BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2014 7:40 am  #21

Re: John and Sherlock Drunk

Ah but he didn't necessarily intend Sherlock to get more drunk. He couldn't remember which drink he had put the extra shot in! He was trying to get himself more drunk. Remember the sneaky extra shot he also drank?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 27, 2014 10:54 am  #22

Davina wrote:

Ah but he didn't necessarily intend Sherlock to get more drunk. He couldn't remember which drink he had put the extra shot in! He was trying to get himself more drunk. Remember the sneaky extra shot he also drank?

Yes; in England getting drunk on your Stag Night is a rite of passage, and medical students are notoriously even keener on pub crawls than other students. I don't think John has changed much from his earlier life.

I adore it; it is as if Mofftiss decided to do the funniest stag night ever written, with the unique take on choosing the route to commemorate murders they had investigated. 

January 27, 2014 11:04 am  #23

And that "sneaky extra shot" combined with John saying "He mustn't see" makes me laugh every time I watch it, because come on...! Sherlock is not John's wife who gets furious when her husband gets drunk... right?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 27, 2014 12:10 pm  #24

Do you remember that we were kind of annoyed when Sherlock walked in into a crime scene without protection, gloves, shoes and a labcoat? e.g. in the bedroom in TRF when he looked at the footprints?
And now when he was drunk he even vomitted on the floor.
Don't compromise the crime scene.

January 27, 2014 12:34 pm  #25

Swanpride wrote:

Well, Sherlock HATES it when someone messes with his experiments.

Ah, you see, you think about experiments, I think about (somewhat cliché-ridden) husband-wife-dynamics.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 27, 2014 1:29 pm  #26

Sometimes John tries to get the upper hand or annoy Sherlock e.g. by spoiling his drinking experiment or looking into his bedroom after Sherlock told him not to.
I really like to see them playing with each other. I think maybe Sherlock told John not to look into the bedroom knowing that John would do exactly that because he wanted to know what was in there. And of course John would find Janine.

January 27, 2014 7:48 pm  #27

I didn't get the impression that it would be the start of doing a lot of drinking in the future; I got the impression neither of them liked being drunk (which, in Sherlock's case, especially, meant less in control than usual, and it interfered with his crime-solving).

January 28, 2014 9:59 am  #28

I think both of them disliked the aftermath and the hangover.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 28, 2014 4:02 pm  #29

Davina wrote:

I think both of them disliked the aftermath and the hangover.

Well, yes; it's not going to happen again so I think Moftiss went all out on our one and only chance to ever see Sherlock drunk

January 29, 2014 2:51 pm  #30

They aren't quite as wrecked as in The Game of Shadows! 

January 29, 2014 3:39 pm  #31

Oh yeah ^^

"Honk, honk." XD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 30, 2014 11:12 am  #32

Yeah! 'I've just had a fight.' 

January 30, 2014 12:13 pm  #33

Watched TSOT again last night.  I will treasure drunk Sherlock and John foever.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 30, 2014 9:16 pm  #34

I didn't remember until later: isn't Harry's drinking a cause of estrangement between her and John? Which implies he has a problem with drinking, or at least, is concerned about the effects of it.

And I also didn't think of it before but: after all of that trouble Moriarty went to to undermine Sherlock's reputation...and just when it's been restored...what if those clients he had on the "stag party night" spread the word? He'll get a reputation for being drunk on the job. Not the same thing Moriarty was trying to make him look like, but he didn't come off as particularly competent detective. And customers do talk...

In canon, Sherlock Holmes sometimes used cocaine (it wasn't illegal then) as a substitute for mental stimulation when he didn't have a case. He would never have allowed any kind of substance to interfere with his mental sharpness when on a case. It was the major thing Watson argued with him about, and perhaps the only area where Watson felt he knew better than Holmes.

January 31, 2014 9:17 am  #35

Harry is an alcoholic.

January 31, 2014 3:10 pm  #36

SherlocklivesinOH, I dunno, but we're talking about a stag night here. Don't get me wrong, I think stag nights are a pretty stupid 'invention'.
But in this case I don't think you can compare John's drinking on that evening with the habitual drinking of his sister. And yes, if the word about drunk Sherlock gets out, some potential clients might be put off, but I don't really think that it would damage his reputation in the long-run.

January 31, 2014 6:52 pm  #37

SolarSystem wrote:

SherlocklivesinOH, I dunno, but we're talking about a stag night here. Don't get me wrong, I think stag nights are a pretty stupid 'invention'.
But in this case I don't think you can compare John's drinking on that evening with the habitual drinking of his sister. And yes, if the word about drunk Sherlock gets out, some potential clients might be put off, but I don't really think that it would damage his reputation in the long-run.

Quite. If you are in deep enough trouble to need Sherlock Holmes then him getting drunk on his best friend's stag night is not going to put you off. There are plenty of teetotal detectives around but they are not Sherlock Holmes...

February 2, 2014 12:05 am  #38

I don't know if too many people have become alcoholics because getting drunk once, at a party, got them hooked. Seems like it's a risk, though, especially for those kind of prone to addiction (and I think some counselors and such say someone who has one addiction is prone to others. That's why I don't like it when getting drunk is treated as just fun with no consequences (although people drunk can certainly be funny to watch.)) And John by this time probably really does think Sherlock is indestructible. Actually, they were almost nicer people drunk.

But there's one difference between nicotine and other substances that would be important to Sherlock: nicotine has some serious potential long-term health effects, but it doesn't, in the short term, affect someone's mood or thinking the way alcohol and many other drugs do. Alcohol obviously interferes with the deduction abilities of even the great Sherlock Holmes.

February 19, 2014 1:06 pm  #39

BBC ruined Sherlock: Dancing, Drinking, Be on a wedding celebration, Saying alot of jokes, Stealing, No solving even a simple case, LOVE (oh god), Laughing all the time,...
Short version: Arthor, don't forgive them.

May 10, 2014 5:12 pm  #40

I love this sequence and how Sherlock loses himself to it. I get the impression that he doesn't drink beer often, but that he does have it sometimes because he's drinking it so easily. I like how they get back to Baker Street and move onto the hard liquor while playing the game. We already know from Baskerville that Sherlock does consume the occasional whisky, so I'm guessing he's one who likes the odd drink but not to the point of drunkedness.

The drunk deductions kill me every time (egg? chair? sitty thing? sleeeeeeeeeeep). The vomiting scene, while revolting, gets a chuckle for the prim way Sherlock wipes his mouth after. And it's probably clear from my signature that clueing for looks is my new favourite expression. Another one I like is Sherlock apologizing for his "thing", which was Benedict forgetting his line while staying in character and the director making the smart decision to keep the line in the show!

I also have to comment on Mrs. Hudson the next morning after as she reveals that she made the boys their favourite breakfast for their hangover. John's is a standard English breakfast. As for Sherlock, his is a little surprising: egg, ham, pineapple, and chips. *blinks*

(This sequence brings back fun memories of the pub crawl to end all pub crawls on Edinburgh's Royal Mile. No matter how you can plan to just get buzzed, there gets a point where you're buzzed enough for all bets to be off. I still can't believe I didn't wake up in jail!)

Mary

Last edited by maryagrawatson (May 10, 2014 5:38 pm)

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

Board footera