BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2014 8:17 am  #1

Great interview with USA Today

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 30, 2014 8:21 am  #2

Re: Great interview with USA Today

Ooh... have to check this later. It's horrible this morning at the office. Sooo much work!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 30, 2014 12:25 pm  #3

I really enjoyed that one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 30, 2014 1:45 pm  #4

I generally avoid reading too much about him, but that interview is quite nice.
Does anyone know why he's been in the US for so long?
I hope he gets some really big roles soon.
Also I hope he can become a bit more chilled about the press - from what I have read about him, he's not really handling the attention too well, and if he keeps knocking the media, they will go after him - unfortunately sometimes you have to swim WITH the Sharks to avoid being eaten by them :/

Last edited by Tinks (January 30, 2014 1:47 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

January 30, 2014 2:23 pm  #5

I think he might be on holiday and use the stay for promoting Sherlock and business contacts as well. 

What makes you say he keeps knocking the media? He usually is very polite in interviews but I think he does not have to tolerate every silly question. The constant jokes about Cumberbitches and his name are really getting old. I prefer interviews like this or the GQ or Time pieces in which people ask intelligent questions and get new insights. I knew that doing promotion is part of the business but it should not get too shallow. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 30, 2014 2:35 pm  #6

I wasn't having a go at him when I said he was knocking the media - I think he seems very polite and I like the more serious interviews too, because he seems more comfortable and they're more interesting.
What I meant was - he says things about press intrusion sometimes - I've read several comments where he talks about it - and if the media perceive this as him taking a swipe at the press, they could get quite nasty with him - like with certain tabloids who are really keen to make him out to be a spoiled posh boy.
I think that sort of stuff hurts him, despite him saying he brushes it off - so unfortunately I think sometimes you need to be extra careful with what you say.
I feel he just wants to act really so I admire his handling of all the promo stuff.

Last edited by Tinks (January 30, 2014 2:36 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

January 30, 2014 2:58 pm  #7

I see what you mean. Of course they might turn one day against him for saying this but I suppose it is just him being honest. I am also getting the impression that he wants to do his work and if he must do the promo things he will but it is not his favourite pastime to give fifty interviews a day in which he is asked the same questions again and again. 
Therefore I am always glad to read a good interview. And I loved the one he did with Gary Oldman. 

January 30, 2014 3:09 pm  #8

SusiGo wrote:

I see what you mean. Of course they might turn one day against him for saying this but I suppose it is just him being honest. I am also getting the impression that he wants to do his work and if he must do the promo things he will but it is not his favourite pastime to give fifty interviews a day in which he is asked the same questions again and again. 
Therefore I am always glad to read a good interview. And I loved the one he did with Gary Oldman. [img]http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.pn
g[/img]

Gary Oldman is my probably my absolute favourite actor
I'd love to see him and BC in another movie together - or better still, on stage together

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

January 31, 2014 7:32 am  #9

Great interview!
I love that he is doing more British stuff again. I mean for a while I really was bit afraid he would go Hollywood all the way. But now I think that is not going to happen.
Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing him in "Star Trek" and wouldn't mind at all seeing him in other Blockbusters  or other American films in general, I just want him to always stay close to his English roots and never leave the UK completely. Silly, I know...

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

January 31, 2014 8:13 am  #10

Not so silly. I share your opinion. Therefore I was never happy about the Star Wars rumours. 

January 31, 2014 8:36 am  #11

Tinks wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Therefore I am always glad to read a good interview. And I loved the one he did with Gary Oldman. 

I'd love to see him and BC in another movie together - or better still, on stage together

That may happen if Oldman gets the funding for 'Flying Horse'. Oldman to direct; and Oldman, Cumberbatch and Fiennes to star.

January 31, 2014 10:50 am  #12

dartmoordoggers wrote:

Tinks wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

[img]http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.pn[
/img]

That may happen if Oldman gets the funding for
'Flying Horse'. Oldman to direct; and Oldman, Cumberbatch and Fiennes to star.

That would be brilliant - fingers crossed that it happens

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 1, 2014 5:04 pm  #13

Nice interview.

Loved "hyperarticulacy of Sherlock"..

Looking forward to Hamlet!   Would love if it became available like Frankenstein as an NT Live performance or similar.

February 4, 2014 10:14 pm  #14

Yes, great interview!
Thanks for the link!

Board footera