BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2014 6:13 pm  #1

An East Wind

The east wind, where both Mycroft and Sherlock talk about at the end of this episode is a very interesting reference to the 1942 movie 'The Voice of Terror' starring Basil Rathbone. The east wind is used in this movie to describe the coming Nazi forces. 

Holmes' final lines from the movie: "There is an east wind coming, Watson (...) such a wind has never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter, Watson, and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it is God's wind all the less and a greener, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm is cleared."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 15, 2014 6:29 pm  #2

Re: An East Wind

It's actually a quote from the last (Chronologically)  AC Doyle story 'His Last Bow' but still refers to the upcoming German War (The Great War in this case).

As for 'The Voice of Terror', I think it's my least favourite Rathbone as Sherlock film, too technological for my appreciation of his Holmes.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

January 15, 2014 7:35 pm  #3

Thank you, interesting to know.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 17, 2014 12:39 pm  #4

m0r1arty wrote:

It's actually a quote from the last (Chronologically)  AC Doyle story 'His Last Bow' but still refers to the upcoming German War (The Great War in this case).

As for 'The Voice of Terror', I think it's my least favourite Rathbone as Sherlock film, too technological for my appreciation of his Holmes.

-m0r

Yeah, indeed, the movie actually quotes 'His Last Bow' here. Shame that I referred to the Rathbone movie first... But then, 'His Last Bow' is probably one of my least favourite stories in the Canon. For the very same reasons why 'The Voice of Terror' is not a great movie. Holmes is a detective, not a spy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 17, 2014 8:53 pm  #5

Yeah, I squealed when they did this reference. Love it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 30, 2014 1:36 am  #6

I read somewhere else that THE EAST WIND     was in reference to Mary Poppins.   remember,  she came to the banks house when the wind was in the East,  and then she left, when the west wind arrived.  Also,  there's a poem,    about the winds....It's an old nursery rhyme.  

When the wind is in the east, 
'Tis neither good for man nor beast;
When the wind is in the north,
The skilful Asher goes not forth;
When the wind is in the south,
It blows the bait in the fishes' mouth;
When the wind is in the west,
Then 'tis at the very best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 30, 2014 9:48 am  #7

Mmm, I think a SH reference is more likely. 

January 31, 2014 1:53 am  #8

I panicked a little I admit when I heard Sherlock say that..recognising it as a nod from the very end of canon and thinking noooo not the end!

I wonder now if it was perhaps a signal to the end of "strict canon" , as the move into third brother territory and other storylines may indicate.

Board footera