BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2014 5:04 am  #1

why is sherlock atheist in show but theist in canon?

i was just wondering...

January 29, 2014 11:04 am  #2

Re: why is sherlock atheist in show but theist in canon?

I think because in present day, someone with Sherlock's personality would be more likely to be an atheist. In Doyle's time, Christianity was very mainstream, now it's much more of a conscious choice and very unlikely to choose for someone like Sherlock. If you look at public figures that value and promote logic and reason, you'll find atheists and agnostics overrepresented. 

I personally found the shoehorning of religion in canon Holmes pretty poorly done. He tries to use reason to explain his beliefs, but fails miserably IMHO. I don't think Moftiss could pull that off either, and I don't think they'll feel the need, unlike Doyle. 

January 29, 2014 9:29 pm  #3

Yep: 110+ years IMO too.

February 4, 2014 2:31 am  #4

Yes we are all people of our times and culture. We also may change as we age and mortality stares us in the face. Every time I watch this show I have to remember this is a young Sherlock who, like me, may go from atheism to agnosticism to believer as life unfolds.

February 4, 2014 1:25 pm  #5

I think that the for someone like Sherlock who puts reason and science above everything the only logical option is being an atheist (or at least an agnostic). Conan Doyle couldn't make his Sherlock Holmes one because in his time it would have been rejected by the masses. 

Board footera