BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2014 3:30 pm  #1

How Moriarty Gradually Grew on Me

When I saw the end of The Great Game, and saw Moriarty for the first time, I must confess I hated him. I thought, no way, this idiot isn't Moriarty! It pretty much spoilt the end for me.

BUT

It's amazing how I have gone completely full circle, from hating the character to loving his mischief, his drama, and his style of evil, if that makes sense. Actually, I don't even think he's evil, just a bit bonkers!

Which, of course, is down to Andrew's brilliant acting, and Mark and Stephen's clever, gradual, portrayal of the character.

I suppose, in the show's defence, we did only get a snippet of him in The Great Game. But over series 2 we saw more and more of him. And then, up on Bart's roof - wow - he was so much fun, while still having that disturbing edge of menace.

Great acting in series 3 too, though that was in Sherlock's head. So less about Moriarty as a character, and more applauding Andrew's and the writers' talents.

So I guess what I'm asking, is did anyone else totally hate him in the beginning but love him now?

February 1, 2014 2:00 am  #2

Re: How Moriarty Gradually Grew on Me

I was completly the same way. I saw the RDJ's movie moriarty first so I thought it would be something similar. So when BBC Moriarty comes along I was like "WTF, noooo!". But then the more he spoke and moved around I realized I loved how twisted and bonkers he was. Fabulous acting, I've not seen anyone let go of the fear of looking ridiculous and just try anything as the villian. He's so freaking good at being bad. xD 

Board footera