BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 10:58 am  #21

Re: Rank your favourite Sherlock episodes

I must admit that sometimes, when I try to convert whole school classes, I leave out TBB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2014 11:00 am  #22

Marva wrote:

Though all episodes are great in some way, of course!

I've seen a post on tumblr some days ago, reminding the world of the fact that even the worst Sherlock episode is still better than the best Buffy episode ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2014 11:09 am  #23

Schmiezi wrote:

Marva wrote:

I've seen a post on tumblr some days ago, reminding the world of the fact that even the worst Sherlock episode is still better than the best Buffy episode ...

I would even go so far as to say that the worst Sherlock episode ist still better than most episodes of most tv shows.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 20, 2014 11:10 am  #24

Swanpride wrote:

@Whisky I have come to appreciate the episode more because it is really beautifully shot - but I still have a big problem with the one unbelivable logic leap which leads Sherlock to Soo Lin.

Yep. That makes me go "WTF...?!" over and over again.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 20, 2014 11:15 am  #25

Schmiezi wrote:

Marva wrote:

Oh yes, brilliant!
This whole vampire stuff is so worse...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 21, 2014 10:01 pm  #26

Ooooo, why am I doing this to myself? It's such a hard choice and it really depends on my mood which episode is my favourite. But I'm trying to give it a go: 

1. The Reichenbach Fall
2. His Last Vow
3. A Scandal in Belgravia 
4. The Sign of Three
5. A Study in Pink
6. The Empty Hearse
7. The Great Game
8. The Hounds of Baskerville (I truely love this episode, too, and I'm really sad that I have to put it so far near the end of my list )

9. The Blind Banker (sorry, this has some great scenes, but to me it's by far the "worst" of the 9 episodes, without the slightest hesitation. It's the only one I don't feel like watching over and over again). 

Last edited by LightPurple (January 21, 2014 11:22 pm)

January 21, 2014 10:12 pm  #27

1. A Scandal in Belgravia
2. A Study in Pink
3. The Great Game
4. The Reichenbach Fall
5. The Blind Banker
6. The Hounds of Baskerville

It was hard to put Series One and Series Two episodes in any order as all these episodes I love very, very much.

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (January 21, 2014 10:15 pm)

January 21, 2014 10:20 pm  #28

1. A Scandal In Belgravia (because I love his chemistry with Irene)
2. The Hounds of Baskerville (because I love the setting and mystery of Hounds)
3. A Study in Pink. (because of the introductions of everyone/everything)
4. The Reichenbach Fall (love its intensity)
5. His Last Vow. (love The Mind Palace scene)
6.  The Empty Hearse. (love the Molly/Sherlock scenes)
7. The Sign Of Three (love how fun it is)
8. The Great Game.
9. The Blind Banker.

But there are scenes in lower ranked ones that I still really love. To be honest, I love em all but if I had to choose an order that's what it would be).

January 31, 2014 9:02 am  #29

SolarSystem wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

@Whisky I have come to appreciate the episode more because it is really beautifully shot - but I still have a big problem with the one unbelivable logic leap which leads Sherlock to Soo Lin.

Yep. That makes me go "WTF...?!" over and over again.

For me it is the fact that a smuggler ring trying to get back a stolen treasure chooses to mysteriously warn and kill the possible thiefs at the same day over interrogating them first.. a friendly "look, either you give back what you took within 3 days or we will very mysteriously kill you" (of course written on the wall in code ;p) might have had the banker reconsider the gift to his girlfriend. Or am I missing something here? 

BTT, here is my list so far (I have not seen S3 yet):

1. The Hounds of Baskerville - I love the plot, the atmosphere and the interaction between S and J.. 
2. The Reichenbach Fall - the intensity and Sherlocks expressions 
3. A Study in Pink - how everything started, how S and J clicked immediately
4. A Scandal in Belgravia - Disliked Irene, the plot and the (imo) completely improbable end, loved John being jealous and protective 
5. The Great Game - Good episode without many ups or downs for me, did not quite buy Mariarty first.. came to appreciate him now though
6. The Blind Banker - Too many concerns about this one.. but I agree, still better than most other things on TV

February 1, 2014 1:54 am  #30

Hmm well they're all amazing! One of the only shows that I am in love with just about every single episode.

1. The Reichenbach Fall. (So. Intense. The ending made me cry)
2. A Scandal In Belgravia. (Fantastic chemistry with Irene)
3. The Great Game. (This one felt like a movie)
4. A Study In Pink. (I love how they meet and the "look I've got a blanket!" part)
5. His Last Vow. (Mind palace part is fabulous madness!)
6. The Empty Hearse (The character's reactions when they see he's alive.)
​7. The Sign Of Three ("He's clueing for looks")
8. The Hounds of Baskerville. (Nice creepy atmosphere. Poor John in that cage)
9. The Blind Banker. ("...no-one can compete with my massive intellect!")

February 1, 2014 3:10 am  #31

very tough.   It changes daily!    Here goes:

1.  A Scandal in Belgravia
2.  The Reichenbach Fall
3.  His Last Vow
4.  A Study in Pink
5.  The Empty Hearse
6.  The Great Game
7.  The Blind Banker
8.  The Sign of Three
9.  Hounds of Baskerville

February 6, 2014 1:59 pm  #32

*Bites lip* This is going to be a tough one...

I can't do this, this is too hard!

1: A Scandal in Belgravia
2: His Last Vow
3: The Signs of 3
4: The Reichenbach Fall
5: The Empty Hearse
6: The Hounds of Baskerville
7: A Study in Pink
8: The Great Game
9: The Blind Banker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 8, 2014 9:28 pm  #33

TRF
GG/HLV
ASiB
SoT
TEH
ASiP
THotB
TBB

Does it make sense??

Paraphrased
Sherlock: "Have you kept in touch with John?"
Mycroft: "Oh yes, we meet every Friday for fish and chips!"

March 2, 2014 9:06 am  #34

Hmm.. My list is *really* close together as far as episode preference. It boils down to which one I'd watch more than the others.

1. Reichenbach
2. Great Game
3. Last Vow
4. Scandal
5. Study in Pink
6. Sign of Three
7. Empty Hearse
8. Hounds
9. Blind Banker

March 2, 2014 11:11 am  #35

changes lots,  but here are my favorites today:

1.  Study in Pink
2.  Scandal in Belgravia
3.  Reichenbach Fall
4.  His Last Vow
5.  Hounds of Baskerville
6.  Great Game
7.  Empty Hearse
8.  Blind Banker
9.  Sign of Three

March 2, 2014 11:59 am  #36

1. Study in Pink 
2. Scandal in Belgravia
3. Reichenbach Falls
4. His Last Vow
5. The Hounds of Baskerville
6. The Sign of Three
7. The Empty Hearse
8. The Great Game
9. The Blind Banker (the WORSE, I don't even want to think about it)

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 2, 2014 10:36 pm  #37

1. A Study in Pink - I love every single thing about this episode.
2. The Blind Banker - The Asian stereotypes are awful and offensive but I do like the case for the most part, there are a lot of great character moments, and I love Bertie Carvel.  I wish they'd given him more to do.
4. A Scandal in Belgravia - Not a huge fan to be honest, but the cinematography is the best it's ever been in this episode and it has some of my favorite music cues.  There are a few scenes that are very dear to my heart.
4. The Hounds of Baskerville - There were elements I liked, but Russell Tovey's performance was horrid and the mind palace sequence was unbearable so it's lower than it could have been.
5. The Great Game - Would be my #2 if the resolution had been satisfying.  As it stands, I can't take it seriously knowing that the resolution is a complete joke.  And I've always hated Andrew Scott's performance.
6. The Reichenbach Fall - Couldn't pay me to watch it again.  There's some lovely music though.

Have only watched a few bits from series three, so not ranking them.  Based on what I did see none of them would've placed very highly.

March 14, 2014 3:27 pm  #38

It's very hard to make the list - each episode is different and how you can compare episodes focused on action and episodes focused on relationships? But let's do it I absolutely adore all nine episodes (yes, The Blind Banker, too) but I watch some episodes more often than others and that's the key for my list.

1. The Scandal in Belgravia. Because every second of it is a masterpiece. Because they were able to give us Irene Adler that is not a cliche. Because the phase "I am Sherlocked" is just brilliant. 
2. The Reichenbach Fall. Slightly below TSiB but equally genius. This episode belongs to Jim Moriarty and I shiver every time he does that sound of falling in 221b.
3. His Last Vow. Sherlock's Mind Palace. And I knew there was something weird about Mary!
4. The Hounds of Baskerville. In most cases, I watch the episode and then I read (or read again) the novels and stories there was a reference to, but I remembered the "The Hound of the Baskervilles" very well and getting all the references was really amazing. And the scenery!
5. The Sign of Three. Because it shows Sherlock's feelings for John and his fear he'd lose him. And because it's funny and very sad at the same time.
6. The Empty Hearse. The reactions on Sherlock's return are priceless. However, the answer for "How did he fake it" disappointed me. Still, I laughed so hard for nearly 90 minutes.
7. The Great Game. It's awesome (Solar System!) but TRF is just better.
8. The Study in Pink. I love the final conversation with the cabbie but it took Sherlock ages to solve that crime.
​9. The Blind Banker. There was a lot of funny moments and I'd love to know more about Sherlock at the university. But there weren't any OMG! moments.

Last edited by Marta (March 21, 2014 3:15 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

March 16, 2014 3:36 pm  #39

This is like making a favorite song list; it changes depending on the mood I'm in, and may be completely different tomorrow. I'll try anyway:
1. His Last Vow (Gods, this was intense. I have never laughed, cried, and gasped in shock during a single epsidoe of a tv show before this.)
2. The Reichenbach Fall
3. The Great Game
4. A Scandal in Belgravia
5. The Hounds of Baskerville
6. The Empty Hearse
7. The Sign of Three
8. A Study In Pink
9.The Blind Banker

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"I had a dream of a winter garden
A midnight rendezvous
Silver, blue, and frozen silence