BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2014 8:28 am  #321

Re: Recently watched movies.

What did you think of them?
I liked both, but loved Wreckers...
I find it a very complex and layered film.
Had to watch it twice to make any kind oif sense of it!

Last edited by besleybean (February 2, 2014 2:28 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 2, 2014 2:20 pm  #322

Since it's February 2nd today, once again I decided to watch one of my favorite comedies of all time, GROUNDHOG DAY starring the great Bill Murray and the cuteness herself, Andie MacDowell. If there's anyone here who's yet to see that film, I highly recommend watching it. It's pure excellence from start to finish.

It's annoying though that every damn year that big rat sees it's shadow. I'm glad Phil tries to take action into his own hands.

Last edited by Dramagod (February 2, 2014 2:21 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

February 2, 2014 2:28 pm  #323

Love that film.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 2, 2014 10:24 pm  #324

Groundhog Day.

Groundhog Day.

Groundhog Day.

Brilliant in every way.,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 3, 2014 12:11 am  #325

Tobolowsky's funniest role as Ned! Ryerson! "Don't tell me you don't remember me cause I sure as heckfire remember you". I learned so many things from this film. One being that the first step is a doozy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

February 3, 2014 8:20 am  #326

Yes! One of the reasons I love it so much is that the message is so strong in it. That blinking alarm clock scene as well...again...and...again! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 3, 2014 9:04 am  #327

Now I finally watched "Shame" and was very impressed. Great acting, Fassbender and Mulligan are wonderful, loved the photography and music. Although there is a certain coldness to whole film it did not leave me cold. Sounds odd but that is the way I feel about it. Will watch it again soon. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 3, 2014 10:19 am  #328

I watched "Shame" a while ago and I have to watch the film again soon, too. There's such a weird atmosphere in that movie, unsettling at times... and there are things I just can't quite put my finger on.
In my opinion Steve McQueen is one of the most promising directors right now, can't wait to see what he'll do next.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 3, 2014 10:19 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 3, 2014 10:44 am  #329

Oh yes, definitely an off-kilter atmosphere. But his life is thrown off-kilter by the arrival of Sissy. I love the scene where Brandon is running through the streets; the music and just following with the camera. Fantastic. That and the subway scene...

Agree. I cannot wait to see his next project!

February 6, 2014 3:24 pm  #330

I watched 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' I think it was called. My mother and I gave up on it last year way before Benedict ever came on screen (not that I knew who he was by then).

I still don't understand the movie. And to be honest I think I spent most of it just waiting for mr. Cumberbatch to return to the screen when he wasn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 9, 2014 6:57 pm  #331

Saw 'Dallas Buyers Club' yesterday at the cinema. What an impressive and touching movie! I am still on the edge of crying by remembering certain scenes. It's brilliantly acted espacially by Matthew Mccounaughey. I hope he'll win the Oscar for that part. He was extraordinary! Same with Jared Leto (he should stick to acting instead of music). I can highly recommend the movie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 9, 2014 7:07 pm  #332

I watched 'Star Trek - Into Darkness' today. I am still recovering! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 11, 2014 9:21 pm  #333

TTSS,  also watched again yesterday. Benedict is very good in it but so is Gary Oldman and Tom Hardy is just wonderful.

I saw The Wolf Of Wall Street on Sunday. Ignoring the sex and drug s and rock and roll etc...Leonardo di Caprio gives a very strong performance (generating sympathy was not an easy thing to do) as do many of the other actors and there are some very funny parts to it but, in my personal opinion...it has pacing issues and at least 1/2 hour of it needed to end up on the cutting room floor. 3 hours and..it felt like it.

February 15, 2014 1:16 am  #334

Probably (definitely) not the ideal choice for St. Valentines Day but a friend & I (both of whom had no dated for tonight- me hubby has escapes to Japan, her fiancé is clueless) decided to watch Hunger by Steve McQueen. We have both seen it before, albeit some time ago. Stunning film and, inevitably...we cried.

February 16, 2014 5:23 pm  #335

I saw "Dallas Buyers Club" and "American Hustle" this weekend and I have to say: wow, both Matthew McConaughey and Christian Bale blew me away, they both were so good...! I can recommend both films as well, and I have to admit that if I had a say in terms of who gets the OSCAR for Male Actor I'd have to say Christian Bale. I also saw "The Wolf of Wall Street" recently, and I know that a lot of people would give the OSCAR to DiCaprio - and he was very good in that movie, but still... I think that both Bale and McConaughey - and also Chiwetel Ejiofor - had a much more difficult job to do, just because their roles weren't as loud and snotty as DiCaprio's.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 17, 2014 2:28 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 16, 2014 11:01 pm  #336

I just watched Dallas Buyers Club.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 17, 2014 10:51 am  #337

What did you think of it Lily? I haven't seen it, yet. Christian Bale's ability to totally transform himself for a role is just mind-boggling.

February 17, 2014 2:30 pm  #338

Davina, but Christian Bale isn't in "Dallas Buyers Club", that's Matthew McConaughey. Bale is in "American Hustle".

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 17, 2014 2:34 pm)

February 17, 2014 5:57 pm  #339

I have yet to go and see Dallas Buyers Club. I like the Wolf... but it is far too long and the second half becomes repetitive: you can see Scorsese just loved doing this movie too much... But I really, really don't understand what is all this hype about the American Hustle. Sure, the actors are good, some scenes are good, but the plot and the characters for me were really disappointing (I had to think about "Sting" and how similar and BETTER movie it is). I found the whole movie mediocre at best, neither true comedy nor a thriller.

February 17, 2014 7:51 pm  #340

@"American Hustle": I didn't find the plot to be disappointing at all. I'm not sure I'd nominate the movie for an OSCAR for best film, but I loved the mood, the twists and turns - I admit that I did not see all of it coming - and I especially loved Bale's character. He actually was pretty close to breaking my heart. At one point I really thought that he would turn out to be the big loser while all the others would get out of it due to much more luck than they'd deserve. Bale portrayed a real tragic hero, at least up to a point, and watching him was a true joy.
Btw, I neither expected a true comedy nor a thriller - and I don't think that a film needs to fit in one genre alone to be a good film.

Board footera