BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2014 12:54 am  #41

Re: Redbeard

I am just rewatching Hound of Baskerville and at the end John and Sherlock talk about the ordinary black dog of the restaurant that they didn't put down themselves. Sherlock doesn't understand, why they couldn't do it. Makes no sense after Redbeard, does it? So I guess they came up with that idea later?

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 29, 2014 5:09 am  #42

zeratul wrote:

I am just rewatching Hound of Baskerville and at the end John and Sherlock talk about the ordinary black dog of the restaurant that they didn't put down themselves. Sherlock doesn't understand, why they couldn't do it. Makes no sense after Redbeard, does it? So I guess they came up with that idea later?

Indeed, I was thinking the same. Not sure why they needed a put down dog of all things to find something to calm Sherlock down in HLV. And to use as a pressure point against him by CAM. Maybe we will learn more about Readbeard one day?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 29, 2014 6:43 am  #43

Sherlock was looking for something he loved to comfort him and found the memory of his old dog...
Also, he recovered from it's death.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 29, 2014 6:52 am  #44

Yeah, but why then didn't he understand the guys in Baskerville?
I guess it's kind of a an error.

January 29, 2014 6:58 am  #45

Oh I see...
Denial, presumably.
Or maybe he had genuinely forgotten about Redbeard, until Mycroft reminded him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 29, 2014 3:02 pm  #46

Or he says that, even though he knows exactly why they would feel like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 29, 2014 3:16 pm  #47

Davina wrote:

Or he says that, even though he knows exactly why they would feel like that.

This.
Watched Baskerville again yesterday - he looks understanding at first and says "I see" - when John says "no you don't", he then says "no I don't - sentiment?" - playing along with John's view of him.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

January 29, 2014 3:19 pm  #48

Hmm need to watch his face again.

January 29, 2014 3:25 pm  #49

Well, he had that sentiment when he was a child. He probably didn't deem it appropriate for a grown man to feel the same since his growing up had to do with getting rid of those kinds of feelings. Or he'd forgotten. 

But, to take a Doylan perspective, Baskerville was written before so what we're doing is shoehorning post hoc explanations.

January 31, 2014 1:14 am  #50

Personally I think that Sherlock's reaction to "Rebeard" suggests that Redbeard has additional meanings.

1) Perhaps it is some sort of password that was named after his beloved dog, like how Pink Lady used her daughter's name for her cell phone. Sherlock thought he had control over what he fed to CAM through Janine, but he is a lot more vulnerable and exposed if CAM has been reading his e-mails or text messages.

2) Perhaps Mycroft is the only one who knows about Redbeard, suggesting a breach in Mycroft's (and by extension the British government's) security.

3) My favorite- Perhaps Redbeard was one of the things that Mycroft sold to Moriarty that did not make the papers. This might have been CAM's way of hinting to Sherlock that he has or had some connection to Moriarty. Perhaps Sherlock is freaked by the possibility that he hasn't completely eradicated Moriarty's ring. Not only would he be in danger, but so would John, Mrs. Hudson, and Lestrade.

January 31, 2014 6:47 am  #51

I had made the connection that CAM may have been linked to Moriarty.
But I hadn't made the final jump that in killing CAM, Sherlock thought he had at last destroyed the network.

January 31, 2014 3:10 pm  #52

^Which is perhaps the real reason that Sherlock stopped Mary from killing CAM. He wanted to do it himself.

January 31, 2014 5:36 pm  #53

Not so sure on that...
And he didn't stop her, anyway..she just would have had to kill him, too!

January 31, 2014 6:23 pm  #54

A Lemon Tree wrote:

^Which is perhaps the real reason that Sherlock stopped Mary from killing CAM. He wanted to do it himself.

But Sherlock thought he was stopping his client, Lady Smallwood, from killing CAM; I don't think we can forget that fact. And Sherlock has hitherto not displayed any signs of thinking that killing people is an ideal solution to problems...

February 1, 2014 2:20 pm  #55

If you want to kill someone and you see an assassin trying to kill that very person, the stupidest thing you can do is interrupt the assassin. 

The writers said somewhere that the Redbeard story was a dog that was put down and his parents made him believe that he went to a nice place instead and Mycroft teased him about it. Something like that anyway, it's in the empire podcast. 

February 1, 2014 4:13 pm  #56

God I'm sobbing.

February 3, 2014 7:42 pm  #57

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

After much debating on the forum over the past week, we finally got to find out who Redbeard was/is...it's Sherlock's childhood dog!

I was really really happy with that actually, but I was wondering...what do you guys think happened to Redbeard? Obviously something bad that Sherlock was upset over, which is why Mycroft uses it as a sort of reminder for him not to get too attached or emotionally involved with anything.

I've just watched this last night. The introduction of the dog struck a chord in all us dog-lovers. 

One thing I expected at the end, with the helicopter buzzing over head, and the scene switches from grown Sherlock to the boy Sherlock was that the flashback to Redbeard would show Sherlock doing something like putting the dog out of its pain himself--shooting it, even as a boy, in the way a cowboy might put down his injured horse. Takes guts to do that. Would it be believable? Maybe. It is Sherlock. As believable as Mary putting a bullet in someone she knows and likes. 

February 3, 2014 9:13 pm  #58

The writers have said that  Redbeard was put down and Sherlock was tricked into thinking the dog had gone to live on a farm or something.
Seeing how attached Sherlock gets to anyone who shows real friendship to him, I assume that when he learned the truth, he reacted badly.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 3, 2014 9:46 pm  #59

Sob.

February 8, 2014 3:09 am  #60

Ozma wrote:

Redbeard got put down.

So heartbreaking, I just can't....

Did you catch Sherlock's line, "They're putting me down too, this time?"

Board footera