BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 18, 2013 6:00 am  #301

Re: Recently watched movies.

Davina wrote:

The more I think about The Cloud Atlas, the more I am impressed with it. It is demanding of the viewer, very demanding but I think it is fascinating, amazing. I will have to watch it again. Soon.

Definitely!   Never read it, so had just heard about it being considered 'unfilmable', a brilliant look at intersected lives through time/connected effects between them (an idea I already love), and the movie's awesome use of the actors and well-done production.  One of those that's unfortunately hard to catch everything the first time round, too, so after letting it digest, agree that need to watch it again  (ha, and this time would at least 'know' everyone ;))
I know the book probably used the shared birthmark to illustrate that effect, and the shared deeper themes, but how (if it did at all) did it show the 'same life through different ages' ("reincarnation" if called it that) that the movie easily achieved with the visual effects of the repeated actors?  Or maybe that was just a cool visual-specific tool and the book had a different descriptive feature it used.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 18, 2013 11:50 pm  #302

Finally watched Django. Not Django Unchained but Django, the original spaghetti western. Exactly the same theme music. Franco Nero...amazing...eyes...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 19, 2013 6:29 am  #303

My friend's just got  a black pug, who she is naming Django!

Last edited by besleybean (December 19, 2013 6:30 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 19, 2013 1:55 pm  #304

Russell wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

"Nativity!"  (me, wrapped in a blanket, on my couch)

A nice little - though very predictable - Christmas movie from 2009 with Martin playing a primary school teacher who's in charge of directing the school's musical version of the Nativity.
Martin's face expressions are once again so adorable.
I almost felt like crying myself when he cried...

Awesome! After hearing about it only thanks to this forum/fanning over Martin, I finally finally just ordered a copy, in time to watch for xmas… he looked comically adorable in it.

He is. I fell in love with him watching it.
Btw it will be on BBCtwo next sunday I believe....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 1, 2014 9:47 am  #305

I watched "Independence Day" yesterday (got the DVD for Christmas) and yeah ... it's one of my favorite films, nothing else to say ;D

♥ I AM SHERLOCKED ♥
                                                              and I ship Johnlock harder than Mrs. Hudson ;-)

January 1, 2014 4:34 pm  #306

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

January 8, 2014 9:02 am  #307

Desolation of Smaug - fantastic movie! (especially Smaug )
Now you see me - great film - I love Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harelson in this one
The hunger games - catching fire - Jennifer Lawrence ist just awesome
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - this movie made me cry

January 12, 2014 5:04 am  #308

I went and saw SAVING  Mr. Banks.   Emma thompson was  wonderful as P L Travers.   I  loved the movie so much,  I'll buy it when It comes out on dvd.   tell them to hurry that up,  ok? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 12, 2014 9:44 am  #309

I recently watched "The Adventures of Tintin". I liked it, but it's not gonna be one of my favorite movies.

♥ I AM SHERLOCKED ♥
                                                              and I ship Johnlock harder than Mrs. Hudson ;-)

January 13, 2014 12:09 pm  #310

Breakfast on Pluto with the wonderful Cillian Murphy (also Brendon Gleeson, Liam Neeson etc.) Cross dressing, trans-gender teenager. Him and his cheekbones! This is a great film. Funny, sad, poignant, hard-hitting. Some strong language and violence. I recommend!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 17, 2014 1:20 pm  #311

Shadow of the Vampire.
A great John Malkovich and a superb WIllem Dafoe. Now I need to watch Nosferatu by Murnau. (I love the old silent movies)

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 17, 2014 4:58 pm  #312

I saw The Railway Man Tuesday night.
Very good, tho a tad harrowing.
I had enjoyed the book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 9:04 pm  #313

5 days of War. A important film about the Russian invasion of Georgia. If you have not seen this then do so. Very, very harrowing and very, very sad. Especially the very end.

Despicable Me. Clever, funny, good all round entertainment.

Star Trek: Nemesis. I saw this ages ago and watched it again for, I confess, no other reason than it has Tom Hardy in a leading role. 

January 21, 2014 8:41 pm  #314

"Resident Evil: Retribution" 
As the first and second RE movies were quite good, this recent one was far from it - alas, the worst of them.

The Road goes ever on and on...

January 23, 2014 10:46 pm  #315

My review (of sorts) for 12 Years a Slave which I saw on Tuesday is in the section on Benedict's other work.

January 30, 2014 11:52 am  #316

12 Years a Slave
The Other Boleyn Girl
Amazing Grace

I'm working my way through Bendict's filmopgraphy. ;)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

January 30, 2014 11:58 am  #317

Saw American Hustle last week.  Loved it!   Was also, being of a certain age,  highly amused at the 70's clothes and loved the soundtrack.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 30, 2014 12:05 pm  #318

12 Years a Slave. was a really "hard" movie but also really really good.

January 30, 2014 1:14 pm  #319

Saw 242 films last year. The best ones released in 2013 that I saw were GRAVITY, ZERO DARK THIRTY, ARGO, IRON MAN 3, BEFORE MIDNIGHT and the second HOBBIT movie.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

February 2, 2014 1:46 am  #320

Wreckers and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Two films I had started a year ago and that I now finally finished.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

Board footera