BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2014 5:37 pm  #1

anyone know the root of "trick cyclist"?

Like others I thought Sholto asked John, "No more need for the tricyclics?" and it was mis-heard as "trick cyclist."  But then it turns out trick cyclist is British slang for psychiatrist.  John wouldn't reply "I go in now and then" if he were referring to anti-depressant meds, so "trick cyclist" must be what Sholto said.  Surely the slang "trick cyclist" comes from the drugs "tricyclics"?  Any one know for sure?
Love this show!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The suspense is killing me.  I hope it will last.
Twice.

January 27, 2014 6:01 pm  #2

Re: anyone know the root of "trick cyclist"?

The term "trick cyclist" is indeed slang for a psychiatrist. And the close caption wording for Sholto's comment does say trick cyclist as well.  John replies with,  "I go in now and then.  Sort of a top-up.  Therapy can be very helpful."

But I couldn't find out anything about the origin of the term.  If sounds just a tad derogatory, doesn't it?

Actually I always watch Sherlock with the close captioning turned on because the dialogThe term "trick cyclist" is indeed slang for a psychiatrist. And the close caption wording for Sholto's comment does say trick cyclist as well.  John replies with,  "I go in now and then.  Sort of a top-up.  Therapy can be very helpful."

But I couldn't find out anything about the origin of the term.  If sounds just a tad derogatory, doesn't it?

Actually, I always watch Sherlock with the close caption turned on, because the dialog goes flying by fast and furious, and those British phrases sometimes require a quick background check so I can figure out what the heck somebody just said -- and what it meant.

Last edited by Bruce Cook (January 27, 2014 6:13 pm)

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

January 27, 2014 6:17 pm  #3

I don't know the exact origin of the word trick cyclist but I think it refers not to tricyclics but to arctual trick cycling or artistic cycling, you know that thing where the bikers do a lot a fancy stunts that maybe good to look at but aren't really useful.
Since trick cyclist is army slang for psychiatrist I think this is a more logical root when one holds in mind how soldiers generally think of psychiatrists.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 27, 2014 9:16 pm  #4

It's certainly been in common use in England since at least WW2; I know people in the RAF used it as well as the Army.

January 27, 2014 11:44 pm  #5

If trick cyclist has been around since WWII then it can't be from tricyclics, which came out in the late 50s. Thank y'all!

Twice.

February 3, 2014 11:53 pm  #6

Bruce Cook wrote:

Actually, I always watch Sherlock with the close caption turned on, because the dialog goes flying by fast and furious, and those British phrases sometimes require a quick background check so I can figure out what the heck somebody just said -- and what it meant.

I am glad I am not the only one who has this issue. First time around I even missed the whole discussion of how Sherlock taught John to dance "behind closed curtains," etc.

February 4, 2014 1:24 am  #7

"Trick cyclist" sounds like a corruption of the word "psychiatrist" - and a way to minimize the stigma of having to go to one, maybe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 4, 2014 2:10 am  #8

Yes, I think you're right.  Closer to "tricyclics" but I think that's it.

Twice.

February 4, 2014 6:54 am  #9

Normally I'd say Google is your friend, but interestingly, the internet doesn't really seem to know where it came from either. Some sites say it's Cockney rhyming slang, which is weird because it doesn't really rhyme with "psychiatrist".

February 4, 2014 9:05 am  #10

It seems that John used that term to make fun of the fact that he was in need of help and to show that he had no problem with that. Which I don't believe.
The use of this term can be called malapropism. Sometimes a person makes a mistake and uses a word that sounds similar but has a slightly different meaning. The number of syllables and the way the word is stressed is correct, but what comes out is funny or a bit revealing about the speaker himself. Or a person can do that deliberately which we see here.
Apparently Shakespeare was the first to do that in his plays.
I like the way the writers play with words.

February 4, 2014 5:09 pm  #11

I thought Sholto said 'psyche visits' or in fact just 'psychiatrist'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 4, 2014 5:20 pm  #12

The good transcript says "trick cyclist" and it's British slang for psychiatrist, so that's what he said, it seems.  

Twice.

March 9, 2014 10:29 pm  #13

He definitely said "trick cyclist" and I'm almost 100% certain it's Cockney rhyming slang. It's not just confined to a few miles of Bow's Bells or East London and it's always changing like most languages. For example you may hear someone say "have a butchers..." They are telling you to take a "butcher's hook" or a look. My favourite phrase is "I'm not listerine!" It means they are not "anti- septic"' or anti-American. The Brits call Americans "Yanks" and in Cockney rhyming slang they call Americans "septic tanks" or just "septics"  so  "anti septics" are anti American. I've been here in London for over 10 years and it took a bit to get used to the slang. It's a bit of a fun once you get the hang of it and then it easier to tell if someone's "taking the Mickey" with you. Hope that helps some

June 1, 2015 10:15 pm  #14

@scrapplecakes:
Unrelated but: common misconception about "Bow's Bells"... a true cockney is said to be born within hearing distance of "Bow bells" and refers to St Mary le Bow on Cheapside in the City, not the area of Bow in East London. Most people in this category in the 20th Century would have been born in St Bartholomews Hospital (Barts). Nowadays however there are very few residents in that part of the City.

At the point that the phrase probably came into use. Bow in East London would have been a villiage outside the "town" of London, let alone the City.

Board footera