BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2014 10:55 pm  #41

Re: Sherlock's Mind Palace

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

miriel68 wrote:

There is also this very interesting bit with a Mary in her wedding dress, shooting Sherlock, I am not sure we have already discussed it... surely a symbolic one: Mary - wedding - pain. It opens to quite a number of implications.

Some people Interpret this as a sign of Sherlock being jealous because he's in love with John. Well, that's a possibility, if you like the subtext. However, Sherlock was nice to Mary at the wedding in TSO3, and I rather think the meaning of the mind palace scene is that it shows how "love is a dangerous disadvantage". Sherlock is not the cold, withdrawn person anymore that he used to be before Reichenbach. He has let other people into his heart, and now one of those people nearly killed him. He would have deduced earlier that Mary was an assassin if it hadn't been for his "sentiment" to come through. This woman, whom he liked, whose wedding he attended, his best friend's wife, shot him.

And part of the reason he liked Mary was because he was grateful to her for putting John back together; Mary undoubtedly played on that. In some ways it's quite remarkable that Sherlock allowed himself to feel any emotions at all after he had been shot...

January 25, 2014 11:03 pm  #42

Ozma wrote:

Why do you guys think John wasn't in his mind palace?

Swanpride wrote:

Because he is in his heart. ;-P

Also, the people who were actively helping him stay alive (Molly, Anderson, Mycroft) and who IMO represent the rational side of his mind were all part of the group who knew or believed him to still be alive after TRF.

I found Anderson's inclusion particularly interesting - Sherlock still doesn't seem to think that much of 
Anderson but he's clearly on Sherlock's side now and pretty much redefined himself by believing in Sherlock.

January 25, 2014 11:56 pm  #43

I've got a much simpler explanation for why some people are in the mind palace and others aren't. The people in the mind palace are not in the 'outside' scene that goes on at the same time, or you get interference. You see that in TSoT, where John walks into the mind palace as himself and not a mind palace character. 

I don't think there's any rule for having certain characters in the mind palace, it wouldn't surprise me if John shows up there later to represent friendship or something. 

January 26, 2014 10:56 am  #44

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Some people Interpret this as a sign of Sherlock being jealous because he's in love with John. Well, that's a possibility, if you like the subtext. However, Sherlock was nice to Mary at the wedding in TSO3, and I rather think the meaning of the mind palace scene is that it shows how "love is a dangerous disadvantage". Sherlock is not the cold, withdrawn person anymore that he used to be before Reichenbach. He has let other people into his heart, and now one of those people nearly killed him. He would have deduced earlier that Mary was an assassin if it hadn't been for his "sentiment" to come through. This woman, whom he liked, whose wedding he attended, his best friend's wife, shot him.

Oh, some people interpret everything as a Johnlock subtext, but somehow I don't think this image has such a pedestrian meaning.I think we could relate it rather to a larger topic of this season, namely - as you said - feelings are dangerous disadvantage. Never had Sherlock gone so far with his "caring" for the people as he had done on the wedding. He let himself being involved and it caused him nothing but pain. Moriarty says the same thing, equating pain with "broken heart" (he doesn't talk about the physical pain of the wound).And yet, the most  precious and soothing remembrance from the past in Sherlock's mind palace is Redbeard, in spite of the pain the lost of his beloved pet caused him.Interesting...

January 26, 2014 11:08 am  #45

Sherlock seems to have come to the conclusion that it's better to be "involved", even if that might be a risk, because the alternative would be spending the rest of his life alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 26, 2014 6:19 pm  #46

A white wedding dress is often interpreted as innocence leaving even more interpretations of that symbol of Mary in the wedding dress holding up the gun.  Mary is innocent yet acting in a violent way toward Sherlock-a dichotemy of character that needs to be resolved by Sherlock. Why did he see her as innocent when she tried to kill him? She has a problem too? Something she is trying to fight off. So inference, Mary is a "good" person being forced to do a bad thing. 

Much like Sherlock killing CAM when you think about it. A good person doing a bad thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock Holmes, "Perfectly sound analysis but I was hoping you'd go deeper."

January 26, 2014 7:51 pm  #47

sirlockofthesher wrote:

A white wedding dress is often interpreted as innocence leaving even more interpretations of that symbol of Mary in the wedding dress holding up the gun.  Mary is innocent yet acting in a violent way toward Sherlock-a dichotemy of character that needs to be resolved by Sherlock. Why did he see her as innocent when she tried to kill him? She has a problem too? Something she is trying to fight off. So inference, Mary is a "good" person being forced to do a bad thing. 

Much like Sherlock killing CAM when you think about it. A good person doing a bad thing.

I really don't think so; white wedding dresses are traditionally associated with virginity, not innocence, and Mary is pregnant which almost certainly suggests that she is not a virgin. I think John would probably remember a visit to the fertility clinic

Sherlock is much more likely to be profoundly in conflict about the fact that she is pregnant; the only experience he has to go on is his own mother who gave up a brilliant career as a mathematician for her children. This is a blind spot for him, which is why, I think, he so profoundly misjudged her in CAM's flat. It is difficult to believe that an innocent person would shoot someone who has not only not threatened her but also has just offered to help her. The only person deciding to pull the trigger was Mary...

January 26, 2014 11:32 pm  #48

Willow wrote:

sirlockofthesher wrote:

I really don't think so; white wedding dresses are traditionally associated with virginity, not innocence, and Mary is pregnant which almost certainly suggests that she is not a virgin. I think John would probably remember a visit to the fertility clinic

Sherlock is much more likely to be profoundly in conflict about the fact that she is pregnant; the only experience he has to go on is his own mother who gave up a brilliant career as a mathematician for her children. This is a blind spot for him, which is why, I think, he so profoundly misjudged her in CAM's flat. It is difficult to believe that an innocent person would shoot someone who has not only not threatened her but also has just offered to help her. The only person deciding to pull the trigger was Mary...

Yes, the white symbolizes virginity...but a man and a woman who have been living together in an intimate relationship for a while will most certainly not still be virgins, if they ever were to start with XD  Now it's more tradition than anything else.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 27, 2014 4:40 pm  #49

THe bride is wearing white. Virginity and Innocense are somewhat interchangeable terms in the US. Is this different in other parts of the world? What do you think losing your virginity equates to if not "losing one's innocensce"

Yes Mary is living with John and yes she is pregnant..but are we not talking about perceptions..In Sherlock's mind palace when he sees Mary killing him she is IN her wedding dress but afterwards in the hospital she is in the dress he first saw her in-tilting her head- and presenting someone not as "innocent"

Be careful to be so assured in your own perceptions of the show to not be open to other's perceptions.  Subjective content leaves many paths for opinions to take form.

Last edited by sirlockofthesher (January 27, 2014 4:45 pm)

January 27, 2014 6:26 pm  #50

sirlockofthesher wrote:

THe bride is wearing white. Virginity and Innocense are somewhat interchangeable terms in the US. Is this different in other parts of the world? What do you think losing your virginity equates to if not "losing one's innocensce"

Yes Mary is living with John and yes she is pregnant..but are we not talking about perceptions..In Sherlock's mind palace when he sees Mary killing him she is IN her wedding dress but afterwards in the hospital she is in the dress he first saw her in-tilting her head- and presenting someone not as "innocent"

Be careful to be so assured in your own perceptions of the show to not be open to other's perceptions.  Subjective content leaves many paths for opinions to take form.

I live in central London; my perceptions are influenced by that fact. London is a very big place with a population drawn from many different cultures; if I see a group of people all dressed in white my conclusion would be that they are probably Hindi, on their way to a funeral. There is no automatic association in my mind between white and innocence, not least because white is the colour of mourning in many Asian cultures, and there are a lot of people from many Asian cultures in London.

I appreciate that this does not jibe with your experience but as Mofftiis have noted, 'Sherlock' is deliberately and quintessentially English, just as the character of Sherlock himself is that of the quintessential Londoner; he really does believe that if you are tired of London then you are tired of life.

As for losing virginity I most definitely do not equate that to the loss of innocence, but that is irrelevant to this particular question because, as I have explained, wearing white has many different connotations in today's London. Obviously people will have different perceptions, based on their own cultural experiences, but it would make no sense to me to assume that Sherlock, who knows London like the back of his hand, doesn't know what I know.

I could just as easily argue that Hindi widows are expected to wear white, which would fit with Sherlock's fear that she is a danger to John, the one thing which brings him back from flat lining on the table; I don't because I don't think that it is necessary to go beyond the fact that her marriage to John has obviously endangered John, and Sherlock is staring into the abyss. That doesn't mean that I do not respect your response to the scenes; interpretation is in the mind of the beholder, and one of the series' great strengths is that Moftiss leave a great deal open to interpretation...

January 27, 2014 7:44 pm  #51

^ why portray Mary in a white wedding dress?  What purpose does this represent? What symbol? It's not the guise she put on to shoot Sherlock...she was all dressed in black. There is imagery here that can influence perception.  Do brides in England not wear white? Then why do they wear white?

Wikipedia

A white wedding is a traditional formal or semi-formal wedding originating in Britain.

"The term originates from the white colour of the wedding dress, which first became popular with Victorian era elites, after Queen Victoria wore a white lace dress at her wedding; however, the term now also encapsulates the entire Western wedding routine, especially in the Christian religious tradition, which generally includes a ceremony during which the marriage begins, followed by a reception....
Etiquette books then began to turn the practice into a tradition and the white gown soon became a popular symbol of status that also carried "a connotation of innocence and sexual purity."

So inference, Christian Brides wear white not just for traditional purposes but for what white represents...  Sherlock saw Mary in white shooting him. This to ME is represented by Sherlock's perception of Mary being innocent (please do not take this literally as there are MANY forms of innocence in the world)  I conclude the innocence is in the portrayal of Mary being wronged by CAM and that she is the one in need of assistance. 

An opinion that for some reason comes out as being wrong and many letting me know this. I didn't realize that opinions on interprations of subjective material  could be based in objective form.

Last edited by sirlockofthesher (January 27, 2014 7:44 pm)

January 27, 2014 8:52 pm  #52

I personally have never been shot by someone so this is purely speculative, but if I offered to help someone, and they responded by putting a bullet into my chest, I would regard myself as being the person in need of assistance, not the person who had just shot me. 

January 29, 2014 9:04 pm  #53

sirlockofthesher wrote:

An opinion that for some reason comes out as being wrong and many letting me know this. I didn't realize that opinions on interprations of subjective material  could be based in objective form.

You said that's how you thought the makers of the show intended it. People from that area are not so sure, the dress doesn't have the same connotations as it once had. That's what the speculation is about: what does the colour mean in this context? So you can't just say it must be so because I feel so, there probably is a right answer, though we may not be able to work it out. 

I don't know about Britain, but in the Nederlands, and also countries around, people get married in all kinds of colours, though white is still a popular one because of its traditional association with weddings. It no longer carries the meaning of purity or virginity and fewer and fewer people are even aware of what it might have meant in the past. My suspicion is that a similar trend is present in GB. 

I really don't think it means virginity in this show. It might still have a connotation of innocence, which forms a nice contrast against the shooting. I think that's the reason that image is there. It symbolises the shattering of the image that Sherlock has of her. 

January 31, 2014 12:20 am  #54

^ let me just once again state succintely that I do not believe it represents innocence as in virginity (I watched the show mary has sex...she is pregnant prior to getting married.

There is a reason why the writers put Mary in a white wedding dress to kill sherlock. This was a symbolic gesture by the writer.

To me this means that Mary is perceived by Sherlock to be a victim. Someone in a way innocent as percieved by Sherlock.   Then he goes back to the mind palace while in the hospital and Mary is dressed like the day he met her and is acting cold....meaning now Sherlock sees her as less innocent. He figures out she is ex CIA, assassin, whatever...

This is all I am going to write on this subject. My opinion is not coming across clearly and I am tired of being misinterpreted.  But hopefully this clears up exactly why I think she was in that damn wedding dress from hell.

Board footera