BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2014 8:11 pm  #1

Mycroft's refusal of the invitation

So...why did Mycroft refuse the invitation to the 'evening do'? In the light of HLV does it have extra importance?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 16, 2014 8:27 pm  #2

Re: Mycroft's refusal of the invitation

Being associated with people would make his position vulnerable? Other than that, he's probably not the most sociable person you'd ever meet at a wedding. 

January 16, 2014 8:30 pm  #3

Good question. He seems to lead a very secluded life. Other than Sherlock he has no friends at all and usually spends Christmas at home and not with his parents as we could see in ASiB. And being even more clever than Sherlock I suppose he would not be able to stand being surrounded by goldfish all day.

I a not sure about the connection to HLV apart from the fact that he warns Sherlock about getting involved, something he usually avoids, and then must realise that he is already involved because he loves his brother.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2014 8:44 pm  #4

Mycroft is even more antisocial than his brother. He wouldn't stand being in the middle of a bowl surrounded by mindlessly celebrating goldfish.

January 19, 2014 4:39 am  #5

Also, it set up the scenario where Mycroft only communicates with him as a figment of his imagination, instead of real life.  And it puts the whole focus on Sherlock to solve the crime.

And, perhaps, Mycroft knows about Mary, and perhaps Mary suspects, and he didn't want to be face to face with her.

============================================================
And I'm assuming she scrubbed your floors, by the state of her knees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabbie: You're too modest, Mr. Holmes.
Holmes: I'm really not.

January 21, 2014 7:55 pm  #6

Well, at the end of HLV, Mycroft and Mary are fact to face, so, scratch my previous comment.

============================================================
And I'm assuming she scrubbed your floors, by the state of her knees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabbie: You're too modest, Mr. Holmes.
Holmes: I'm really not.

January 21, 2014 9:03 pm  #7

To me, Mycroft's refusal to the wedding invitation is mainly for plot reasons.
Imagine Sherlock and him being together on the wedding. It would have ended probably with both of them leaving the party early - which would have screwed up the end which left Sherlock behind as the lonely wolf.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 21, 2014 10:03 pm  #8

I think the fact that Sherlock wants him to come to the party shows that, like in The Empty Hearse, Sherlock is a bit worried about his brother being lonely. He seems to think that Mycroft needs more friends, or that Mycroft would be welcome/useful in the circle of Sherlock's friends. Mycroft still pretends not to be interested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 22, 2014 11:14 am  #9

Mycroft would have solved the case.

January 22, 2014 12:55 pm  #10

Well as we learned in the mini episode, Sherlock doesn't like such events, so I think Mycroft also doesn't. Sherlock is just there, because he loves John and he was asked to be his best men (as he also says on the phone). I think Mycroft just didn't like to go there.

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

February 1, 2014 4:22 am  #11

zeratul wrote:

Well as we learned in the mini episode, Sherlock doesn't like such events, so I think Mycroft also doesn't. Sherlock is just there, because he loves John and he was asked to be his best men (as he also says on the phone). I think Mycroft just didn't like to go there.

Exactly. John is important enough to Sherlock to endure this kind of event he doesn't like. Mycroft doesn't feel that way.

I am actually a bit surprised John invited Mycroft. Does he consider Mycroft a friend? That speaks to his closeness to Sherlock.

It goes along with the subtexual theme of a three-way wedding: Sherlock's brother is invited because it's Sherlock's wedding too. 

Actually, I am surprised at how many people John had that he invited, considering that he's previously said he was all alone without Sherlock.

February 1, 2014 9:41 am  #12

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

I think the fact that Sherlock wants him to come to the party shows that, like in The Empty Hearse, Sherlock is a bit worried about his brother being lonely. He seems to think that Mycroft needs more friends, or that Mycroft would be welcome/useful in the circle of Sherlock's friends. Mycroft still pretends not to be interested.

I hadn't thought of it like that - my initial thought was that Sherlock's vulnerability showed.
He doesn't really like being alone and wanted Mycroft to keep him company at the evening reception.
Maybe you're right though,  and Sherlock doesn't want Mycroft to be lonely.

Last edited by Tinks (February 1, 2014 9:42 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

Board footera