BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2014 2:38 pm  #61

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

Sherlock's not asexual. He just chooses to abstain. He was also deeply infatuated with Irene (as said by both Benedict and Moftiss) and that, coupled with his remarks and behaviour in The Sign of Three seem to suggest that he's straight. That being said, I think Sherlock's sexuality could be fluid. Truly, I think he's mostly sapiosexual.

January 25, 2014 4:22 pm  #62

besleybean wrote:

Oh yes, I have to accept what the writers and actor say, even if I disagree with them!
So let's also remember that Benedict said he believed Sherlock was attracted to Irene...and I disagree with him on that too, but have to accept what he says.
The writers and actors know more about their vision than I do and in the case of the writers, they also know the Canon better.

I totally agree with you on that one. In general, I always find it very interesting to hear what writers, actors, directors have to say about their vision. BUT in the end the crucial thing for me is how it appears to me, and that can mean that I don't perceive certain things like the creators had intended. But that's just what every work of art is about.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 25, 2014 4:28 pm  #63

Certainly happens that way...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 25, 2014 6:45 pm  #64

Many actors create a back story for the characters they help create on stage or screen. Their interpretation of the character's  back story may not, however, always be the same as that of the writer/s.

As for the transgender idea. I have to agree with Besleybean's response.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 25, 2014 6:52 pm  #65

As for the backstory - you are right, Davina. Benedict once said that he asked Moffat for a backstory and did not get one so I suppose he created one of his own. He fills up the gaps the writers leave, not only regarding his sexuality but also other elements of his character. And this in turn influences the way he plays the part. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 25, 2014 8:28 pm  #66

I'll just add one thing I feel have been left out of this discussion namely the difference between sexual attraction and sex drive (libido), because they are not the same thing.
Sexual attraction is what is also covered more or less by the term sexuality, that is straight, gay, bi, pan, ace and so on. This covers who the person is attracted to. Then there is sex drive, this covers how much/often a person wants/needs sex.

I don't know who or what Sherlock is attracted to or even if he is, but if he does feel sexual attraction he doesn't seem to have much of a libido. And that really is the crux of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 25, 2014 8:40 pm  #67

Ormond Sacker wrote:

I'll just add one thing I feel have been left out of this discussion namely the difference between sexual attraction and sex drive (libido), because they are not the same thing.
Sexual attraction is what is also covered more or less by the term sexuality, that is straight, gay, bi, pan, ace and so on. This covers who the person is attracted to. Then there is sex drive, this covers how much/often a person wants/needs sex.

I don't know who or what Sherlock is attracted to or even if he is, but if he does feel sexual attraction he doesn't seem to have much of a libido. And that really is the crux of it.

You mean Sherlock could be a kind of sexual hibernator?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 25, 2014 8:53 pm  #68

tobeornot221b wrote:

Ormond Sacker wrote:

I'm saying that if he was in a relationship he's one of those where the partner would be writing to the agony column "my boy friend don't want me any more, what should I do?". For proof look at what Janine says to him on his sick bed: "I wish that we could have. Just once." See what I mean.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 25, 2014 9:36 pm  #69

Ormond Sacker wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

Ormond Sacker wrote:

I'm saying that if he was in a relationship he's one of those where the partner would be writing to the agony column "my boy friend don't want me any more, what should I do?". For proof look at what Janine says to him on his sick bed: "I wish that we could have. Just once." See what I mean.

No, I don't think Dan Savage would be troubled by missives from Sherlock's partner, should Sherlock ever acquire one. Sherlock didn't have sex with Janine because there is a moral line to be drawn as to what you do to make use of other people, and that is where Sherlock drew it. Mary, on the other hand, presumably felt that knocking Janine unconscious was OK, but not shooting her.

I really don't think that the only reason anyone abstains from having sex with someone is because they have a low libido; it is perfectly possible that Sherlock sublimates his sexual drive into his work...

January 28, 2014 8:09 am  #70

thank u

January 28, 2014 11:46 am  #71

I don't think Sherlock is asexual in the strictest sense of the word. He just finds the associated relationships and feelings bothersome. For whatever reason, they'll probably never explain, though I think Benedict has created a backstory that explains it for him. 

February 1, 2014 1:27 am  #72

Well clearly he has an attraction to women, I mean the phyisical chemistry with Irene was awesome. I don't think he's actually a virgin. It's not like Sherlock is the type to share intimate sexy details with everybody. xD

Last edited by DollPixie (February 1, 2014 1:27 am)

February 1, 2014 8:42 am  #73

I would still have him(!) a virgin.
But I accept I seem to be out voted from all quarters on this one.
Point is, sex is of no interest to him.
We have never seen him in a relationship and nor will we.
I for one am glad.
The whole charm of BBC Sherlock to me.
I'm personally fed up of wall to wall sex in every other show.

Last edited by besleybean (February 1, 2014 4:14 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 1, 2014 12:58 pm  #74

I do think Sherlock is a virgin because Mycroft says that he is in ASiB (echoed later by Irene telling them Moriarty's nickname for him) and, to quote Sherlock in HLV, Mycroft is "never wrong".

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 1, 2014 2:21 pm  #75

besleybean wrote:

I would still have him(!) a virgin.
But I accept I seem to be out voted from all quarters on this one.
Point is, sex is of no interest to him.
We have never seen him in a relationshio and nor will we.
I for one am glad.
The whole charm of BBC Sherlock to me.
I'm personally fed up of wall tio wall sex in every other show.

^I agree with you. 

February 1, 2014 5:26 pm  #76

KeepersPrice wrote:

I do think Sherlock is a virgin because Mycroft says that he is in ASiB (echoed later by Irene telling them Moriarty's nickname for him) and, to quote Sherlock in HLV, Mycroft is "never wrong".

I don't think he is a virgin - and be it simply for science, experiment and research 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 1, 2014 5:31 pm  #77

Well he would have to have urges then...which statistically he's lielky to...

February 1, 2014 5:32 pm  #78

Who cares about urges when it is about science?

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 1, 2014 5:36 pm  #79

No I mean to physically be capable.

February 1, 2014 5:38 pm  #80

But the more I think about it, the more I like the virgin concept.
Actually, sex is kind of filthy and dirty, isn't it?

Board footera