BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2012 1:24 pm  #1

Looking for John-knew-it-all fic

Does anyboby know post-Reichenbach fanfiction that includes the fact that John knows about Sherlocks plans to fake his death?

I´m asking that because I´ve just been reading lots of post-TGG fic, and they all seem to include some explosion or shooting to resolve the situation. Of course, now we know that all they needed was a well-placed ringing mobile, and of course noone got that before ASiB was aired. (I still think it is the best cliffhanger conclusion I´ve ever seen, purely genious!)

So, I started looking for post-Reichenbach stories that come up with an unexpected twist, for most of the post-Reichenbach fics I´ve read so far contain a broken John, a lonely Sherlock and/or some kind of dramatic reunion. There are even a few that cover supernatural stuff and suicide on John´s part, but I have yet to find one that says that John knew it all along. You see, one of the things I love the most about "Sherlock" is the non-stupid portrait of John Watson, and I´m really looking forward to finding out he was in it as well.

Besides, it gave me the creeps when I realized he was doing his version of I O U at the grave...

So, please, if you know any fanfics that does not leave him heartbroken, but cleverly acting, recommend them here!   

Pleeeaaase?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 13, 2012 6:47 am  #2

Re: Looking for John-knew-it-all fic

I doubt there would be any; and I say that because in the canon he was ignorant of Sherlock faking his own death and I think it's been taken as given that will be the case in the modernisation. It would be interesting to see someone write it differently; I just don't think it would be particularly believable or in-character for Sherlock to have included John in his plans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 14, 2012 8:59 pm  #3

I like that idea. I think I may write one now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 15, 2012 12:35 pm  #4

Yes, please, Smoggy, please do that! I´d love to read it! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 15, 2012 1:03 pm  #5

Have you tried the search of usual fanfiction sites

www.fanfiction.net
www.archiveofourown.org

or
http://sherlockbbc.livejournal.com/
Here you can post a fic search.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 16, 2012 4:21 am  #6

I also read two quite good stories where in one case John just waits (knowingly) for Sherlock, while he joins him in the other version to fight Moriarty's web.. BAMF and all.

October 16, 2012 11:04 am  #7

Ivy, thanks for the links. I´m reading stuff from fanfiction on a daily base, but have yet to find what I´ve been looking for. Will check the other two, though.

Doc, do you by any chance recall where you´ve found them? Or what they were called? It would be really great to know!

Thank you!!

October 17, 2012 9:42 am  #8

.. am currently re-sorting fan fiction and yes, I will try to find time and dig them out again.

for some strange reason I am coming across rather disturbing writings recently including slash - weird parings - and even brother incest. Interesting that some people have the need to play such fantasies out!

October 18, 2012 3:17 am  #9

The Doctor wrote:

.. am currently re-sorting fan fiction and yes, I will try to find time and dig them out again.

for some strange reason I am coming across rather disturbing writings recently including slash - weird parings - and even brother incest. Interesting that some people have the need to play such fantasies out!

Fanfiction is a mixed bag at best. On one hand you get some great literary pieces where you think that the writers HAVE to have better uses of their time, and on the other you get...well...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

November 11, 2012 3:17 pm  #10

Well, I did it!

I sat down and wrote my own John-knew-it-all story. It´s not complete yet, but the first part of it can stand alone, so I boldly published it on fanfiction.net.

I´m very grateful for Smoggy_London_Air´s help with the language. Thank you so much for reading and commenting it! 

If anyone´s interested, here´s the link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8693186/1/Soldering-On-Through-Friendly-Fire

It´s the first time I´ve published something, and I still feel very heroic about taking that step at all. But honest reviews are, of course, highly appreciated!

Last edited by Schmiezi (November 11, 2012 3:25 pm)

November 11, 2012 3:42 pm  #11

Very well done, Schmiezi!
Heart-wrenching, exciting, hopeful.
I'm looking forward to reading more!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 11, 2012 4:16 pm  #12

It just wandered onto my reading list, Schmiezi. Looking forward to reading it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 12, 2012 9:29 pm  #13

Thank you, Tobe. As it is the first story I´ve uploaded there ever, I´m very grateful for your kind review. 

And Susi, please let me know if you liked it or not!

November 13, 2012 4:18 am  #14

Nice job Schmiezi!  Even though the "John knows all" concept is against canon, it has always been a thought of mine that the Moftiss might make it the twist for Series 3 that John was in on it from the begining and played his part to a 'T' - probably because of those hidden cameras everywhere.  Personally, I don't want it to be that way - I'm looking for all the emotion I can get from the next series, and my take is that Sherlock couldn't trust John to be a good enough actor to handle his part, so he had to do what he did for realism.  But when you think about it, John is about as trustworthy as anyone can get so maybe, just maybe....he was in on it. Well, another year or so and we'll know for sure. Anyway, great job on the story and please keep on writing!  Right now, good fan fiction and this Forum are what's helping me through this interminable wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 13, 2012 7:13 am  #15

Schmiezi, this is really good and your English is excellent! I'm looking forward to the next chapter. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 13, 2012 8:02 pm  #16

Now I've finally had the time to read the first part of your story. It's great, well-written and it is an interesting twist with John knowing everything and trying to trick everybody. I wonder what he'll do next.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 30, 2014 9:04 pm  #17

This fic is not really about John knowing before the Fall that it was going to happen, but sort of figuring it out afterword. It's anticlamtic, as well as OOC, probably, but I like it for my own reasons. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9992884/1/Sunrise

I would like to read yours soon, so I probably will.

Board footera