BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2014 5:42 pm  #81

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

It's a perfectly natural and normal animal response...and good for both bonding and exercise. 
I just dunno if any of that is appropriate to Sherlock, but maybe sexual males cannot see beyond this.
But as I said, I'm prepared to accept the majority decision.

Last edited by besleybean (February 1, 2014 5:42 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 1, 2014 5:45 pm  #82

Yea, but perhaps you are right and I don't want Sherlock to be involved into something smelly and sticky 
Besides of what he does in the kitchen, that is...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 1, 2014 5:49 pm  #83

Obviously people can confuse sex and love...
I don't think Sherlock's ever been in love...or maybe he has but for him that doesn't involve sex.  I dunno...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 1, 2014 6:14 pm  #84

Harriet wrote:

But the more I think about it, the more I like the virgin concept.
Actually, sex is kind of filthy and dirty, isn't it?

Sex is filthy and dirty? Well; only if you do it right. 

Seems to me that many decide on Sherlocks sexuality; or lack of it, and then are very selective in choosing evidence to fit their preconceptions. 

February 1, 2014 6:21 pm  #85

It's really interesting to see the direction the thread has taken. I just wanted to share Benedict's thoghts about Sherlock's sexuality and now we talk about pros and cons of virginity. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 1, 2014 6:48 pm  #86

I love this forum.

February 1, 2014 8:04 pm  #87

dartmoordoggers wrote:

Seems to me that many decide on Sherlocks sexuality; or lack of it, and then are very selective in choosing evidence to fit their preconceptions. 

Everything in the show is extremely ambiguous. But that's the fun of it. How you interpret it is totally up to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 1, 2014 8:45 pm  #88

Exactly.
Some see Johnlock, some don't see it at all. And some others see Sherlock as a virgin. Well.
And of course everyone takes into account first and foremost the 'evidence' that helps to confirm the respective assumption.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 1, 2014 8:46 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 1, 2014 8:47 pm  #89

Which is fine, as long as we are commenting on what is actually said and shown and not what we imagine,.
I mean it's fine to imagine anything, but don't pretend it's being shown in BBC Sherlock.

February 1, 2014 8:58 pm  #90

Well, Mycroft may say that Sherlock still is a virgin, Moriarty might call Sherlock a virgin, but I still don't believe it. It's as simple as that.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 1, 2014 8:59 pm  #91

Agree completely BB. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 1, 2014 9:03 pm  #92

So you both think that there is only one true interpretation to be found for each tv programme?
Which is all independent from the people who watch and perceive it?

Last edited by Harriet (February 1, 2014 9:05 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 1, 2014 9:05 pm  #93

Good question, Harriet. Whatever became of reading between the lines and stuff like that?
One true interpretation. Let me cite Sherlock here: boring.

Btw, "things that are actually being shown" can be perceived very differently by different viewers, just because not everything is shown in a totally straightforward way. If that were the case, I doubt that we would be having so many discussions about the show in this forum.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 1, 2014 9:09 pm)

February 1, 2014 9:06 pm  #94

Not at all.
I think the writers and actors have an intention.
But they know others will itnterpret as they will and the writers/actors have no problem with that at all, as long as those interpreting don't descend into  the kind of behaviour that Ian Hallard wrote so eloquently about.

Last edited by besleybean (February 1, 2014 9:08 pm)

February 3, 2014 9:29 pm  #95

SHERL is a high functioning Sociopath who has a "friend" and associate by the name of Watson, who is showing him his humanity...and "teaching" him what IT IS to CARE about another person...Sherlock at one point in his life CARED BUT that object of his love was taken from him (Redbeard)...so, in order for this young child to go on "He stopped himself from caring."  But now along comes John Watson and shows his WHAT IT IS TO BE HUMAN, WHAT IT IS TO CARE, THAT BEING HUMAN IS CARING...so he "learns" from John to CARE for Molly...to FEEL AROUSAL with Irene...TO FEEL COMPASSION for her and to save her...to CARE and UNDERSTAND Mary...SHERLOCK IS MORPHING INTO AN EMPATH!
http://youtu.be/XgnCHPmVcpU

" I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext."

February 3, 2014 9:58 pm  #96

SusiGo wrote:

It's really interesting to see the direction the thread has taken. I just wanted to share Benedict's thoghts about Sherlock's sexuality and now we talk about pros and cons of virginity. 

Never a dull moment Susi!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 3, 2014 9:59 pm  #97

What do people do in the real world?!

February 3, 2014 10:09 pm  #98

Wait..I said NOTHING about virginity...like Spock devoiding oneself of sexual emotions is tantamount to intellectual well being...but no one knows at this point WHAT the reality with Sheryl is...hell he could be a victim of child abuse...it IS NOT IMPORTANT WHAT HIS SEXUALITY IS...get it? Got It? GOOD!

" I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext."

February 4, 2014 12:07 am  #99

If Sherlock is a virgin I'd like to volunteer as tribute.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 4, 2014 1:14 am  #100

SolarSystem wrote:

Well, Mycroft may say that Sherlock still is a virgin, Moriarty might call Sherlock a virgin, but I still don't believe it. It's as simple as that.

But Mycroft is never wrong.  My evidence and I'm sticking to it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera