BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2013 6:56 pm  #161

Re: Technical Help and Questions

Well, I still have. But I wonder if the spell checker function is part of this board, or part of one's own browser?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 9, 2013 7:32 pm  #162

Harriet wrote:

Well, I still have. But I wonder if the spell checker function is part of this board, or part of one's own browser?

I don't think it's me, because I have spellchecker on all the places I leave posts, even facebook, you tube, etc. I have three separate email accounts, and they all have it. Only here did it go away. I presume there's a way of turning it back on, or turning it off for those who want that, and that I accidentally did that back along, but I'm clueless about it now. That's okay, I'll keep looking. And meanwhile, I'm a pretty good speller and I have my computer dictionary to help, so it doesn't matter much. Thx, Harriet.

December 9, 2013 9:31 pm  #163

I see... then hopefully someone else has a better idea ... 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 9, 2013 10:22 pm  #164

It's unlikely to be a forum thing - think about it; while you're composing your post the only 'thing' that has access to those words is your own computer. You haven't submitted it to the forum yet.

I use quick reply and I don't have spell checker. I suspect it's a browser or plugin setting. Can't explain why it's working on your other sites though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 9, 2013 10:25 pm  #165

Maybe the browser doesn't recognize the forum form as a form anymore. Could be helpful to make an internet research...

February 2, 2014 6:42 pm  #166

Spell chx?   I  don't have it in MY box either.    Anyway  I  have a question--  is there any  way to make my  font size  here BIGGER  than  it's appearing right now,   as a permanent fix?   I  can  do  the  font size  thru  this box here,  but I'm  talking about when I log into this forum.  I  recently had my  PC  fixed,  and now the print  for ALL  topics is  smaller than it was before.  thx   for  your help.   I'm  using chrome,  firefox,  and IE   (not at same time tho)     

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

February 4, 2014 10:46 pm  #167

In Chrome you can go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Web Content and change the font size there. But that's for the whole browser not just this site. I don't know of a way to just do it for this site unless there are some accessibility tools in the profile settings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 5, 2014 7:29 pm  #168

How do I delete an image in my signature. I made a banner but tweaked it. Deleted the original from imageshack, uploaded the new version, but can't seem to delete the original X mark from my signature. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

February 5, 2014 7:36 pm  #169

It's in your Profile Menu, go to Avatar & Signature section and that's where you can delete it. 

The Road goes ever on and on...

February 5, 2014 8:13 pm  #170

Deilenn wrote:

It's in your Profile Menu, go to Avatar & Signature section and that's where you can delete it. 

Thanks! I was trying to delete from my avatar and signature section but it didn't seem to want to delete. But I've just re-tried and it has worked this time. I must have been doing something wrong.

March 22, 2014 11:27 am  #171

Hm, I'm sure it's somehow my dumbness but I don't seem to be able to install a proper avatar for some reason. I found the most delightful little picture on web, followed the instructions but it won't show. What am I missing???

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 22, 2014 12:46 pm  #172

The image URL is incomplete. It should end with .PNG and then it will work :-)

Last edited by Wholocked (March 22, 2014 12:46 pm)

April 22, 2014 10:25 pm  #173

Hey guys sorry cos I should know this but I wondered how you post pictures when you are posting because I saw some great picture threads and would like to add some of my own! Thanks!!

"Anderson, don’t talk out loud. You lower the IQ of the whole street.”
 - Sherlock Holmes
"Brainy's the new sexy"  -  Irene Adler
“We solve crimes. I blog about it, he forgets his pants. I wouldn’t hold out to much hope.”  - John Watson
"Is that a British Army Browning L9A1 in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?"  - Jim Moriarty

April 23, 2014 3:43 am  #174

Simple.   Probably been mentioned in this very thread, but here's the quick version again. 
First off, you need to pick a free image hosting website that you like (imageshack, photobucket, picasa, etc) as a place to store the pics you want to post.  Sure, you could link directly to the image you find on someone's site, but there's always the chance they'd move it, plus you're using their site's bandwidth that way. Then just upload all the pics you want to it from your computer (each site has their own way of organizing and upload buttons, but all pretty simple).

Then just type:  [ img ]  http://hereistheurlofmypicture.jpg  [ / img ]  (minus the spaces, just so I could show you how looks)

Then try not to go too crazy with all the pretties.   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 23, 2014 6:22 am  #175

To add to what Russell said, this message board (like most others) uses what is called BBcode. It's a way of formatting things within a message board, and it's basically a simplified version of HTML code.

You can see all the BBcodes here that you can use. Not all of them might work on this message board, but I daresay most of them will.

To use them, either just type them into the message board text box as codes, or you can also use the toolbar above the text box that has all the basic functions like text bolding, italics, underline, smileys, inserting images, links, etc.

Last edited by TeeJay (April 23, 2014 6:24 am)

April 23, 2014 7:09 am  #176

Brilliant! Thanks guys! 

"Anderson, don’t talk out loud. You lower the IQ of the whole street.”
 - Sherlock Holmes
"Brainy's the new sexy"  -  Irene Adler
“We solve crimes. I blog about it, he forgets his pants. I wouldn’t hold out to much hope.”  - John Watson
"Is that a British Army Browning L9A1 in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?"  - Jim Moriarty

April 23, 2014 7:30 am  #177

Hi! Kinda new to the forum.
I subscribed to some topics but I'm supposed to receive an email when it's updated but I never receive any. Is this normal or not?

SH: Can’t handle a broken heart? How very telling.
MH: Don’t be smart.
SH: That takes me back. [adopts creepy child voice]“Don’t be smart Sherlock, I’m the smart one.”
MH [darkly]: I am the smart one.
SH: I used to think I was an idiot
MH: I'm living in a world of goldfish.
SH: I don’t know. No, I thought perhaps you might have found yourself a…goldfish.
MH: Change the subject. Now.

April 23, 2014 8:06 am  #178

2 things that come to my mind:

Is your email correct and still working? (Probably both yes, but things like this happen...)
Are you sure the topics have been updated?

If both yes, it's a case for the Boss.

April 23, 2014 12:19 pm  #179

Have you checked if the e-mails were maybe put into a spam folder? Some e-mail services automatically sort e-mails into a special spam folder even when they're not actually spam.

I have never tried to subscribe to any topics on this forum, so I don't know if the service in general works or not.

Last edited by TeeJay (April 23, 2014 12:20 pm)

April 23, 2014 12:32 pm  #180

It works in general.

Board footera