very pleased, not to be told to "piss off" right from the get go--- not only that, but actually being esteemed for being who he was, how he acted, etc--  that would have made John wonderful best friend material.

The Johnlock thing I'll address in another post.  I think that's already been thoroughly vetted in at least one and maybe multiple other threads on the forum, however.

February 6, 2014 12:06 pm  #13

Tinks wrote:

.....I love Sherlock and John's friendship - I don't really know why people think they should be lovers, though - I don't get that vibe from their relationship at all.

That's because you're not looking. You're seeing, but not observing. Think about it, if you're curious. However, if you're happy with just seeing a friendship (after all, that's what Sherlock is all about-- nothing romantic is even implied in the actual show), that's perfectly fine, too. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

February 6, 2014 12:07 pm  #14

Harriet wrote:

Or, in short, because we have eyes in our head

*snerk*  There ya go!

February 6, 2014 12:13 pm  #15

up501610 wrote:

I think the fanfic writers who choose this interpretation do so for multiple reasons. I don't think it could be tied to just one reason. Some will do it because the notion titilates (that's a nice way of saying 'they wanted to write smut'.) Others will do it because they want to explore the good old magic 'if?' Some want to explore a particular aspect of a romantic relationship and feel these characters best match the story they are trying to tell.

They show such compassion to one another because they first and foremost share a great friendship. No matter what else goes with that. They are very different people but they understand each other in a way that few other people do. Most people would kill for that kind of connection in their lives, many of us will never attain it. Such a depth of understanding indicates intimacy (not necessarily romance or sex) and a lot of people just took that notion and ran with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

Board footera